More Junk Parts

The point of this thread is aftermarket parts are mostly junk and OEM is your best bet.

Are there any cases where an aftermarket less expensive part is better than the OEM part it replaces? Not functional but better.
Gates upper radiator hose on my Volvo fixed the bad design of the original part.

There are a few cases where aftermarket is good. Lemforder suspension parts for example. Good parts, half the OE (Mercedes) price. GKN axles. There are a few…but only a few… and they are not easy to find…
That said, Lemfoerder does manufacture parts as MB OE. Often you get them with the star ground off. That’s different than, say, when moog problem solver parts were designed with enhanced engineering based upon known failure modes for specific parts/manufacturers.

Had a shop replace power steering hoses on my previous 13 silverado. They used Napa. Stupid things leaked at seal to the rack. Get new OEM seals. Things still leak. WTMF…Got new OEM hoses, the ends were just a little bit smaller and fit into the fittings/seals better and didn’t leak a drop. Makes you sick. Of course NAPA would do nothing for me $$ wise.

There is no definatative answer. My OEM belt tensioner was replaced twice under warranty. The third one was on me so I bought gates. Its there still - 300K miles on. My Bilstein shocks are way better than OEM ever were. As are my EHT brake pads.

On the flip side I replaced a blower motor with a VDO and it was squealing in 6 months. OEM lasted over a decade.

Pays your money and you takes your pick.

Back