Model 3 Uber in winter.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Just got back from Chicago during a cold snap -7. Rode in both Model 3's and Pri'i repeatedly over the course of 4 days.

They both ride equally poorly with 2 200lb guys in the back.

The AWD unsurprisingly bests either models 2 wd. We could feel the slippage.

The Teslas glass roof is real downside in these conditions. At least the single pane gen 1's roof. Maybe the highland will be better.

As a passenger you really notice the Teslas glass roof when its -7.
It seems it's single pane and really stays cold, I found myself with a cold head. No doubt this contributes to heater load.

The tesla driver agreed the cold cost them range but they both said as long as the battery stays warm its no too bad. Their claim was "about" 30% penalty- 5% worse than recurrents tested range but they weren't all heat pump cars and the term " about" was used.

Sorry for the crappy pict.

IMG_5166.jpeg

Last edited:
I have never understood the glass roof thing. I don't like sunroofs and I don't like the idea of a glass roof. A proper solid roof wins in every way for me personally. As an option fine but as the only option, meh. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker it's just disappointing.

I'm probably getting a Bolt this week then saving up for Sierra EV in a few years. Hope the Sierra EV has a normal roof.

I have never understood the glass roof thing. I don't like sunroofs and I don't like the idea of a glass roof. A proper solid roof wins in every way for me personally. As an option fine but as the only option, meh. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker it's just disappointing.

I'm probably getting a Bolt this week then saving up for Sierra EV in a few years. Hope the Sierra EV has a normal roof.

I like an old fashioned 2X 3 tilt/open sunroof I can completely close with one hand and no motor on the shade.

The whole glass roof does'nt work for me because heat.

It's hot longer than cold where Im at and the sun absolutely annihilates everything.
If I had a car with a full glass roof it'd be covered most of the time.

Yeah they need a Grandpa/ Livery edition Tesla with steel wheels, a small 5-inch screen for the legally required backup camera, and "normal" roof. You'll see Tesla taxis with instructions near the oddball door handles so unfamiliar riders can figure them out.

I like an old fashioned 2X 3 tilt/open sunroof I can completely close with one hand and no motor on the shade.

The whole glass roof does'nt work for me because heat.

It's hot longer than cold where Im at and the sun absolutely annihilates everything.
If I had a car with a full glass roof it'd be covered most of the time.

Do you think it's cheaper to make a car with a glass roof or a regular roof? Because I would assume a regular roof is cheaper. And for a company that's all about being cost efficient I don't get why the regular roof wouldn't be standard with glass roof as a $1000 option or something! The people that want it could buy it, otherwise most people would probably pick a regular roof!

I do not understand why the roof on every EV is not a solar panel.

My Mach E is the Select model because I did NOT want that glass roof.

I think Fisker has a solar roof option? I do think it's a neat idea for certain places (such as here in California where climate is generally good for EV and it's sunny most of the time) but I think for most places/people it isn't worth the cost and complexity and that's why it's so rare. Again, would be nice to have as an option.

I think you did the right thing buying a car without glass roof. I would have made the same choice.

Yeah they need a Grandpa/ Livery edition Tesla with steel wheels, a small 5-inch screen for the legally required backup camera, and "normal" roof. You'll see Tesla taxis with instructions near the oddball door handles so unfamiliar riders can figure them out.

I dont like the push handles. If i owned that car that would be on my list of don't likes.

They are slippery though and contribute to high speed economy.

Do you think it's cheaper to make a car with a glass roof or a regular roof? Because I would assume a regular roof is cheaper. And for a company that's all about being cost efficient I don't get why the regular roof wouldn't be standard with glass roof as a $1000 option or something! The people that want it could buy it, otherwise most people would probably pick a regular roof!

Single piece roof has got to be cheaper. Economy of scale and automation makes it cheap for them.

I dont like the push handles. If i owned that car that would be on my list of don't likes.

They are slippery though and contribute to high speed economy.

Single piece roof has got to be cheaper. Economy of scale and automation makes it cheap for them.

Yeah, and all the chassis bracing to make sure it doesn't crack the first time you angle the car up a drive...

Reports are that the glass roof simplifies assembly and costs less overall. Granted it sucks when a rock breaks it that would otherwise just dent a metal roof.

Reactions: Ws6

SageGlass electrochromic glass would make more sense for glass roofs or large sunroofs, but not for an EV, since it takes an electrical potential to turn transparent glass opaque.

I think the Lexus version of the bz4x has this, right?
Not sure… it may? Only real reason I know about SageGlass is because their longtime CEO was once in our business, and was very charismatic. When he went to SageGlass, I read some about the business and was intrigued. Not sure if car mfrs would disclose where they’re getting their materials from. 🤷‍♀️

Not sure… it may? Only real reason I know about SageGlass is because their longtime CEO was once in our business, and was very charismatic. When he went to SageGlass, I read some about the business and was intrigued. Not sure if car mfrs would disclose where they’re getting their materials from. 🤷‍♀️

I'm pretty sure that any auto glass sold in the US has to meet requirements that include identifying the manufacturer. Every piece of window glass I've seen on a car identifies the manufacturer.

S6.2 A prime glazing manufacturer certifies its glazing by adding to the marks required by section 7 of ANSI/SAE Z26.1–1996, in letters and numerals of the same size, the symbol “DOT” and a manufacturer's code mark that NHTSA assigns to the manufacturer. NHTSA will assign a code mark to a manufacturer after the manufacturer submits a written request to the Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, SW., Washington, DC 20590. The request must include the company name, address, and a statement from the manufacturer certifying its status as a prime glazing manufacturer as defined in S4.​

Depends on the Tesla model.

The Model S was used by one of our transportation companies in SFO. Absolutely miserable in the back. You can’t fix the roofline and lack of headroom. Entry/egress was a challenge for me, at a bit over six feet. Couple that with a hard ride, that often put my head into that low roof and I hated it. Absolutely hated that model S.

Give me a Mercedes SUV (one of the other options) Or a Suburban.

Back