Motor Mounts (2001 Nissan Sentra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2001 Nissan Sentra 2.0 with the SR20DE engine if that matters. 124K on the odometer. About a year and a half ago I replaced the motor mounts with el’cheapo aftermarket ones. Went to pick it up from the shop and drove it away with nearly the same dang rumble it had before they were replaced. My mechanic informed that the AM mounts are not good but he put them on because I wanted him to. He did inform me of this beforehand but I didn’t want to spend $600.00 to by the OEM from Nissan. So, after that replacement I kept thinking I should have replaced the trans mount as well but didn’t. Mechanic didn’t think it looked bad. So I purchased an OEM from Nissan and installed it with the help of a friend. Was actually pretty easy.. Problem gone…smooth and quiet. After a month or two…problem is back again so I decided to just drive it until present day. I can’t stand it anymore. I purchased the OEM parts and they will be installed this coming Monday. Do any of you have any experience with these? My mechanic presumed they were Hydraulic filled but come to found out the OE ones are not.

That's a lot of money on a 16 year old car. In my opinion those years of Nissan's just weren't as good as they are now. Just drive it till you sell it or till it dies. Its not worth it.

The reason I want to continue driving it without it sound like an egg beater and replace the mounts is because the engine runs perfectly…literally is dry as a bone. This engine does not so much as seep any oil whatsoever. No rust.. My best friend who sold it to me kept it treated every year. Transmission is also strong. I can Easily hit 200K or more. And 600.00 in parts is two car payments..woopty...its paid off. I hate car payments and drive mine to the junk yard. But with no mounts, unfortunately it wouldn't even make it there...LOL

Last edited:
I've tried Anchor motor mounts (made in India), Beck Arnley motor mounts (made in Taiwan) and Westar motor mounts (made in South Korea) all on my 03 Honda CRV. Eventually they all failed due to tears. I am now back to OEM Honda and could not be happier. The Genuine Honda OEM mounts last a long, long, time before failure. For me, at least in my application, the aftermarket motor mounts just don't last like OEM.

Well thank you.. That gives me a little more encouragement. Its just terrible to leave it like it is. This car has so much life left in it. I could care less if it was 30 years old. Cars are the single most worst investment, next to a home… Unless of course you were lucky enough to by a house in the 50’s or 60’s.

If you can weld/fabricate then make grp.4/'cup' style brackets and use poly bushes to fit,
Or,
Fill standard replacement mounts with urethane.

Solid mounting shakes things loose..

So this is the culprit
smile.gif

As you can see from the exterior condition the interior is just as good, like brand new, and runs like new.. but not the motor mounts. So would you just let them go and wait for the engine to hit the ground on a 2001 Sentra in this condition?

Last edited:
Worth buying OEM mounts for that car, IMHO. Looks to be in fantastic shape. That SR20DE is a phenomenal engine. My sister had a '96 G20 (same engine) and it ran like a top at over 300K miles on whatever was cheapest at the time dino oil. After a few accidents over the years, it just wasn't worth keeping around, but that motor was awesome. Never leaked, never burned, didn't have a care in the world.

Originally Posted By: Olas
If you can weld/fabricate then make grp.4/'cup' style brackets and use poly bushes to fit,
Or,
Fill standard replacement mounts with urethane.

Solid mounting shakes things loose..

I would take some of your old broken mounts and put polyurethane inserts into them.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
I didn’t want to spend $600.00 to by the OEM from Nissan.

Is that the mail ordered price?
Problem is on a car that old, are you really getting an OEM part, or a rebaded aftermarket part, or maybe a new old stock OEM part?

Car in my sig also has an sr20de and I replaced all the engine mounts with OEM at around 140k.
It had a slight shake at idle before and after the new mounts.
The OEM passenger side mount was oil filled on my car.

I would get OEM mounts back in it and check for things that would cause a rough idle. (idle speed, dirty throttle plate, fuel filter/injectors)

I've seen many sr20de cars in the junkyard with over 300k and a few over 400k miles so yours has lots of life left.

Yup AM mounts are total garbage.

Bought a set for my Focus and started a thread a while ago about it.
Went to install the OEM (used) mounts and everything was fine again.

Never making that mistake again!

Thanks for all your input guys. Yeah, I do love that SR20DE. Car puts out 140-145 HP in that tiny little car. Not super-fast, but not shabby.. Its quick around town. Once I had it up to 125 MPH.. I don’t do that anymore…I probably did that 2-3 times. Wasn’t close to redlining and was smooth as glass at that speed. I think its governed right around there anyway.

AM mounts, the rubbers are a bit harder so there will be some vibrations.
Next time if you can source a brand called RBI, these engine mounts will serve you well and for a long time but there would be some vibrations due to the rubber being a bit harder.

Im using it in my n16 sentra/sunny/almera/bluebird sylphy (so much names depends on your country)

Originally Posted By: Kool1
at least in my application, the aftermarket motor mounts just don't last like OEM.
Glad you got some mileage out of factory parts. My Honda V6 mounts were fragile. Rubber torn, engine moving too much. All 5 failed by the time it was 7 yrs old. Including the hard to replace rear mount by firewall. Aftermarket not much different in failing early. Junk engine mounts, junk transmission, junk dealer service dept, junk sliding doors.

Nope..they are 600.00. Man I wish they were only 300.00. The link for Nissan and it's diagram were a PITA to read.. but add up the 4 mounts and 600.00 total. Nissan is proud of those..LOL. oh and get this...dealer wants to charge 489.00 to install...lol.. my mechanic said he can do it for 80 -100 dollars.

Last edited:
11270-4Z000 / Mount Insulator 36.40
11220-2J210 / Mount Insulator 103.95
11210-5U000 / Side Mount 107.84
11320-4Z005 / Rear Insulator 95.03

Total 343.22 Throw $30 in for shipping and its under $375. I don't know but it sounds like you paid retail +10% which is common for DIY walk in.

Total 548.43 +10% 603.27

I was just a little shocked at that 600 price tag because I know I can go to the dealer I do parts business with and get them for $325 out the door.

BTW don't feel too bad if this was a Odyssey van with VCM it could be $600 for one (yes 1) mount.

Last edited:
No wait. wth!!!. How do I get that deal? My mechanic can't even get them for that price.
Guess I stand corrected

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back