MOTOR OIL “WEAR PROTECTION” RANKING LIST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Do tell us of your credentials

I'm just a dumb guy with a Lathe and Mill...

This is just as stupid as Amsoil's 3 ball test. A single test parameter (That does not apply directly to anything in a running engine) should not influence which oil one chooses.

Testing a lubricant in its failure mode makes as much sense as testing tires for road holding, without any pressure in them.

Not methodology. Method.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Originally Posted By: Shannow
No, it was a statement that his testing methodology was flawed, was measuring a parameter that's not part of any engine operation you or I are going to ever see, and does not rationally conclude that "thin is in"...and had been discussed rationally on other places on the board.

Thin oil is not the problem... his testing methodology is the problem...

I missed the thread starter's paragraphs, tables and such.

I shake my head each time I see something like this.

Who the heck is going to read that?

Nevermind... it came from 540Rat. That's enough for me... thread interest has now waned.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I use Mobil 1 10W/40 Synthetic motorcycle oil in my ZX14 and Liqui Moly 5W/40 Synthetic motorcycle oil in my Aprilia Tuono. Since this may be the 1st post in this thread that is actually motorcycle related can someone tell me if i’m using the correct oil before my motors blow up?...hehe

Just out of curiousity i ask this question. How many of you have actually had an oil related motor failure by using a good quality correct viscosity oil? I’ve been driving and riding motorcycles for over 45 years and never had a failure in any vehicle i’ve owned because i use good quality oil. Could it be that waaaay too much hype is made about oil? In fairness please answer if haven’t had failures also.

Just out of curiousity i ask this question. How many of you have actually had an oil related motor failure by using a good quality correct viscosity oil? I’ve been driving and riding motorcycles for over 45 years and never had a failure in any vehicle i’ve owned because i use good quality oil. Could it be that waaaay too much hype is made about oil? In fairness please answer if haven’t had failures also.
If you’re interested in that topic or have a question then start a new thread rather than digging this one up. It’s a different topic altogether.

When is a failure oil related? If oi turns into carbon in a turbocharger, is that oil related or temperature management? If timing chains wear out, oil related? Spun big end bearing?

When is a failure oil related? If oi turns into carbon in a turbocharger, is that oil related or temperature management? If timing chains wear out, oil related? Spun big end bearing?
None of which has any significance in regards to the topic of this thread. Again a good topic perhaps for a new thread, not this garbage thread about a garbage website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back