mobil1 and assumed safe oci

Hi all, I'm using Mobil1 and will probably stay with it considering I just spent $27.88 for a oil/filter change at Walmart. Apparently they use bottled oil and the choice is yours for whatever kind. I watched them shortly and they seemed professional as oil change people come.(I feel guilty but reg. mechanic charges $60 for this). Anyway I have a 95 Civic (202,000 miles). I have used 4-5k oci in the past on dino. Is 6 months/7.5k oci pretty safe with Mobil 1 (normal conditions/dino/in Civic manual). I know people go longer and some shorter but it seems they do an oil analysis. Driving conditions are rarely city just mostly rural highways/roads. thanks for insight. ps. it seems based on posts people are dumping Mobil 1 but at $27.88 how can you go wrong.

Mobil 1 is great if you want to go longer than the 3k miles. However Wal-mart uses Fram filters, which I wouldn't trust for 3k miles, much less an extended OCI. Change out the filter and top off the extra .5 quart of oil. Next time ask for a Supertech filter. It shouldn't cost you any more and you'll get a much better oil filter. -T

harper

quote:
Originally posted by T-Keith: Mobil 1 is great if you want to go longer than the 3k miles. However Wal-mart uses Fram filters, which I wouldn't trust for 3k miles, much less an extended OCI. Change out the filter and top off the extra .5 quart of oil. Next time ask for a Supertech filter. It shouldn't cost you any more and you'll get a much better oil filter. -T
Thanks for the tip. They actually used a SuperTech as they were out of the Fram they typically use, they stated. thanks again.

How can someone get $60US for an oil change in North America (besides German/Italian car dealers). Was the $60 for Mobil 1? or regular oil? I only charge $41.55CDN for Amsoil and regular oil is $27.95. If you don't want Walmart I would look around for other mechanics.

harper

quote:
Originally posted by hk33ka1: How can someone get $60US for an oil change in North America (besides German/Italian car dealers). Was the $60 for Mobil 1? or regular oil? I only charge $41.55CDN for Amsoil and regular oil is $27.95. If you don't want Walmart I would look around for other mechanics.
$60 for Mobil 1 oil change. $30.00 for Mobil Drive clean oil change at my independant mechanic.

[Cool] I change at 5k, but the UOA on my wife's car was still very good with M1 oil/M1 filter. Same with my mom's Cadillac at 6k but then it burned 2.5 quarts that I added getting to the 6k. With a good filter I'm sure M1 would be fine for 7500.

Based on what you stated, your fine at 7,500 OCI on M1. I drive all rural and highway as well and aim for 7,500 OCI's on M1 in all vehicles, In reality I usually go higher. DEWFPO

quote:
Originally posted by palmerwmd: A relative in Germany rotuinely pays over $100 for a M1 0w-30 oil change for his MB at the MB dealer.
[Cool] Heck, my dad pays that here for his BMW. And that's if it doesn't need anything else. [Roll Eyes]

I don't think that Mobil is making more money from a shop charging more. The differences in price are directly related to shop costs and profits. Wal-mart pays it's workers nothing, they have tons of business and their market up very small. A repair shop pays it's workers more, doesn't have as much business, and doesn't have other ways of making money. The Dealer pays it's workers very well, has a high markup, and doesn't do nearly as many oil changes. Mobils not getting the extra money, the machanics and business owners are. -T

--quoted-- How can someone get $60US for an oil change in North America (besides German/Italian car dealers). Was the $60 for Mobil 1? or regular oil? I only charge $41.55CDN for Amsoil and regular oil is $27.95. If you don't want Walmart I would look around for other mechanics. --end quoted-- ProCare auto repair shops (a franchise present in Ohio if not elsewhere) charges $65 for an oil change. When I queried the service writer about this price, he noted that "We give the car a very thorough inspection. A lot of quicky-lube places won't do that." I left, and noted to myself that if I wanted a preventive-maintenance inspection for my car, I'd just take the car in and ask for one.

quote:
Originally posted by hk33ka1: How can someone get $60US for an oil change in North America (besides German/Italian car dealers). Was the $60 for Mobil 1? or regular oil? I only charge $41.55CDN for Amsoil and regular oil is $27.95. If you don't want Walmart I would look around for other mechanics.
The world is full of people who's only criteria is "you get what you pay for" and it's also full of people who make a very good living off of them.

quote:
Originally posted by TomJones76: ProCare auto repair shops (a franchise present in Ohio if not elsewhere) charges $65 for an oil change. When I queried the service writer about this price, he noted that "We give the car a very thorough inspection. A lot of quicky-lube places won't do that."
Translation: "You pay us handsomely to look very hard for extra work to charge you for."

quote:
Originally posted by hk33ka1: How can someone get $60US for an oil change in North America (besides German/Italian car dealers). Was the $60 for Mobil 1? or regular oil?
Well, I don't know... break it down. About $30 for oil.. About $30 for labor. That's about a half -hour labor, with hoist time and oil disposal. I feel fine about doing it myself, but it doesn't sound unreasonable. That's why the Quick lube places are SELL, SELL, SELL at $24.95.

quote:
How can they get $60? Easy. Because there are people that will pay that much! [Duh!]

quote:
I feel fine about doing it myself, but it doesn't sound unreasonable.
I agree. I doubt anyone here would try and make a decent living JUST doing $65 Mobil 1 oil changes. Given the investment in the high cost real estate ..equipment ..benefits ..workers comp ..utilities ..maintenance ...inventory ... That $65 oil change represents $25-30 in direct material costs. The direct labor (keeping in mind that YOU are trying to make a living on doing this one task) is probably $12-15 (typically labor costs anywhere from 150-200% of hourly wages).. Would any of you build such a place to make a POTENTIAL (assuming that that one bay is full 100% of the time and no more than 1/2hr per car) $320 a day minus your indirect expences???? (mortgage, electricity, taxes, waste disposal, etc.)??? Would it be worth the investment? [ March 09, 2004, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

hi..... You can consider your selves lucky, here in Greece MOBIL 1 15W/50 costs 65€ (4L) plus 15€ for the mechanic = 80€ TOTAL!!! I own a Fiat Punto GT and I drain oil every 10k KM's