04 Nissan Sentra Alternator Options

Looking to replace the alternator on my 04 Nissan Sentra 1.8.
There are a lot of options with a pretty big range of prices. Dealer part number 2310M-42400RW and was 478.92 + 75.00 core
One mechanic told me to stay away from Carquest and recommended Denzo.
Here is Rock Auto's selection.
Rock Auto Nissan Alternators
Are any of these options more dependable than others, or are there other options from other vendors I should consider?

$279 for a AutoZone Duralast Gold alternator which is brand new with a lifetime warranty. I have good luck out of Duralast alternators.

Never buy a remanufactured alternator that is where you are likely to run into problems. Out of RockAuto's options personally I would choose the AC Delco.

IMO, a lot of it depends on how easy the alternator is to remove and replace and if you can DIY. If it's a nightmare, OEM all the way.

I'd even be cautious of some dealer parts counter units. They can be remans just like a regular parts store.
This is pretty much exactly how I choose parts. If it is an easy swap I'll gamble with cheaper (usually) if it is a big headache I'll get OEM or something highly recommended.

If the labor's free I'd seek out a low mileage OE unit from a junkyard or ebay.
If nothing else, you can then have the suspect unit rebuilt.

Depending on how quick you need the car up and running again, maybe there is a local rebuild shop that does good work.

Can you go with OEM, but buy from a Nissan dealership's online part's deptment over the web, as most dealership parts departments have 3 prices for each part:

[1] The 100% market price if you let dealership service department get the part from the parts department:
[2] The price if you buy the part in person at the parts department (Still a huge markup on the price), but a lot cheaper than [1].
[3] The price if you buy from same parts department on their website, usually significantly cheaper than [1] or [2] above.

I like to go with option [4], which is finding a cheaper dealership parts deparment possibly in another state, where their online price is close to wholesale.

Also, if all else fails, I would go with Denso new, or if not available, Denso remanufactured (from Denso's website only).

Reactions: JTK
I see 80 amp and 100 amp options.
The dealer could not tell me which I have (or am supposed to have) from the VIN. This alternator that is in there now is not the original (was changed by an outside mechanic while I was out of town), so I don't know what it is until I take it out.
Any ideas how I can identify if I need the 80 or 100 amp?

The dealer could not tell me which I have (or am supposed to have) from the VIN. This alternator that is in there now is not the original (was changed by an outside mechanic while I was out of town), so I don't know what it is until I take it out.
Is the connector different between the two?

perhaps the 1.8L has the 80A alternator, while the 2.5 has the 100A :unsure:

whats the vin? Nissan absolutely has that in the notes for the part with the vin

Local rebuilder would be my first choice if you have one around.
This is the best answer if it’s available to you. Search for auto electric places and check their Google reviews.

I have a local shop that makes their living rebuilding alternators and starters and they do a fantastic job with quality parts…cheaper than you’d buy a junk reman unit for.

Narrowed down to Delco New for 175.00, Bosch rebuild for 195.00 and Denso rebuild for 265.00.
The Delco is from RA or Parts Geek, the Bosch and Denso from Amazon. Tried Denso direct, but they do not sell direct to consumers.
I chose Amazon, because their returns are easy and free if there is a problem and no core charge (core charge is built in to cost since they are more expensive). I feel like by the time I pay consumer rates for return shipping, plus the time, the core refund will not be significant for less expensive alternators from RA or parts geek, plus returns are a hassle and time consuming if there is a problem.
Did a quick search for rebuilders, there are not many close to me and the first one I called did not answer phone, plus, I am sure the alternator that is in the car now is not original anyways, so most likely will not take that approach, although it would be a good option if I had more time to search out that resource.

Back