Motor Trend March 1998: Honda SSX w/V5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like going back through old car magazines and seeing the trends and what was reported back then. Back when the S2000 was still in development, Motor Trend reported a 2.0L V5 engine as an option in the upcoming S2000, along with an automatic transmission!

CjqCKg1.jpg

ng6DBzO.jpg

Bonus: MotorUp Engine Treatment

baygVAf.jpg

I believe it was MT that also ran the ad for the car wax that made cars invisible to radar and laser.When the Feds investigated they found the guy taking the orders was "going" to use the money to hire a chemist to actually make the wax....

And what a car that S2000 turned out to be! Somewhat of a legend in its own time and a future classic. As an owner/enthusiast it's interesting to read what was planned v. what ended up seeing production (not counting the V5).

MotorUP!! As Seen on TV!! Haha,awesome!! Funny thing,anything "As Seen on TV" is always a scam :p

Honda actually did better engineering work on the SSR. 240 HP and rev to 9,000 RPM from a 2.0L 4-cyl was the best normally aspirated engine 15 years ago, and it only required conventional 10W30 API SH, no fancy synthetic xW40 or xW50. 15 years later not many normally aspirated engines can make 120 HP/L.

Was this engine going to be similar to the VW VR5? That is the only 5 cylinder engine I can think of that wasn't inline.

The VW VR5 was like a VR6 minus one cylinder.

Motor up! HA. I had a 71 K-5 Blazer for years. We just used it to off road. The SBC had over 300,000 hard miles on it. Well it started to smoke and for 2 years I would add that to it and in reality it did help with oil usage. Finally put a crate motor in it. Sold it when I got divorced. Should have kept that thing. It was a good off roader, plus a full convertible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back