Mobil1 Synthetic vs Mystik JT8 Semi Synthetic, run cooler? My test r

Originally Posted by rossn2
I had one of those $150 Harley gauges and it burned out about 14 months after purchase...:(

I'm curious what year you bought yours. As I have heard they were issues with the early versions.
I think I got mine late 2015 and has been trouble free. Heck I haven't even had to change the battery yet.

Alarmguy, just a thought. When the bike died in the extreme bumper to bumper beach traffic, was the EITMS activated? I have noticed that when active, it performs flawlessly 98% of the time. However, if you turn the throttle at a certain time ( I don't know where that is in the crank rotation when running on one cylinder), the engine will stumble and sometimes stall. I've noticed this several times in hot ( city) weather, especially if you give it a good twist. Just FYI.

Originally Posted by Jimiii
Alarmguy, just a thought. When the bike died in the extreme bumper to bumper beach traffic, was the EITMS activated? I have noticed that when active, it performs flawlessly 98% of the time. However, if you turn the throttle at a certain time ( I don't know where that is in the crank rotation when running on one cylinder), the engine will stumble and sometimes stall. I've noticed this several times in hot ( city) weather, especially if you give it a good twist. Just FYI.

Good point, yes, it was activated. 99.9% of my riding I leave it off, only in extreme circumstances (like that day) do I turn it on. I never had my bike stall though until that day. But it was a stall and the engine was starting to stumble for sure, meaning it was getting hot, so hot I also felt like my car brake was starting to bind *L*
Im sure your correct though, if it was an overheat sensor shutting off the engine it would have not have started up right away. The engine was starting to run sloppy regardless.
Anyway, that is when I decided to take the bike lane and then welcomed by some friendly blue lights 2 miles later ... :eek:)

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by rossn2
I had one of those $150 Harley gauges and it burned out about 14 months after purchase...:(

I'm curious what year you bought yours. As I have heard they were issues with the early versions.
I think I got mine late 2015 and has been trouble free. Heck I haven't even had to change the battery yet.

I had one in my 2009 FLHT for approx 6 years. Only replaced the battery once. I had one odd thing with it. Here in WI, I'd change out the oil in November for storage and pull out the digital dipstick and install the stock one. Stock stick showed oil level just above the mid line. Come spring, when I installed the digital gauge, it showed oil at full mark. Oil level readings were different between the two...

I'm sure you know this but when you checked the oil on the digital one did you have the bike on the side stand?

The digital also has the regular stick to check the level on as well, I'm wondering if yours matched up?

Mine did but don't think/know if I checked it against the stock one which I will now. Important to note the attraction was the temperature For me but do like the fact if I ever lose some oil I will see it on the temp display.
I don't add oil In between changes but will sometimes top it off to the very top on a long week long trip into the Smoky Mountains, "just because" like I would top off air my tires and shocks.

Anyway good to know, I'll check someday if I find the OEM in my messy garage

Last edited:
Ok, Ill look for my old one and see if I can compare. But the digital one matches up perfectly with the dipstick on it.

As far as the jiffy stand, that is the only way to check the oil level or it will always be higher if not on the stand. The reason I asked is some might be tempted to look at the digital meter while sitting on the bike upright. If so, the level will read to high, just like it does on the dipstick.

More or less, some might look at the digital read out while sitting on the bike upright which would give a false high reading.

They couldn't make that same mistake if using the manual dipstick because its almost impossible to read the manual one while sitting on the bike upright.

Last edited:
Oh OK. It's been years since I've use the OEM dipstick. I know I have it around my garage someplace and at some point I'll see if I can find it

Originally Posted by Jimiii

One last note, my personal opinion is that Hiflo filters are of poor quality. I use Wix 57148. They aren't listed as an EP, but are constructed the same. The synthetic media is attached to a wire backing, and are reverse engineered to the exact specs of the HD product. Not just a filter that will fit, like most other aftermarket products.

I have been using the same filter for a few years with no issues. But I have use all kinds of filters with no issues, so take it for what it's worth.

Well, Im kind of impressed that the WIX57148 is made specifically for Harley, Bypass pressure of 8Lbs which is good. At the same time, maybe that is true of the HiFlo too.

But the thing is, I guess between the HD OEM and WIX, it doesnt make any difference, they are both the same price, so might as well go with the OEM, very easy for me to buy locally or either one online

Last edited:
I bought a dozen of the WIX a few years ago thru Rock Auto at around $8/apiece. At the time it was cheaper than the HD filter which was about $11 if I recall. Don't know what the WIX or HD is going for now.
I also ran a Fram Ultra XG3614 in the 1988 Harley with no issues. It was about $8 on Amazon. But it has a higher bypass setting. Even the Amsoil has a higher bypass setting which makes me hesitant to use
those filters again. But I never had a problem with any filter and I've run many different ones over the years.

Wow!
How can that be?
I just checked Rock Auto, your right, $7 everyone else is 5+ more and HD OEM is up to $13 at the dealer.
Nice, thanks for the post.

Jim and I assume the Wix is for the touring bikes, on the run right now but believe that is true.
I don't know what bikes you guys are riding
WIX57148 I assume will be correct fir the 14 Rushmore bikes, easy fir me to check, just can't right now

Last edited:
The 57148 is the 5 micron filter. Not for the evo's. They do make one for the evo's, I think those use a 30 micron filter due there extremely low oil pressure. Wix is a solid filter with what many believe "the best bypass design " in the industry. With the heavy (20-50) oil, it is likely the filter goes into bypass on startup. The wix design eliminates the bypass oil from washing over the outside of the filter, carrying the crap it has filtered out into the engine. So I have been told by a high end mechanic ( auto), who I trust.

Yeah, Im sure I will order them and give them a try. Honestly, the only issue, when I say "give it a try" is hopefully it is easy to get on and off on the 103 HO engine..
There is an engine sensor, possibly a crank position sensor, I never bothered to look up what it was. Anyway, if the oil filter isnt just the right size it makes it rougher to get on and off using the HD oil Filter wrench which is made for this purpose, so with the HiFlo I have to buy an adjustable wrench as the Hilo is a little bit longer and the sensor gets in the way of the wrench...

AS far as being a good filter I am sure it is, states they make it specific for Harley engines, which is much better then a car oil filter on a bike. Add to that, the 5 micron rating, which HD says is important. So all is good and thanks to you and blue glide for the input.

Actually, before any more time goes buy going to order some now, even though I already have a spare HiFlo.

Last edited:
One note. Wix are a unique size. They are slightly smaller in diameter so they are actually easier to install and remove, but you need to buy a new "cap" if you use them. Gets metal one ($2-3) as the nylon ones don't fit between filter and sensor, nylon too thick.

Back