Modern body work

My daughters 2013 Acura ILX was damaged by a delivery truck. We used a decent sized body repair shop and find the way they organize cars interesting likely for efficiency and also documenting their work and emailing updates.

Is this the new norm?
Photo 40.jpeg

Attachments

• Photo 64.jpeg
    Photo 64.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 82
Normal, especially for the larger production shops.
Looks like they'll be painting most of the left side. Silver can be a tough color to match.
I know on silver , at dusk you easily pick out mismatches.

Daughter is happy bumper is getting replaced(additional work) as it was pretty messy when we bought it with scratches / cracks.

Looks like an easy fix. Some body shops follow up with pictures in my area however most of them do not. It's time consuming however it is nice to see the progress.

Looks like they shop will replace the door and transfer all of the guts and the door card from the old door to the "new" door.

Looks like my wife’s shoulder when she labrum surgery. It’s an easy way to document what is going to happen. Better than losing a piece of paper.

Just my $0.02

There's no such thing as body work that can't be seen, right? It's always been why I've avoided it. Just recently saw a brand new Benz S580 along side of me, and I could see all the paintwork. Again, it's not the color, it's the texture. Doesn't match the factory in any way, shape, or form. See this day in, day out, when cars are clean, and it's sunny outside. Again, my uncle who has worked in the field says this is because while these cars, which sure at mid 100k's are beautiful cars, they are not the 200k+ restorations I watched on TV. Time is money. There's a backlog at all times, and the longer they take on any car in the shop, means they can't make money on what's waiting. He even went as far as to say it's good enough since most cars are leased.

There's no such thing as body work that can't be seen, right? It's always been why I've avoided it. Just recently saw a brand new Benz S580 along side of me, and I could see all the paintwork. Again, it's not the color, it's the texture. Doesn't match the factory in any way, shape, or form. See this day in, day out, when cars are clean, and it's sunny outside.
It is true. With the right set of eyes and/or a paint depth gauge, it can always be detected.

Most likely you saw transport damage that was repaired.

It is true. With the right set of eyes and/or a paint depth gauge, it can always be detected.

Most likely you saw transport damage that was repaired.
What I mean is I see really, really nice cars driving on bright sunny days, and their cars are clean as a whistle. My reflection should be like a mirror. It gets blurry/distorted where the paintwork has been done.....

But to you point I used to work near the airport, where there were a fair amount of body shops, and would see cars with window stickers being repaired.

What would a person with a 911 do, if that's the only 911 they can afford and will ever be able to get, if someone dents it? I know I'm being overly dramatic but for me, it's ruined.

What I mean is I see really, really nice cars driving on bright sunny days, and their cars are clean as a whistle. My reflection should be like a mirror. It gets blurry/distorted where the paintwork has been done.....
To an extent, texture can be leveled. But if it is to that extreme, it is example of poor refinishing.

To an extent, texture can be leveled. But if it is to that extreme, it is example of poor refinishing.
Thing is I see it all the time, which is why I believe it's normal....example, why wouldn't a brand new S580 deserve to be refinished to 100%? Again, my uncle says it's not a 200k restoration, it's a nice car, but a normal new car, and insurance is paying.

Thing is I see it all the time, which is why I believe it's normal....example, why wouldn't a brand new S580 deserve to be refinished to 100%? Again, my uncle says it's not a 200k restoration, it's a nice car, but a normal new car, and insurance is paying.
Because the “average tech” is on flat rate and and the average buyer won’t notice the difference (and doesn’t care)?

Back