Question about body work

So, we're thinking about getting body work done on my dad's 2013 Honda Accord. Got a quote from a body shop for $1,100. He said he's going to touch up the front bumper, Bondo the rear passenger side door, and paint both the rear passenger side door and drivers side door to blend the paint, paint the rear bumper and for the rust, sand the rust down, use Anti-rust spray and paint the "side-skirts". I am not 100% convinced about using Bondo to fill the dent up. Won't the Bondo crack over time? Also, I don't know how I feel about having the rust sanded down and painted over with anit-rust. Won't the rust just come back after a few years? Posting some pictures below.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Touch up the front bumper yourself.

No, do not just slather on a ton of bondo on the door, pull the dent and then a minimal amount of filler if any. Otherwise, it may just come off in a clump, but I am assuming you intend to keep it long term, not just hide things to sell it.

I have no idea how painting the driver's side door does anything to blend the paint. Did you leave something out?

Paint the rear bumper, your picture is not detailed enough to determine, whether it just needs touchup or a paint job but it also depends on how picky you are.

You cannot sand that rust down. The rocker panel is shot and will need new metal welded on for a long term repair. Anti-rust spray is just a waste of time at this point, unless you are just trying to hide it to sell it ASAP.

At the same time you are asking "won't the rust just come back after a few years", well of course it will even in the best case of an attempt to restore to like new with an aftermarket job, because even the factory metal/paint, rusted in a few years. The back of the panels will need rustproofed, or it won't last as long either.

It is decision time. $1100 is not that much, but it depends on the quality of the work, how much time that buys you, and how much time you need, how long you intend to keep it if it were restored to a more or less, low blemish condition. I would chance it if you figure you'll sell it in a couple years but if you intend to own it to the grave, then there's the other aspect of vanity, that touchup or DIY can work for the paint spots but the rust would need a new panel welded on.

You did not mention the mileage on the vehicle, nor can we see the undercarriage to assess total vehicle fitness to plan long term. If the unibody frame/structure on it is rusting as well, then I would spend the minimum possible on it to put in a sellable state and get rid of it. If it is only the rust you pictured, which would be unusual but I suppose is possible, then it is worth paying someone to weld on new metal. In particular look at the engine subframe mounts and the strut tower mounts, those two are significant problematic areas that bondo can't fix even for a little while.

Even after repair, the rust repair will only be temporary. You might get a year before the rust shows after being repaired.Nothing wrong with using body filler for the dent. Only other alternative is to replace the door. The rust is the biggest issue here. I would skip the bumper repairs and see what an updated estimate would be. If you are going to keep the car atleast another year, it might be worth repairing to keep it looking decent for a while.

I would bet to repair that rust will turn into a big job to do it right and yes it can be done right so it last for years. I am guessing at least a foot in front of the visible rust, 4 inches minimum above it and god knows how much of the inner wheel well is gone.
You can tell it is bad because it has rusted under the chip guard. Forget the door that is a simple PDR job and the paint is a touch up. The way they have proposed doing it is like polishing the deck chairs on the Titanic.

If you let the rust go it turns into massive failure. My old 2007 07 Acura MDX went from what you see to holes in body in about 3 years and was not exactly repairable. Thankfully insane car market allowed me to dump it for a premium.

Touch up the front bumper yourself.

No, do not just slather on a ton of bondo on the door, pull the dent and then a minimal amount of filler if any. Otherwise, it may just come off in a clump, but I am assuming you intend to keep it long term, not just hide things to sell it.

I have no idea how painting the driver's side door does anything to blend the paint. Did you leave something out?

Paint the rear bumper, your picture is not detailed enough to determine, whether it just needs touchup or a paint job but it also depends on how picky you are.

You cannot sand that rust down. The rocker panel is shot and will need new metal welded on for a long term repair. Anti-rust spray is just a waste of time at this point, unless you are just trying to hide it to sell it ASAP.

At the same time you are asking "won't the rust just come back after a few years", well of course it will even in the best case of an attempt to restore to like new with an aftermarket job, because even the factory metal/paint, rusted in a few years. The back of the panels will need rustproofed, or it won't last as long either.

It is decision time. $1100 is not that much, but it depends on the quality of the work, how much time that buys you, and how much time you need, how long you intend to keep it if it were restored to a more or less, low blemish condition. I would chance it if you figure you'll sell it in a couple years but if you intend to own it to the grave, then there's the other aspect of vanity, that touchup or DIY can work for the paint spots but the rust would need a new panel welded on.

You did not mention the mileage on the vehicle, nor can we see the undercarriage to assess total vehicle fitness to plan long term. If the unibody frame/structure on it is rusting as well, then I would spend the minimum possible on it to put in a sellable state and get rid of it. If it is only the rust you pictured, which would be unusual but I suppose is possible, then it is worth paying someone to weld on new metal. In particular look at the engine subframe mounts and the strut tower mounts, those two are significant problematic areas that bondo can't fix even for a little while.
Cars a 2013 with 80k miles. Dad's the original owner. Older sister f*ucked it up when she had it. Go figures huh. I'll either have to take the car to work and have them put it on a lift to see if the frames rotting or jack it up. As of right now, I've got no jack. I meant the body shop Said they'll bondo the left side rear passenger side door and paint the left side passenger side door to blend both doors.

Last edited:
I would bet to repair that rust will turn into a big job to do it right and yes it can be done right so it last for years. I am guessing at least a foot in front of the visible rust, 4 inches minimum above it and god knows how much of the inner wheel well is gone.
You can tell it is bad because it has rusted under the chip guard. Forget the door that is a simple PDR job and the paint is a touch up. The way they have proposed doing it is like polishing the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Cheap does not mean it's the best job. I got another quote from a body shop close to work. They quoted 3500~. Cars probably worth like max $10k with ghat rust. They would pull the dent out in the door, repaint front and rear bumper and Weld new metal for thr rust. No bondo bs

Even after repair, the rust repair will only be temporary. You might get a year before the rust shows after being repaired.Nothing wrong with using body filler for the dent. Only other alternative is to replace the door. The rust is the biggest issue here. I would skip the bumper repairs and see what an updated estimate would be. If you are going to keep the car atleast another year, it might be worth repairing to keep it looking decent for a while.
Probably going to keep it until the engine or trans doesn't blow. Honestly, probably one of the worst cars we've owened. Timing chain tensioner looks like it's been on its way out since 40k miles or so. Transmission jerks when you break. Trans fluid was changed at 45k miles. Cars only got 80k miles. Drives worse then the 98 camry my dad used to drive. My dad brought the car for my older sister brand new back in 2013. Majority of the damage is from here driving it for 3 years. I'd gave her pay for the door and stuff. Rust was after

As an example, replacing rockers on a F150 is about $2500 for both sides.
With new metal, comes as a kit.
$1100 might get you out 12 months before the rust starts poking through again.
That quarter panel is done, perforated. Rust is like an iceberg, you only see 1/10 of what is there.

Back