More diesels than EV sold in Europe in January 2024

From numbers collected by ACEA it appears that 13.4% of cars sold in January were diesels, versus 10.9% EV. For the whole of 2023 the EV share amounted to 14.6%. Diesels sales dropped from 15.8% to 13.4% 7over the course of 2023. Plug in sales also dropped to 28.8% while gas powered is the best seller @ 35.2%.

One reason for the drop in EV sales is that subsidising has been dropped in some countries. Diesel is by far the cheapest per mile if you run any decent amount. It would make sense for me aswell, but they are getting systematically banned from all major cities (low-emission zones) which forces me into a gas powered car. EV an Hybrid only make sense if you can deduct the costs from you taxes. Gas and diesel car costs can not be deducted, or only limited.

How is hybrid more expensive then diesel, in USA at least the option for hybrid is relatively inexpensive add on (see Toyota) while diesel imho overpriced.

In USA at least the option for hybrid is relatively inexpensive add on (see Toyota) while diesel imho overpriced.
There not as cheap as the MSRP numbers show. Dealers are more likely to ADM, and before the pandemic there was less discount.

Even back in 2019 When I bought our Rav4 discount off list was $5500 on any ICE model I wanted. Hybrid was MSRP, no discount or maybe $500 depending on dealer. Even then in CA people were paying well above list if the Toyota boards were to be believed.

Perhaps that changes over time but not my experience thus far.

Bought our 2019 RAV4 Limited Hybrid in 2019. About $1500 off list. Have bought a few cars from this dealer, and sent him some business as well. Haven't needed a car since "c", the landscape has probably changed. Looking at getting a Tacoma or Canyon in the next year or so.

Yes! I have thought this for some time. Imagine what a Prius could do with a little ~100 hp diesel.
Probably the same or worse. Hybrid can recoup some of the energy scrubbed off in braking, not all, not perfectly, but can also only run the engine under high load conditions, charging the battery and keeping engine efficiency high.

Loved my TDi! got 46mpg lifetime. Wifes hybrid does that, after I removed some problematic cladding and non oem tires. Am guessing a diesel will have the longevity, but most buyers don’t care about owning for 10 years let alone 300k.

There is no good reason that the US should not have this mild diesel hybrid.

Is the extra cost worth the small gain?

copy & paste from the article:
An enhanced stop-start system allows the engine to remain off for longer periods which, coupled with the benefits of the hybrid 48V system, improves fuel efficiency by up to 5% compared to the conventional non-electrified diesel powertrain.

Perfect reason lack of sales. Look at numbers across all diesel offerings historically even midsize pickups like Chevy/GMC and Jeep.

Is the extra cost worth the small gain?

copy & paste from the article:
An enhanced stop-start system allows the engine to remain off for longer periods which, coupled with the benefits of the hybrid 48V system, improves fuel efficiency by up to 5% compared to the conventional non-electrified diesel powertrain.
It is not an expensive or complex system, 5% is 5%, ev owners pay a lot of money for a just little more range.

I got around $2600.00 off sticker on the HAH on 9/28/18.
Seems impossibly cheap by current standards and I was in the favorable position of not really needing a car at that point in time.
I do agree that hybrids remain a valid choice in that they reduce fuel consumption greatly while having none of the compromises of a pure EV.

Perfect reason lack of sales. Look at numbers across all diesel offerings historically even midsize pickups like Chevy/GMC and Jeep.
Look at the reasons why sales are lower. Diesel that cost more than gasoline even though it is much cheaper to produce the taxes are higher on diesel than gasoline, the EPA and Carb for a start. It is a shame more Americans have not experienced modern diesels they really are nice to drive and easy to keep.
My brother has a 2013 BMW X5 35d 6cyl turbo diesel he bought it new and it has 150K on it, he has spend $450 in actual repairs plus regular maintenance of oil and fluid changes and filters, the only repairs were glow plugs with the module and a serpentine belt.
It gets 30+ MPG which is great for a 5,000lb all wheel drive vehicle.

Look at the reasons why sales are lower. Diesel that cost more than gasoline even though it is much cheaper to produce the taxes are higher on diesel than gasoline, the EPA and Carb for a start. It is a shame more Americans have not experienced modern diesels they really are nice to drive and easy to keep.
My brother has a 2013 BMW X5 35d 6cyl turbo diesel he bought it new and it has 150K on it, he has spend $450 in actual repairs plus regular maintenance of oil and fluid changes and filters, the only repairs were glow plugs with the module and a serpentine belt.
It gets 30+ MPG which is great for a 5,000lb all wheel drive vehicle.
Diesel has been offered at least since early 1980s in certain mainstream vehicles when same price as gasoline. None of the variants sold well domestic , Asian or Europeans makers in great volume.

It’s a dead market.

Back