Mobil1 SHC/Delvac in high performance applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd contact Mobil directly.

www.mobil1.com

They have both a help desk and an e-mail response team.

My understanding is that the SHC trademark is being phased out of the automotive market, where Mobil 1 and Delvac are much better known. The SHC trademark was more common in Europe.

I researched on Mobil 1 SHC gear oil before for my WRX. It is the correct Mobil synthetic to be used in the gear box because it has no LSD additives, and thus gives better synchro action compared to the Mobil 1 over-the-counter gear oil.

However, it onyl comes in drums and so I did not give it a try. A Subaru race shop in the East coast use it regularly though.

So to answer your question, I don't think SHC gear oil will have any problem in high performance applications (in Subarus/Porsche).

I've been doing some reading on the web trying to make sense of what's what among Mobil1 gear oils.

Data points:

1) Porsche factory fill (possibly) in newer models and what they use in racing gearboxes (definitely) is Mobil1 SHC.

2) Porsche and Subaru owners have reported problems when using regular, non-SHC Mobil1 synthetic gear oil. Very easy to beat the syncros when driving hard.

3) Mobil has recently renamed/replaced SHC with their Delvac brand. Not sure if it's exactly the same stuff.

Here are the product data sheets:

Here is the data sheet for the Delvac:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lu..._Delvac_Synthetic_Gear_Oil_75W-90_80W-140.asp

And the discontinued SHC:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSE2CVLMOMobilube_SHC_75W-90_80W-140.asp

And here is the data sheet for the regular Mobil1:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Synthetic_Gear_Lubricant_LS_75W-90.asp

Any more info on this?

quote:

A Subaru race shop in the East coast use it regularly though.

That was RalliSpec . I'm not sure if they carry it anymore or do diff fluid service since they focus more on building rally cars these days.

Might be worth it to call them or find out from Mobil if the Delvac is the same as SHC.

Jon, have you ever tried Gear 300?

-Dennis

I'm wondering if the friction modifiers, that are in the SF gear oils, would not be ideal for Subaru's. A lot of Sube owners that run M1 gear lube with friction modifiers get grinding.

I think there are some Subaru SF users on here though.

-Dennis

Maybe George, our Mobil sponsor, could shed some light on the Mobil SHC oils and whether or not they are optimized for synchronizers in MT's.

I'll let the Sube owners give you their feedback/impressions of our MTL-R.

I use SF MTL-R in my WRX transmission. I've used stock (obviously) and Swepco 201 before. SF MTL-R is much better on the first few shifts from 1st->2nd early in the morning when the transmission is cold. The difference is not as huge when hot/warmed up as I believe Swepco is a very good product as well.

I highly recommend fellow Subaru owners to try SF MTL-R if they don't like how their transmission is shifting, before going wild on fluid experimentation. As SF MTL-R fully meets Subaru's recommendation (GL-5 75w-90) and there are many positive reviews on this product.

On a side-note, I think thinner oils give better shifting for our transmissions. As I have noticed many people getting good results when mixing with GM Synchromesh fluids, which is an extremely thin trans lube. If I were to keep experimenting, I would try SF MTL-P (75w-85). As Subaru also "ok" 85 weight gear oil in the owner's manual.

Are you referring to Mobiltrans SHC 50? (a Delvac product)
confused.gif

This should be a GL-4/MT-1

The SHC was discontinued and leads to this product.

The old Mobiltrans SHC 50 was available in 5 gallon buckets @ $110 (in around 2000).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back