Body shop using bedliner under the rocker panel after fixing rust?

Not sure if anyone remembers. But, my dads 2013 Honda Accord started rusting from the rocker panels on each side. We found a body shop that is going to cut out the rusted rocker panel and weld new metal. He said after he welds new metal and paints both the rocker panels, he is going to apply bed liner to the rocker. It'll help with preventing rust. He also stated that no one will be able to see the bed-liner. Does anyone have experience with spraying bed-liner on rocker panels?

I have attached a picture of the rust. If he's going to apply bed-liner way at the body where the rust currently sits, I'm okay with that because you will not notice it. But if he's putting it up higher, I don't want that because it'll be noticeable.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 99
It probably would be beneficial. However, I might ask why not use a product such as this:

Like I said at the time, my concern would be what is going to be done to address the rust issue as a whole? I'd recommend following up with Krown treatments, especially if he is going to keep the vehicle. I'd almost bet that if he Krowned that car, he'd know how much rust was in there, as would be evidenced by the rust streaks he would have on his driveway. Such a treatment is about the only way to keep rust in check on that car, given how gnarly those rockers looked.

In the late 70s and 80s we used a product called Gravel Guard as an additive to the paint when we had to do body repairs to those areas. I think it was made by Dupont. It left the finish with rubberized texture pebble finish using the standard OEM body color paint. I would check with another body shop and see what they use instead today. Last but not least, after he cuts away the rusted metal, have him check the cowl drains forward of the rockers to make sure they are clear of debris. Also if you Dad's car has a sunroof make sure the routing of the drains for it goes past the cowl / firewall top edge.

I just called the body shop. He said he's not going to do the bedliner. He said if we don't like the way it looks, it can't remove the bedliner

At one time, it was somewhat common to have a similar coating applied in different areas on cars, usually around the wheel wells but down low, then painted over with the same color as the car. It's primary purpose, I believe, was for things like rock chips.
Exactly, this was the target purpose use of the Dupont Gravel Guard product that I mentioned previously.

Seen it done before on older pickups that were having rust in the bed sides repaired. Seems to work well. I would prefer a rubberized undercoating myself that's made to do that job but bedliner would probably hold up fine. It will definitely protect it from rocks and stuff.

Seen it done before on older pickups that were having rust in the bed sides repaired. Seems to work well. I would prefer a rubberized undercoating myself that's made to do that job but bedliner would probably hold up fine. It will definitely protect it from rocks and stuff.
So, go ahead and have the body shop so it or?

So, go ahead and have the body shop so it or?
If it was mine I'd probably let him do it. It he stops at the body line above the panel seam it might be slightly visible but I think the average person won't notice or know the difference. Lots of vehicles have black trim in that area and look good in my opinion.

Looks to me like Honda already did that when the car was built. They put it on the outside, then painted the stuff the same as the body color.
If you get the repairs done, I'd rater see this stuff sprayed on the INSIDE of those rockers, since putting on the outside didn't work.
At any rate, if he does put it outside, a rattle can of matching body color paint should make it look much less noticeable.

There are also better rust preventatives to spray inside the rockers.

Looks to me like Honda already did that when the car was built. They put it on the outside, then painted the stuff the same as the body color.
If you get the repairs done, I'd rater see this stuff sprayed on the INSIDE of those rockers, since putting on the outside didn't work.
At any rate, if he does put it outside, a rattle can of matching body color paint should make it look much less noticeable.

There are also better rust preventatives to spray inside the rockers.
Yes, you can see the rough textured surface in the photo. I remember that on my 1990s Integras. It looked like undercoating or something that was painted over.

I would make sure the insides of the rockers get a heavy dosing of some sort of cavity wax.

Exactly. Cutting and welding new panels is going to leave more fresh untreated metal on the inside that is prone to rust. I’d use cavity wax or get it sprayed annually like others said if he plans on keeping it.

Well, here is an update on how everything went. Ended up getting the bed liner sprayed. He also used some cavity wax on the inside. Looks pretty good. But, I noticed a line along the passenger side quarter panel on the inside. I can somewhat peel that line back with my nail. Is this normal? There's no line on the driver's side quarter panel.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg