Question about body work

Probably going to keep it until the engine or trans doesn't blow. Honestly, probably one of the worst cars we've owened. Timing chain tensioner looks like it's been on its way out since 40k miles or so. Transmission jerks when you break. Trans fluid was changed at 45k miles. Cars only got 80k miles. Drives worse then the 98 camry my dad used to drive. My dad brought the car for my older sister brand new back in 2013. Majority of the damage is from here driving it for 3 years. I'd gave her pay for the door and stuff. Rust was after
Then why on earth spend money on it? Especially money with an uncertain return on value.

Then why on earth spend money on it? Especially money with an uncertain return on value.

I agree with the above.
If the car is a pig, why are you concerned with lipstick?
If that car were mine and I was even entertaining keeping it, I would be focusing on the rust.
I have an older accord than that, and there is no rust on the rockers.
If you dig into that, you will probably find that you are into several thousand to fix that right.
You should also look into what it would take to make it mechanically right as well and factor that in.
The other body stuff? No big deal. Bumpers could use an appointment with some touch up paint. The door is a PDR repair, or as a worst case scenario, I would pick up a good used one at a boneyard and have it sprayed to match.
Crunch the numbers and see what is feasible.
My guess is that you would be better served unloading it. That rust is downright gnarly and disqualifying, IMO.

I agree with the above.
If the car is a pig, why are you concerned with lipstick?
If that car were mine and I was even entertaining keeping it, I would be focusing on the rust.
I have an older accord than that, and there is no rust on the rockers.
If you dig into that, you will probably find that you are into several thousand to fix that right.
You should also look into what it would take to make it mechanically right as well and factor that in.
The other body stuff? No big deal. Bumpers could use an appointment with some touch up paint. The door is a PDR repair, or as a worst case scenario, I would pick up a good used one at a boneyard and have it sprayed to match.
Crunch the numbers and see what is feasible.
My guess is that you would be better served unloading it. That rust is downright gnarly and disqualifying, IMO.
I dont even know how it started. Car was rust-free last year. Noticed that rust this year.

That to me is the most concerning item on the car. Tell Dad that he needs to do a explorative dive into it before he considers doing anything to it.
I'm gonna have the car put on a lift at work Monday during lunch. I'll take a look at everything then.

In my experience when you get that much rust that quick, it has been festering for awhile.
The only way that I would consider keeping the car is if it was fixed properly with new metal, and followed up with Krown treatments regularly.
Short of that, if your Dad insists on putting the $1100. in it to make it look nice, he needs to UNLOAD IT QUICKLY.

In my experience when you get that much rust that quick, it has been festering for awhile.
The only way that I would consider keeping the car is if it was fixed properly with new metal, and followed up with Krown treatments regularly.
Short of that, if your Dad insists on putting the $1100. in it to make it look nice, he needs to UNLOAD IT QUICKLY.
That's what I would do. Either get the rust fixed the right way, or pay the guy $1,100 to temporarily fix that stuff and sell the car. He kept the 98 Camry he drove for 21 years (brought it brand new when I was born). Sold it back in 2019 because water kept getting inside the driver's side footwell. Sold it for I think $2200. Had 185k miles on it. JUST started to rust around the wheel wells.

Like said, I'd leave the bumper covers and door alone.

That's too bad about the rocker panel. I've seen a few ~2012-13 Accords with that type of corrosion going on.

The 10yr point in the rust belt is when the ugliness is going to present itself unless you were very proactive the whole life of the vehicle. I'm sure there's other rusty/crusty areas underneath as well.

If anything, I'd try to slow that rocker degradation down with something...

You could find a shop willing to repair that the right way in my area. It would cost you probably ~$2K+ just for the rocker and paint blend, but there wouldn't be a warranty with it because of the way our winters are. Then what about any other areas ready to rear it's ugly head..

Last edited:
Like said, I'd leave the bumper covers and door alone.

That's too bad about the rocker panel. I've seen a few ~2012-13 Accords with that type of corrosion going on.

The 10yr point in the rust belt is when the ugliness is going to present itself unless you were very proactive the whole life of the vehicle. I'm sure there's other rusty/crusty areas underneath as well.

If anything, I'd try to slow that rocker degradation down with something...

You could find a shop willing to repair that the right way in my area. It would cost you probably ~$2K+ just for the rocker and paint blend, but there wouldn't be a warranty with it because of the way our winters are. Then what about any other areas ready to rear it's ugly head..
I used to drive that Accord after my sister went off to the city for her master's. Babied that thing. Waxed twice a year and washed once or twice a week during winter. Then I brought my first car in 2019, Accord went to dad, and yeah you know how that went.

Reactions: JTK
I used to drive that Accord after my sister went off to the city for her master's. Babied that thing. Waxed twice a year and washed once or twice a week during winter. Then I brought my first car in 2019, Accord went to dad, and yeah you know how that went.
I hear you. That will keep the paint looking nice. Some type of spray rust proofing, checked and re-done as needed may have helped the under side of it.

I hear you. That will keep the paint looking nice. Some type of spray rust proofing, checked and re-done as needed may have helped the under side of it.
I wouldn't even bother with the two bumpers. I'd do the dent and rust. Call it a day

Sorry if I missed it, but have you gotten any trade in offers? In today's market, even as-is i wouldn't be surprised at offers of double that.
No, but I can look at trade-in values at my job. I doubt pops is gonna wanna trade it in.

No, but I can look at trade-in values at my job. I doubt pops is gonna wanna trade it in.
It's not an ideal time given the current market, but it could be a good time to get out of this particular Honda. I'd rather do it this way than try to cover it up and sell it.

Back