Motocraft FL-822 Cut Open Pixs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was on my 2004 Nissan Altima with the 3.5L V6 (VQ35) engine. I bought the car used from the local Ford dealership in Jan and did the first oil change since I got it. The dealer changed the oil and filter, and put a Motocraft FL-822 on it when the took the car in, and the FL-822 is the correct MC filter for this engine (first thing I checked after I got the car). The oil was just conventional, bulk 5W-30 they had at the dealership.

There was 4000 miles on the oil & filter. After cutting it open I was very impressed with the construction and shape of the filer element. I know 4000 miles isn't much use, but it sure looked good. And it was super clean inside ... I could only find just a hint of black debris on the dirty side of the element. The car only has 22K miles on it, and has had regular 4000 mile OCIs.

The bypass valve design was kind of neat ... it had that flat spring with spiral cuts in it. The flat plate riveted in the center to the flat spring is the bypass valve. It took quite a bit of force to make the bypass valve open - didn't measure the force, but it wasn't a weak spring by any means.

The ADBV was still very soft and pliable. I really liked how they integrated the ADBV to make a tight positive seal between the filter base and base end of the element cartridge.

The element has quite a few pleats, so is this a hint that this particular MC filter was made by Purolator? How about that bypass valve ... who makes them like that (Purolator)?

Anyway ... if you have a vehicle that uses this filter I wouldn't hesitate to run it. I put a NAPA Gold (# 1356) on this time (with Mobil 1 Clean 5000 5W-30), but this MC FL-822 is also top notch also IMO. I think they are about $6~7 at the Ford dealer.

BTW, these are all the filters that can be ran on my V6 Altima, so this FL-822 should cross over to any of these. These are all the "long version" filters.

1356 NAPA GOLD
3323 ROBERT BOSCH
51356 WIX
B1402 BALDWIN FILTERS
FL822 MOTOCRAFT
L14610 PUROLATOR
PL14610 PUROLATOR

Filter1a.jpg

Filter2a.jpg

Filter3a.jpg

Filter4a.jpg

Filter5a.jpg

Filter6a.jpg

Filter7a.jpg

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
MotorCraft is a Quality Product!

X2. Filter looks to be in decent shape.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
The bypass valve design was kind of neat ... it had that flat spring with spiral cuts in it. The flat plate riveted in the center to the flat spring is the bypass valve. It took quite a bit of force to make the bypass valve open - didn't measure the force, but it wasn't a weak spring by any means.

The element has quite a few pleats, so is this a hint that this particular MC filter was made by Purolator? How about that bypass valve ... who makes them like that (Purolator)?

Definitely, Purolator. The bypass valve design (great pic) is the the same as AAP Total Grip I cut open. It's uniquely Purolator, same as Classic and Pure One.

A well made Motorcraft, made by Purolator. The only difference I see between the 822 and FL820S(besides size), is the 820S has a silicone ADBV. It's too bad Wally doesn't stock a little wider range of MC filters, the 820 is $3.60 something there. I say it too much but, it is a great bang for the buck!

Thanks for posting the pics, great. Very solid looking filter. Really like Puro/MC oil filters.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back