Mobil1 Dexron III vs Dexron III H spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased some Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF a little bit back and still have it unused in the bottle. That said, I now notice that there is a new Dexron III H specification out. Is the Dexron III-H better than my exisiting, but older Mobil1 synthetic Dexron III?

The Dexron III(H) spec is for a longer lasting 100,000 mile fill. It is beefed up to achieve this. You would have to compare specs as your synthetic may still be better as the Penrite III(H) ATF I bought is dino.

This is just an educated guess but I think that the old Mobil 1 ATF you have is probably much better than a typical off the shelf Dexron III (H) or Mercon V transmission fluid. I have a 2001 Mazda 626 2.0L automatic and I noticed that the Mobil 1 ATF that I now use is far superior to the Mercon V fluid that I was previously using. Mobil 1 ATF wasn't yet certified to meet the Mercon V specification when I bought it.

The Mazda 626 2.0L automatic is known to be very hard on ATF. Many people have installed transmission fluid coolers (usually at there own expense) in an effort to avoid the all too common transmission failures caused by burnt transmission fluid. Mazda now has a tsb out for the 2001 Mazda 626 2.0L automatic where they state that they will replace the fluid with new Mercon fluid and install an ATF cooler if the owner complains about very harsh shifting or an overheating transmission (or something to that effect). I was unaware of the tsb at the time I noticed very rough shifting and had the transmission fluid flushed and the old Mercon fluid replace with Mercon V fluid. Wow, what an improvement but it only lasted about 3,000 miles!
mad.gif
Then while doing an oil change I noticed that there was a drain plug for the transmission fluid so I drained and refilled with Mobil 1 ATF three times after driving around the block each time and ever since then the problem has been completely solved. No more rough shifts.

[ February 20, 2005, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:
Then while doing an oil change I noticed that there was a drain plug for the transmission fluid so I drained and refilled with Mobil 1 ATF three times after driving around the block each time and ever since then the problem has been completely solved. No more rough shifts.

Many people who have the CD4E transmission and do their own oil changes are draining and refilling the transmission fluid at every oil change as well. If you use regular ATF, the additional cost is only $4 or $5 (using buck-a-quart ATF), and the ATF can be drained and disposed of with the engine oil (no need to keep them separate).

The Ford Escape which has the CD4E comes with an additional cooler from the factory.

quote:

Originally posted by jmlangeveld:
How good is the dino Dexron III H? Is it better than the Mobil1 ATF?

There really isn't such a product as dino Dexron III (H). The spec generally can only be met by a high-ratio synthetic blend, 'synthetic' meaning at least Group III hydrocrack fluids or other high VI GTL fluids.

I suspect that the performance differences between M1 ATF and even cheap Dex III (H) ATF are quite minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back