Motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic Blend Base Oil Research

Status
Not open for further replies.
In looking at the specs ford gives for the full and semi syns. There is really small differences in the numbers. Maybe someone can comment on whether these differences are significant since most are a few percentage points

MC Synthetic Blend/MC Full Synthetic
Specific Gravity 0.861/0.852
Density lb./gal 7.17/7.09
Flash Point C(F) 224(435)/229(444)
Viscosity
cst @ 100 C 8.7/8.3
cst @40 C 50/45.9
cst @ -30 C 5300/4000
Pour Point C(F)

Last edited:
Very little difference going from group II+/III blend to Group III. I see a benefit with full synthetics where cold temperatures are concerned, but I live in Texas. Also looks like the full synthetic in this comparison was blended with slightly lower viscosity base stocks.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share all of this!
thumbsup2.gif

Interesting thread. Good find modularv8.

I think Ford is the best of the big 3.

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Thats great! It's nice to hear that about any new car anymore but especially a domestic one. If it's about my beloved Ford it's even better!
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

Milan and Fusion are imports. Made in Hermosillo, Mexico. Time to buy U.S. (but not gm?) It where their made thats more important than Brand. Where its made give us many blue collar and dirty whire collar jobs. 18% unemployment now, guys(the 10% is just those collecting).
Whatever dude. Go somewhere else and troll. I've been associated with Ford for 28 years and they are the only one's doing it right at this time. I don't care if the Fusion is built in Puckeyhuttle Ethopia it's still a Ford and Ford is an American company and the PROFITS go here. Enough said!
thumbsup2.gif

Troll? Namecalling just because you dont like my statement? Not enough said, SAJ. If Businesses arent employing you and me and the blue collar that makes up the majority of the US population - nobody will be buying anything. We're almost donefor as it is. I do like Ford didnt ask for bailout $$ but unless we start making most stuff in the lower 48 (and alaska) forget it. This is the tipping point.

Last edited:
I hate to break it to you but the "fat cats" create a lot of jobs. The tipping point was almost 2 decades ago. The "buy American" slogan is just a slogan. All vehicles are built with parts sourced globally. The whole "the profits go here" is meaningless. GM is shifting it's focus on selling vehicles in China. They have just surpassed the 1.5 million units mark...since they are not profitable we get no benefit.

Thats great! It's nice to hear that about any new car anymore but especially a domestic one. If it's about my beloved Ford it's even better!
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

Milan and Fusion are imports. Made in Hermosillo, Mexico. Time to buy U.S. (but not gm?) It where their made thats more important than Brand. Where its made give us many blue collar and dirty whire collar jobs. 18% unemployment now, guys(the 10% is just those collecting).
Whatever dude. Go somewhere else and troll. I've been associated with Ford for 28 years and they are the only one's doing it right at this time. I don't care if the Fusion is built in Puckeyhuttle Ethopia it's still a Ford and Ford is an American company and the PROFITS go here. Enough said!
thumbsup2.gif

Troll? Namecalling just because you dont like my statement? Not enough said, SAJ. If Businesses arent employing you and me and the blue collar that makes up the majority of the US population - nobody will be buying anything. We're almost donefor as it is. I do like Ford didnt ask for bailout $$ but unless we start making most stuff in the lower 48 (and alaska) forget it. This is the tipping point.

I posted this in another thread:

Assembly is done where it makes the most sense. If it costs Honda less to use non-Union workers in the states to assemble the cars for the domestic market, then that is the route they will take.

Likewise, for low-margin vehicles like the Fusion, which are high volume, if Ford can assemble them in Mexico and make more money on them, helping boost their income and pay their loans back, while still providing a SUPERIOR product, I don't have a problem with that. They have PLENTY of American plants and PLENTY of vehicles assembled in states, such as:

Ford Explorer: Louisville Kentucky, St. Louis Missouri.
Ford Expedition: Wayne, Michigan
Ford Escape: Avon Lake, Ohio
Ford Focus: Wayne, Michigan
Ford F-150: Dearborn Michigan, Kansas City Missouri
Ford Super Duty: Louisville Kentucky
Ford Taurus: Chicago, Illinois
Ford Mustang: Flat Rock, Michigan
Ford Ranger: Saint Paul Minnesota, Edison New Jersey, Louisville Kentucky
Ford E-Series: Avon Lake, Ohio

And the two Canadian ones:
Ford Flex: Oakville, Ontario (Canada)
Ford Edge: Oakville, Ontario (Canada)

That's a pretty long list.

I agree 100% overk1ll, great post. People seem to just focus on the fact that the Fusion is built in Mexico and forget all of Ford's other U.S. plants AND the fact that it's a great car. Ford is, for the most part, sticking with the American union worker and doing they're part to pull this industry up by the bootstraps. I just think all us loyal Ford nuts and those that aren't should give them a little credit for a job well done lately and all the buying support we can. Ok...off my soapbox now.
34.gif

Everyone has an opinion. My opinion is that it is a shame this thread went from talking about the "Base Oil Research" of Motorcraft 5W-20 to a back and forth about where a car is made.

Ok...now I'm off my soapbox.

Originally Posted By: buster
For the $, MC oils is as good as it gets IMO.

thumbsup2.gif

It's one of the best oils out there! Period.

No need to apologize. A company does have to #1 be viable to employ someone in the 1st place. Me, out of work since January. Was at a startup developing automotive* and military parts. Got a dog in the fight.
- Onto the 5w-20. Can the MCSS be run under warranty in my 08 yaris 1.5 1nzfe stick car? I dont understand the TSB, seems conflicted, says to absolutely use what's printed on the oil fill cap, then it gives a list of approved engines (including 1nzfe) for 5w-20 GF4 as Genuine Toyota Motor Oil.

* YPR attitide sensor, tire pressure sensors and airbag G-load sensors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
5w-30 SM/GF-4 has killed every car you've run it in, and now you want to drop down to 5w-20?

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Everyone has an opinion. My opinion is that it is a shame this thread went from talking about the "Base Oil Research" of Motorcraft 5W-20 to a back and forth about where a car is made.

Ok...now I'm off my soapbox.

+1

Back to the oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back