More Junk Parts

I have noticed that the plastics on the mainland parts seem to be very soft. When even the local parts houses wont lifetime them, you know something is up.

These days though, there does not seem to be much choice other than inferior at even higher prices. I feel sorry for motorists that need to hire someone to install these questionable parts.

This problem is not new. We lived in Winnipeg from 1993 to 1999 and our Volvo guy there replaced the water pump on our '86 Volvo 740 Turbo three times in that 6 year period. The third one failed shortly after getting back to Edmonton. Talked to our Volvo guy there who said he only used OEM water pumps because the aftermarket ones didn't last. Sure enough, we never had to replace it again.

This problem is not new. We lived in Winnipeg from 1993 to 1999 and our Volvo guy there replaced the water pump on our '86 Volvo 740 Turbo three times in that 6 year period. The third one failed shortly after getting back to Edmonton. Talked to our Volvo guy there who said he only used OEM water pumps because the aftermarket ones didn't last. Sure enough, we never had to replace it again.
Sure it's not new, that's not the point. The point is that now those OEM parts are VERY hard to find and even then may still be outsourced to the mainland. New, old stock, parts are even harder to locate. How long can this continue?

Is there a law on how long they hafta produce parts for their rigs/
Yrs ago I gotta ford cuz IH "went outta business'.
Law there (different) was 7 yrs after closing the doors they could stop w/repacement prts.

Is there a law on how long they hafta produce parts for their rigs/
Yrs ago I gotta ford cuz IH "went outta business'.
Law there (different) was 7 yrs after closing the doors they could stop w/repacement prts.
The law as I understand it (and I am certainly no attorney) is they have to cover whatever warranty time they have, and even during that time they only have to keep parts for warranty, they don't have to sell them to you at all. There might be additional state laws. However most do for much longer because its very lucrative, and the optics would be terrible if they didn't. However I know for example I can no longer buy a new ECU for my 2008 or 2011 Nissan's. Fortunately there are plenty of rebuilders around if they ever go.

The law as I understand it (and I am certainly no attorney) is they have to cover whatever warranty time they have, and even during that time they only have to keep parts for warranty, they don't have to sell them to you at all. There might be additional state laws. However most do for much longer because its very lucrative, and the optics would be terrible if they didn't. However I know for example I can no longer buy a new ECU for my 2008 or 2011 Nissan's. Fortunately there are plenty of rebuilders around if they ever go.
We have some parts for 2018 and 2019MY vehicles that are obsolete. When the vendor goes out of business, the manufacturer has to scramble.

I just got an alternator from Rock, nothing available locally only Cardone and BBB and a few used ones in poor condition so this one is a WAI global new Chicom.
First the pulley is too big, no big deal swap it with the original but then the case is slightly larger and hits the oil pressure switch, no good so I want to return it, friggin Rock charges me for the return shipping.
Ordered bearings, regulator and diodes but they are a week away minimum so a piece of crap used one is on for now, it works. This is getting too much.

And your point is exactly why I do not plan on using aftermarket when, at some point in the future, my currently 23 year old, original and still running well Delco Remy alternator on the LeSabre eventually gets tired. We have several shops in the area that still rebuild alternators and I plan on having my original rebuilt. Then again, I will have to follow my due diligence to make sure that the actual parts they use for the rebuilding have some quality to them. 🙄

And your point is exactly why I do not plan on using aftermarket when, at some point in the future, my currently 23 year old, original and still running well Delco Remy alternator on the LeSabre eventually gets tired. We have several shops in the area that still rebuild alternators and I plan on having my original rebuilt. Then again, I will have to follow my due diligence to make sure that the actual parts they use for the rebuilding have some quality to them. 🙄
'99 LeSabre still on the road in Ontario? Wow!

When the alternator on my LeSabre recently went bad, I put a reman from O'Reilly's on it so I could get to work. But I ate the core charge and kept the original. I'll have it rebuilt locally, because we all know that reman will fail sooner than later.

Thank you SC. Post #45 is helpful. National 'law', 'policy', whatever it's called is all I seek.
I don't think it'd B different in each state as car manaf/sales is interstate comerce (fed regs).

"...ate the core charge and kept the original...."
smart, even Delco-Rem doesn't make them the way they used to (so B advised as posted, assure the rebuild parts are good ones). AND that is my main problem. Example: Loved Elchin, Denso, AC-Delco, etc for ele parts. Now, not what they were - who to go to? I cant experiment on customer's cars every few months as the junk comes out, it switched companies, back again. I dont see any consistancy (PPP might B an exception but I don't paint cars unless necessary). My BiL was a buyer for Cole Hersee (after mrkt supplier) brought in every thing they used in the manaf. process. He said their (been retired awhile) part could run 20 - 50$ and B the exact same product (tollerances, materials, internals, externally; all over).

For as long as I can remember, my shop has used starters and alternators sourced from a (rare) local rebuilder. Always top quality, and they stood behind their product.

The pandemic changed all that. Said rebuilder slowly lost the ability to buy quality parts, causing the quality of his rebuilds to slip. Do I place fault on them? Absolutely not. If the only voltage regulator for a CS130 is a Chinese part, what is he to do? That being said, I've been forced to use alternate vendors due to their rebuilds becoming unreliable.

Personally: I've moved (almost exclusively) to using Denso parts from WorldPac. Denso has a MASSIVE operation based in Long Beach, which produces not only reman starters and alternators but NEW A/C compressors as well. Not only is the cost lower than my local guy, the units I've installed have been absolutely stunning from a failure perspective.

When the alternator on my LeSabre recently went bad, I put a reman from O'Reilly's on it so I could get to work. But I ate the core charge and kept the original. I'll have it rebuilt locally, because we all know that reman will fail sooner than later.
Sad, but true.

I just got an alternator from Rock, nothing available locally only Cardone and BBB and a few used ones in poor condition so this one is a WAI global new Chicom.
First the pulley is too big, no big deal swap it with the original but then the case is slightly larger and hits the oil pressure switch, no good so I want to return it, friggin Rock charges me for the return shipping.
Ordered bearings, regulator and diodes but they are a week away minimum so a piece of crap used one is on for now, it works. This is getting too much.
I guess RA customer service isn't what it used to be. How can they chare you for return shipping when they send you the wrong alternator?

"...Denso parts from WorldPac..."
1st is Japanese only; 2nd is across the world market?

I don't get it. Denso is a massive global manufacturer of auto parts, and WorldPac is a very well known auto parts distributor that specializes in Asian and European brands.

Back