Ontario's Green Energy Boondoggle - Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Dan55
So whats your cost per KWH including delivery charges?

It varies per person depending on how much of your usage falls within the three rate categories as well as how rural you are. I think the last time I averaged mine I was around $0.128/kWh for electricity without delivery. My delivery charge is usually in the mid to high $30's a month, so if I used 750kWh and had a $38 delivery charge, I'm paying $0.051/kWh in delivery, making my overall rate $0.179/kWh.

However, my buddy who lives in the country, let's say he averages $0.135/kWh for electricity and uses 650kWh. His delivery charge is $96.00, which is $0.148/kWh. That means his overall rate ends up being $0.283/kWh. Someone even more rural will pay more.

Make sense?

My inlaws living in the Caribbean pay about 56c/kWh delivered. All GT/diesel based generation from centralized plants. Renewables have been nothing but a win for them locally, for reducing overall grid power requirements, need to expand/upgrade sources, etc.

Of course, GT power is more readily dispatched and spooled up than coal or nuke.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Dan55
So whats your cost per KWH including delivery charges?

It varies per person depending on how much of your usage falls within the three rate categories as well as how rural you are. I think the last time I averaged mine I was around $0.128/kWh for electricity without delivery. My delivery charge is usually in the mid to high $30's a month, so if I used 750kWh and had a $38 delivery charge, I'm paying $0.051/kWh in delivery, making my overall rate $0.179/kWh.

However, my buddy who lives in the country, let's say he averages $0.135/kWh for electricity and uses 650kWh. His delivery charge is $96.00, which is $0.148/kWh. That means his overall rate ends up being $0.283/kWh. Someone even more rural will pay more.

Make sense?

My inlaws living in the Caribbean pay about 56c/kWh delivered. All GT/diesel based generation from centralized plants. Renewables have been nothing but a win for them locally, for reducing overall grid power requirements, need to expand/upgrade sources, etc.

Of course, GT power is more readily dispatched and spooled up than coal or nuke.

I would guess running air conditioning down there would be expensive! Wow! Mind you, heating in the winter would be a non-issue. I assume they are wealthy? Because using sleddriver's summer air conditioned usage at 1,300kWh a month, that yields a $728 electricity bill
crazy2.gif

I wonder what the financial penalties would amount to for renegotiating the contracts, if any. That they haven't done so already may indicate that the cost will be a hard swallow. Then again, this gov admitting they made policy errors is a bridge too far just the same.

As for the coal plant closings, its not like we can totally eliminate carbon dioxide emissions especially in our climate type. That should be a much longer road to ensure we don't force energy poverty on residents and drive industry away before they can modernize and pay for those negative externalities they never had to pay for until now. Yet old fashioned pollution is an excellent target and we have plenty of cleaner burning natural gas. I have lived in Asia and seen first hand the effects of severe air poisoning. Whereas here we have any number of illnesses and premature deaths associated with long term exposure to lower levels. The next election should be a gong show of [censored] promises and vote buying!

Just got our bill for Feb 4 - Mar 4, for 28 days.
Heat with nat gas, 4,000 sq ft home in a very cold part of the country.
Electric clothes dryer, stove and oven. LED bulbs wherever possible.
Used 775 kWh and it was adjusted up to 817.5 with a 1.054 adjustment factor (wtbeep is that?)
Total charge was $131.65.
Peak rate is 0.18 cents per kWh 13.5% use
Mid rate is 0.132 cents per kWh 14.0% use
Low rate is 0.087 cents per kWh 72.5% use

...FWIW...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHerriot
I wonder what the financial penalties would amount to for renegotiating the contracts, if any. That they haven't done so already may indicate that the cost will be a hard swallow. Then again, this gov admitting they made policy errors is a bridge too far just the same.

As for the coal plant closings, its not like we can totally eliminate carbon dioxide emissions especially in our climate type. That should be a much longer road to ensure we don't force energy poverty on residents and drive industry away before they can modernize and pay for those negative externalities they never had to pay for until now. Yet old fashioned pollution is an excellent target and we have plenty of cleaner burning natural gas. I have lived in Asia and seen first hand the effects of severe air poisoning. Whereas here we have any number of illnesses and premature deaths associated with long term exposure to lower levels. The next election should be a gong show of [censored] promises and vote buying!

This is worth the read on the whole contracts thing (he's a law professor at Queens):
http://business.financialpost.com/fp-com...hould-do-it-now

Regarding the whole coal business, had the Darlington expansion gone forward instead of this whole boondoggle the ticket price would have been $12 billion (plus whatever overruns amounted to), which would be reflected in a very small rate increase for that additional 2,400MW of capacity being added to that facility. Any difference could have either been purchased from Quebec or covered with some hydro electric expansion/upgrades. This would have required next to no investment in new transmission infrastructure, would have almost entirely eliminated carbon emissions via power generation and would have resulted in only a small overall increase in cost to ratepayers. It also would have avoided this whole privatization and subsidy circus. Any argument against expanding the nuke facility is negated by the fact that we've already committed to refurbishment for both Bruce and Darlington, so we are at least 50 more years with those two plants anyways. Ergo, in that context, this would have been the path of least expense for eliminating both coal and CO2 emissions from our generating stream.

An alternative version of the above would involve AFCR's fitted in place of the two shuttered units at Pickering, with an eventual overhaul of the facility with total reactor replacement leveraging that technology. The long term shutdown and decommissioning plan for that facility carries with it massive costs that are no longer offset by generation output. That makes the idea of replacing the reactors with something newer and far better a more logical plan than shuttering it and dealing with the legacy of the site.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Used 775 kWh and it was adjusted up to 817.5 with a 1.054 adjustment factor (wtbeep is that?)

...FWIW...
What was your "delivery" charge?

...FWIW...

What was your delivery charge, are you with HydroONE?

My gas bill just went down, and I'm heating a 108 year old house with no exterior insulation (double brick), lol! My gas bill is almost half my electricity bill.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hi OVERKILL,

So much does your bill run each month approximately if you don't mind me asking?

I would bet less than the family cell phone bill.

Cell phone plan (with my wife on it) is $180/month, and I get half of that back through work, so actually no.

Once you back out your water and sewer? Anyway, the point you don't seem to want to concede is that value is still there. Most people pay as much or more for a phone/internet package and don't whine about that. An unregulated industry. But I trust Verizon to do the right thing. Is it because that's where your bread is buttered? I know you don't like me much because I'm so direct about these things but they need to be said. Somehow people feel the very important texting activity is as important as living a modern civilized life that power allows.

Utility costs are catching up with the rest of the economy. You had 20 - 40 year old plants at a tenth of the capital costs churning away producing very cost effective power. Now that modernization is creeping in, we have cost increases. You're not going to see any more cheap nuclear going in either. Or any traditional sources. You'd be seeing cost increases without any green sources.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Do you have one of those old brick houses by the Lift-lock ??

Down that way.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hi OVERKILL,

So much does your bill run each month approximately if you don't mind me asking?

I would bet less than the family cell phone bill.

Cell phone plan (with my wife on it) is $180/month, and I get half of that back through work, so actually no.

Once you back out your water and sewer? Anyway, the point you don't seem to want to concede is that value is still there. Most people pay as much or more for a phone/internet package and don't whine about that. An unregulated industry. But I trust Verizon to do the right thing. Is it because that's where your bread is buttered? I know you don't like me much because I'm so direct about these things but they need to be said. Somehow people feel the very important texting activity is as important as living a modern civilized life that power allows.

Utility costs are catching up with the rest of the economy. You had 20 - 40 year old plants at a tenth of the capital costs churning away producing very cost effective power. Now that modernization is creeping in, we have cost increases. You're not going to see any more cheap nuclear going in either. Or any traditional sources. You'd be seeing cost increases without any green sources.

As I said early on, the biggest impact is on rural ratepayers, not those living in urban centres, as they don't get boned on the delivery charge like rural folks do. I demonstrated that showing the difference between my urban bill, which includes water and sewer, and my buddy, who lives out of town, who gets neither of those things, but has a comparable bill. Obviously, I'm getting a lot more value for my $200 than he is.

Coal never made up the majority of our generating mix in the last 30 or so years, it has primarily been stapled by the nukes as far back as I can remember. One is planned on being shuttered (Pickering) the other two are going to be refurbished. Those costs are wrapped into the per kWh rate we pay OPG and Bruce Power. These facilities when coupled with Hydro Electric make up 85% of our power generation mix, yet account for just over 50% of our generating costs, as outlined in the opener.

You are right in the sense that I doubt we'll see major investment in thermals at this point besides natural gas. But I don't agree with your assessment that costs would have increased, which I assume to imply more than they have presently, which has been several fold above and beyond what they were before the GEA. There were a variety of ways that this could have been done less expensively, and paying wind turbines $0.14/kWh, solar $0.48/kWh and biofuel $0.131/kWh was definitely not the cheapest way to get there. The coal plants could have been converted to natural gas for example, heck, one of them was. We've continued to invest in hydro-electric, and we are exporting north of 20TWh a year now at a loss because of all the excess generation. That adds up. We were not in a situation where massive amounts of new generation was needed, particularly not on the timeline dictated by the party in charge.

Quebec has massively cheaper electricity than Ontario does because they invested in vast amounts of hydro-electric. Ontario lacks the water resources that Quebec has, which is primarily why we have so much nuclear capacity. It was deemed more cost effective back in the 70's than coal, and so that's what was built. The myopic fantasy to replace that capacity with wind and solar was thankfully short lived, otherwise we'd be in an even worse boat than we are presently (see Denmark and Germany's rates).

I don't expect costs to remain static. They need to increase, within reason, in order to deal with inflation, cover new builds/refurbishment, grid maintenance...etc. However, not only were rates driven up more than two fold, but delivery, to cover the connection costs, went up right along with it. My natural gas bill has remained reasonable this entire time. My internet cost has actually gone DOWN, as has my cell phone. How much would a 100Mbit connection have cost you even 5 years ago? Yet electricity has not gotten "better"; I'm not getting improved electricity for this increase in cost, which means that like gas, its price should remain reasonable, allowing for inflation. My hydro costs have quite literally doubled since 2007, and compared to a rural customer, my bill is still quite reasonable.

This is versus the rest of the country. You can see Quebec has managed to get it right:

8.1 cents per kWh, while more than what we were paying in 2010, would be welcome right now in this province.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

...FWIW...

This is the bill, line by line. I am serviced by a city run hydro supply system.

On Peak 18.99
Mid Peak 14.42
Off Peak 48.79
Delivery 37.39
Regulatory 5.79
DRC 0.00
SubT 125.38
HST 16.30
Provincial Rebate -10.03
Total 131.65
Comment on bottom of bill: DRC exemption saved me $5.43.

I blame the Ontario voters for the mess the hydro system has become.
A few examples, Spending $1.2 Billion to cancel 2 gas plants, and the hydro line to nowhere through six nations reserve.
Signing up FIT power at 80 cents per kWh for 20 years.
Zero [censored] given for major health concerns due to windmill placement close to existing homes.
Zero [censored] given for wildlife death due to windmills.

Gee.. I wonder what would happen, doesn't take much internet research to get the truth.

Again voters, I look at you.....and yes, I am [censored]

Last edited by a moderator:

Again voters, I look at you.....and yes, I am pi$$ed.

Not to get political, but if the other guys atleast pretended they had some half reasonable ideas, they would get some more votes...
Anyways, the current party has really messed things up, so if the conservatives can not go Trump on us and actually have some workable plans, they have a good shot of inheriting this mess again!

My gas bill just went down, and I'm heating a 108 year old house with no exterior insulation (double brick), lol! My gas bill is almost half my electricity bill.

That was going to be my next question, about the gas/propane bill. So any other monthly/quarterly charges from the city, for garbage pickup, etc...

It does seem like it varies quite a bit. Hopefully there's no corruption involving that delivery fee. And the restaurant hydro bill going up like that seems crazy.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

...FWIW...

This is the bill, line by line. I am serviced by a city run hydro supply system.

On Peak 18.99
Mid Peak 14.42
Off Peak 48.79
Delivery 37.39
Regulatory 5.79
DRC 0.00
SubT 125.38
HST 16.30
Provincial Rebate -10.03
Total 131.65
Comment on bottom of bill: DRC exemption saved me $5.43.

I blame the Ontario voters for the mess the hydro system has become.
A few examples, Spending $1.2 Billion to cancel 2 gas plants, and the hydro line to nowhere through six nations reserve.
Signing up FIT power at 80 cents per kWh for 20 years.
Zero f_cks given for major health concerns due to windmill placement close to existing homes.
Zero f_cks given for wildlife death due to windmills.

Gee.. I wonder what would happen, doesn't take much internet research to get the truth.

Again voters, I look at you.....and yes, I am pi$$ed.

You lucked out that you aren't serviced by Hydro ONE at least
wink.gif

Our latest bill for 680kwh @ 10.3c/kwh(our smart meter can't get a signal so its a flat rate)
$70.04 for power
$62.68 for delivery(rural/remote) down $20 from the fall.
$5.38 regulation fees
$6.80 tax
for $144.98 or 21.3c/kwh

That's with a gas hot water tank, kitchen stove, but an electric dryer run maybe 15 times a month and a 250w water trough heater which can run alot if its cold.

The problem with comparing the electricity bill to a cell phone bill is that I have no choice in choosing my electricity provider, where I have a slew of cell phone providers to choose from. The only thing I can do about my electric bill is maximize the Off Peak usage and conserve.

And I am outraged at the skyrocketing cellphone plans, that is why I have one that costs me a whopping $35 a month. I don't have the same "vote with your wallet" privilege with my electricity providers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Our latest bill for 680kwh @ 10.3c/kwh(our smart meter can't get a signal so its a flat rate)
$70.04 for power
$5.38 regulation fees
$6.80 tax
for $144.98 or 21.3c/kwh

That's with a gas hot water tank, kitchen stove, but an electric dryer run maybe 15 times a month and a 250w water trough heater which can run alot if its cold.

That flat rate is definitely helping you out. 680kWh usage is also pretty low, which is good. I know Buckhorn area gets nailed bad on delivery, looks like you are better than Warsaw surprisingly.

$70.04 for power
$5.38 regulation fees
$6.80 tax
for $144.98 or 21.3c/kwh

That flat rate is definitely helping you out. 680kWh usage is also pretty low, which is good. I know Buckhorn area gets nailed bad on delivery, looks like you are better than Warsaw surprisingly.

I thought for all Hydro1 areas atleast delivery charges were set only to 3 levels? Urban, small community, and rural?
I'd think warsaw would be a the middle density for delivery and cheaper than us?
I agree the whole thing is a mess though even though I think subsidizing and introducing renewables is a good idea, the level of mismanagement and waste is appalling... We just try to use as little power as possible, and perhaps get ready to go off grid if things get silly expensive when Hydro1 needs to make its investors rich...

$70.04 for power
$5.38 regulation fees
$6.80 tax
for $144.98 or 21.3c/kwh

I thought for all Hydro1 areas atleast delivery charges were set only to 3 levels? Urban, small community, and rural?
I'd think warsaw would be a the middle density for delivery and cheaper than us?
I agree the whole thing is a mess though even though I think subsidizing and introducing renewables is a good idea, the level of mismanagement and waste is appalling... We just try to use as little power as possible, and perhaps get ready to go off grid if things get silly expensive when Hydro1 needs to make its investors rich...

Well, Jon uses less hydro than you (he's around 600) and his delivery has been around 90. He's in Warsaw, so I'm going to assume there is more to the tiering than just the area classification.

Have you not seen the bills where there was zero usage and a 100 dollar delivery charge?

hydro-one-bill.jpg

That's what folks who are further out are up against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back