Mossberg Maverick 88 Cruiser.

I keep a maverick 88 next to my bed. Someday I will pay the state their ransom and get my CCW. I bought a mp shield in 9 mm for that.
I've got a Maverick 88 also! Cheap and runs flawlessly.
It’s an outstanding no frills pump.

It's kind of funny to me that the people who convinced me to buy my first firearm are people on the oil forum and not the gun forums (most of those are complete disasters...) Thank you fellas.

It took 3 stores to find an 88. But with every new day I am just being more and more convinced that home defense weapon is a need, not a want anymore. So I was ready to visit every gun store in the 704 if I had to, but thankfully it only took 3.
Cruiser is the only one that was in stock (last one apparently, display model). Played around with it, and I think despite the convenience of the "short" shotgun with a pistol grip, I'd still prefer a shoulder stock. Do you guys have any recommendations for a tried and true stock, that is hopefully more aesthetically pleasing and more functional than the traditional shoulder stock on the "Security" model of Mossberg Maverick 88 12ga? Thank you in advance.
Also if any accessories or upgrades are a must-have in your opinion, then please post them up.
And finally a question related to this forum - which gun lube?
IMG-20220124-WA0002-01.jpeg

The Mav 88 is a solid affordable entry-level choice, built largely on the same design as the Mossberg 500 variants, which are legendary. Light weight, robust, and can deliver an impressive amount of firepower in a hurry. With the notion that each trigger pull can dump ~nine .30 caliber rounds on a target, it's arguably more effective than a MP5 at 1/20th the cost.

I fully agree that the shoulder stock is a far better choice than any pistol-grip only stock. That is especially true on the Mav/Moss design with the safety switch on top of the receiver. A pistol grip makes that very cumbersome and slow.

Speed stocks, which allow extra shells in the stock, are high quality. I'm also a fan of traditional wood stocks for the weight and durability.

Gun lube? Any quality motor oil designed to go in $10,000 car engines, subjected to higher heat and pressure, will lube/clean your gun just fine.

I've got a field version and bought my buddy a one like you have. They're a good gun for the money. I've shot some 3in buckshot with the pistol grip and itll hurt your hand, but its worth it to say you've done it. haha

I've also added a hogue full stock set to a Mossberg 500 that came with a pistol grip and I like it. I would suggest adding one if you intend to do any serious shooting with it.

@Vladiator
Magpul makes quality stock for the 500, fairly certain it’s compatible with the 88 since it’s a clone. Stocks are must. Recommend a light as well. Doesn’t have to be all tactical. Just something reliable, I like a Streamlight. And that’s about it. Get some quality ammo and test that it functions.

Note: I am a big proponent of training. If you don’t have experience with guns get some professional instruction.

The Mav 88 is a solid affordable entry-level choice, built largely on the same design as the Mossberg 500 variants, which are legendary. Light weight, robust, and can deliver an impressive amount of firepower in a hurry. With the notion that each trigger pull can dump ~nine .30 caliber rounds on a target, it's arguably more effective than a MP5 at 1/20th the cost.

I fully agree that the shoulder stock is a far better choice than any pistol-grip only stock. That is especially true on the Mav/Moss design with the safety switch on top of the receiver. A pistol grip makes that very cumbersome and slow.

Speed stocks, which allow extra shells in the stock, are high quality. I'm also a fan of traditional wood stocks for the weight and durability.

Gun lube? Any quality motor oil designed to go in $10,000 car engines, subjected to higher heat and pressure, will lube/clean your gun just fine.
Yes, yes, and yes to all that, and thank you. Mav 88 does have the safety pin by the trigger though, unlike the 500 on top. Can't see how it would create any issues, but some say it does. I do like wood stocks, but can't find an option for the 88, plenty for the 500 though. If I understand it correctly - not exactly interchangeable without looking goofy or making modifications. Due to the action slide being different on the 88 vs 500/590. The wood stock would probably bolt on, but without the wooden action slide it'd probably look a little off.
I have that gun with the full stock .
Wanna trade for the pistol grip? Jk.
Will that accept 12G "magnum" shells?

Don't try it with the pistol grip.
Will definitely stay away from that, at least for now. Currently only got 12G buckshot 00.
I've got a field version and bought my buddy a one like you have. They're a good gun for the money. I've shot some 3in buckshot with the pistol grip and itll hurt your hand, but its worth it to say you've done it. haha

I've also added a hogue full stock set to a Mossberg 500 that came with a pistol grip and I like it. I would suggest adding one if you intend to do any serious shooting with it.

Hopefully the 2 3/4 Buckshot 00 goes easy on me...
@Vladiator
Magpul makes quality stock for the 500, fairly certain it’s compatible with the 88 since it’s a clone. Stocks are must. Recommend a light as well. Doesn’t have to be all tactical. Just something reliable, I like a Streamlight. And that’s about it. Get some quality ammo and test that it functions.

Note: I am a big proponent of training. If you don’t have experience with guns get some professional instruction.

Already scheduled for some training. Currently don't fully trust myself as far as what I would do in a defensive situation under pressure. So definitely do plan on some extensive training, with "Kaizen" principles in mind. Strong believer in continuous improvement, rather than stopping at "good enough".
@Vladiator
Oh, and I like Shooter’s Choice all weather high tech gun grease. It’s high temp, good for all kinds of weather (as the names suggests) and doesn’t harm plastics.
Thanks for that!

Mossberg makes some good shotguns. I still have my first one that I bought 20 years ago. The 88 is a great option for home defense. I'd definitely replace that stock with a standard one or an adjustable one. I forget what brand but I have an adjustable stock on mine. Recoil is still pretty stout. 00 buckshot is what I have in mine.

I do like wood stocks, but can't find an option for the 88, plenty for the 500 though. If I understand it correctly - not exactly interchangeable without looking goofy or making modifications. Due to the action slide being different on the 88 vs 500/590. The wood stock would probably bolt on, but without the wooden action slide it'd probably look a little off.
Not wood, but you can find the synthetic stocks on eBay. Example.

If you can find a stock with a full pistol grip, they are very comfy and makes pointing the shotgun easy and solid feeling. An elastic shell holder is a good cheap accessory too.

1643096540215.jpeg

I usually got a gallon of MMO on hand. Some people seem to use it for clean & lube, others just use it for cleaning, and find other products for lube. Any downsides to just using MMO?

I usually got a gallon of MMO on hand. Some people seem to use it for clean & lube, others just use it for cleaning, and find other products for lube. Any downsides to just using MMO?
Is MMO a lube? Guns do not require much in an oil to lube them they are simple mechanical devices.

hello vladiator, most respectfully, a 12ga shotgun, with a pistol grip no less, is a sub-optimal, first-time-ever, firearm choice. all firearms need proper training and ongoing practice. unless one is a hunter, target clays sportsman or has easy acess to outdoors shooting locales i suggest no shotgun initially.

a 22lr handgun or rifle is the best introduction to firearms for a newcomer. those of us with gray hair likely first learned to use firearms with a 22lr bolt action rifle in boy scouts, 4h, summer camp, even in a school basement. 22lr is easy on the shoulder and wallet, and builds confidence. 22lr handguns, and rifles too, are allowed at virtually all indoor shooting ranges. any family member can learn on an unitimidating 22lr something. don’t let anyone convince you that a well-aimed 22lr firearm cannot be useful for typical surburban protection needs in trained/confident hands. 22lr ownership allows participation in https://appleseedinfo.org/programs/.

by suggesting a 22lr firearm initially i don’t intend to start the inevitable “caliber war” debate. the 12ga shotgun (with a full stock) is a fine defensive tool, useful against just about any threat in the lower 48 states, but it is not a talisman to ward off evil and isn’t what a typical suburbanite should learn on. utube has plenty of helpful videos on “22lr for protection.” good luck and welcome to responsible firearms ownership, a fundamental right of all peaceable americans.

Oops. It's not a Cruiser anymore. ATI tactical extending stock installed. This pic was taken with just the stock, but afterwards I did install the ATI-provided spacer, so the stock alignment is more in line with the magazine. Just forgot to retake the pic.
After seeing @john_pifer Mossberg 590A1, I kinda found myself looking at heat shields and sights now. So thanks for that inspiration there.
Maverick is ~$280 now as it sits. Have a feeling that figure may go up soon though, just a little... Upgrades are addicting. Just gotta remind myself to keep it budget friendly. OPSOL spacer for shorty shells is waiting on the shorty ammo to arrive in the mail. That alone should increase my magazine capacity from 8 normal (2.75") shells to 11 shorty (1.75") shells. Plus one in the chamber in both sizes. Should be fun :)

20220206_193025_(1)-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, yes, and yes to all that, and thank you. Mav 88 does have the safety pin by the trigger though, unlike the 500 on top. Can't see how it would create any issues, but some say it does. I do like wood stocks, but can't find an option for the 88, plenty for the 500 though. If I understand it correctly - not exactly interchangeable without looking goofy or making modifications. Due to the action slide being different on the 88 vs 500/590. The wood stock would probably bolt on, but without the wooden action slide it'd probably look a little off.
Congrats again. Yes, they are slightly different. I have a bunch of various shotguns, Remy, Mossy, Ithaca, Savage, Sears, Coast, Springfield, Mavericks, CDs, etc. I forgot that the Mav has the trigger guard safety not the tang safety like its parent. Not sure why. I digress.

I kinda found myself looking at heat shields and sights now. So thanks for that inspiration there.
Maverick is ~$280 now as it sits. Have a feeling that figure may go up soon though, just a little... Upgrades are addicting. Just gotta remind myself to keep it budget friendly. OPSOL spacer for shorty shells is waiting on the shorty ammo to arrive in the mail. That alone should increase my magazine capacity from 8 normal (2.75") shells to 11 shorty (1.75") shells. Plus one in the chamber in both sizes.

Some friendly advice. Skip most of the "tacticool" stuff. On this gun, don't waste a penny on a heat shield (useless weight/cost), and don't invest too much into shorty shells until you can prove the run correctly (many shotguns reportedly won't feed them reliably - I have no first hand experience as I never went that route as 5-8 shells and a side saddle for fast reloads works well enough). With this shotgun, you've got ~8+1 loaded, and if you can add 3-4 on a side saddle that's some impressive on board ammo. Weight is also a major consideration. Even the few ounces a heat shield or other add-ons provide will add up fast and make the gun slower to maneuver.

Instead, spend that budget on only proven useful upgrades, and ammo, training, and more guns (and mags for guns that require mags). This is a lesson learned thru decades of ownership.

The two upgrades on this would be: 1) a mounted light and 2) sidesaddle of some sort, for more ammo. Can be on the receiver or buttstock, or a sling that holds a few shells.

Congrats again. Yes, they are slightly different. I have a bunch of various shotguns, Remy, Mossy, Ithaca, Savage, Sears, Coast, Springfield, Mavericks, CDs, etc. I forgot that the Mav has the trigger guard safety not the tang safety like its parent. Not sure why. I digress.

Some friendly advice. Skip most of the "tacticool" stuff. On this gun, don't waste a penny on a heat shield (useless weight/cost), and don't invest too much into shorty shells until you can prove the run correctly (many shotguns reportedly won't feed them reliably - I have no first hand experience as I never went that route as 5-8 shells and a side saddle for fast reloads works well enough). With this shotgun, you've got ~8+1 loaded, and if you can add 3-4 on a side saddle that's some impressive on board ammo. Weight is also a major consideration. Even the few ounces a heat shield or other add-ons provide will add up fast and make the gun slower to maneuver.

Instead, spend that budget on only proven useful upgrades, and ammo, training, and more guns (and mags for guns that require mags). This is a lesson learned thru decades of ownership.

The two upgrades on this would be: 1) a mounted light and 2) sidesaddle of some sort, for more ammo. Can be on the receiver or buttstock, or a sling that holds a few shells.
Lots of good info, appreciate it! Definitely don't want to get carried away. Here are some of my thoughts so far and what I was able to gather from pretty extensive research. Hopefully reality matches the results of my research. But I always "hope for the best, while expecting the worst", so time will show.
- The purpose of OPSOL adapter is to make any Mossberg (all pump versions of 500/590 and Mav 88) cycle the mini shells reliably. Thankfully it is also super easy to install/uninstall. As easy as to load a shell or two. So, easy swap on-the-go between "normal" and "shorty" shells, if needed. Some Youtubers claim to have no issues cycling after hundreds and thousands of rounds.
- The particular heat shield I'm looking at is made from some sort of extremely heat resistant plastic. I'm sure 300-500 rounds back-to-back would warm it up, but still doesn't seem to melt. Also stays snug after installation and doesn't slide from its initial position even after 1000+ rounds, unlike it's metal siblings. Being made from plastic it also barely adds any weight, despite being really thick. Best part is it's under $35 and made in USA.
- More guns is definitely happening, just not as fast as I wish for it to happen.
- Got a dedicated ammo bag, a repurposed men's satchel, smaller than the one used in "The Hangover". Very strong, and spacious enough for at least 250-300 shells. It's always close to the Maverick.
- And about the safety - some claim that it was just one of the ways to cut cost in production and give poor people a chance to own a reliable shotgun at 30%-50% of Mossberg 500/590 price.

Back