mobil1 and assumed safe oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm using Mobil1 and will probably stay with it considering I just spent $27.88 for a oil/filter change at Walmart. Apparently they use bottled oil and the choice is yours for whatever kind. I watched them shortly and they seemed professional as oil change people come.(I feel guilty but reg. mechanic charges $60 for this).

Anyway I have a 95 Civic (202,000 miles). I have used 4-5k oci in the past on dino. Is 6 months/7.5k oci pretty safe with Mobil 1 (normal conditions/dino/in Civic manual). I know people go longer and some shorter but it seems they do an oil analysis. Driving conditions are rarely city just mostly rural highways/roads.

thanks for insight.

ps. it seems based on posts people are dumping Mobil 1 but at $27.88 how can you go wrong.

Mobil 1 is great if you want to go longer than the 3k miles. However Wal-mart uses Fram filters, which I wouldn't trust for 3k miles, much less an extended OCI. Change out the filter and top off the extra .5 quart of oil. Next time ask for a Supertech filter. It shouldn't cost you any more and you'll get a much better oil filter.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Mobil 1 is great if you want to go longer than the 3k miles. However Wal-mart uses Fram filters, which I wouldn't trust for 3k miles, much less an extended OCI. Change out the filter and top off the extra .5 quart of oil. Next time ask for a Supertech filter. It shouldn't cost you any more and you'll get a much better oil filter.

-T

Thanks for the tip. They actually used a SuperTech as they were out of the Fram they typically use, they stated. thanks again.

Good news for you.

grin.gif

-T

How can someone get $60US for an oil change in North America (besides German/Italian car dealers). Was the $60 for Mobil 1? or regular oil? I only charge $41.55CDN for Amsoil and regular oil is $27.95. If you don't want Walmart I would look around for other mechanics.

quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:
How can someone get $60US for an oil change in North America (besides German/Italian car dealers). Was the $60 for Mobil 1? or regular oil? I only charge $41.55CDN for Amsoil and regular oil is $27.95. If you don't want Walmart I would look around for other mechanics.

$60 for Mobil 1 oil change. $30.00 for Mobil Drive clean oil change at my independant mechanic.

cool.gif
I change at 5k, but the UOA on my wife's car was still very good with M1 oil/M1 filter. Same with my mom's Cadillac at 6k but then it burned 2.5 quarts that I added getting to the 6k. With a good filter I'm sure M1 would be fine for 7500.

Based on what you stated, your fine at 7,500 OCI on M1. I drive all rural and highway as well and aim for 7,500 OCI's on M1 in all vehicles, In reality I usually go higher.

DEWFPO

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
A relative in Germany rotuinely pays over $100 for a M1 0w-30 oil change for his MB at the MB dealer.

cool.gif
Heck, my dad pays that here for his BMW. And that's if it doesn't need anything else.
rolleyes.gif

... and not too long ago someone posted that the Amsoil guys were getting rich... sounds to me like Mobil is pocketing some real cash...

Cheers, Doug

I don't think that Mobil is making more money from a shop charging more. The differences in price are directly related to shop costs and profits. Wal-mart pays it's workers nothing, they have tons of business and their market up very small. A repair shop pays it's workers more, doesn't have as much business, and doesn't have other ways of making money. The Dealer pays it's workers very well, has a high markup, and doesn't do nearly as many oil changes. Mobils not getting the extra money, the machanics and business owners are.

-T

--quoted--
--end quoted--

ProCare auto repair shops (a franchise present in Ohio if not elsewhere) charges $65 for an oil change. When I queried the service writer about this price, he noted that "We give the car a very thorough inspection. A lot of quicky-lube places won't do that."
I left, and noted to myself that if I wanted a preventive-maintenance inspection for my car, I'd just take the car in and ask for one.

quote:

The world is full of people who's only criteria is "you get what you pay for" and it's also full of people who make a very good living off of them.

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:

ProCare auto repair shops (a franchise present in Ohio if not elsewhere) charges $65 for an oil change. When I queried the service writer about this price, he noted that "We give the car a very thorough inspection. A lot of quicky-lube places won't do that."

Translation: "You pay us handsomely to look very hard for extra work to charge you for."

quote:

How can someone get $60US for an oil change in North America (besides German/Italian car dealers). Was the $60 for Mobil 1? or regular oil?

Well, I don't know... break it down.

About $30 for oil.. About $30 for labor. That's about a half -hour labor, with hoist time and oil disposal.
I feel fine about doing it myself, but it doesn't sound unreasonable. That's why the Quick lube places are SELL, SELL, SELL at $24.95.

quote:

How can they get $60? Easy. Because there are people that will pay that much!
pat.gif

quote:

I feel fine about doing it myself, but it doesn't sound unreasonable.

I agree. I doubt anyone here would try and make a decent living JUST doing $65 Mobil 1 oil changes. Given the investment in the high cost real estate ..equipment ..benefits ..workers comp ..utilities ..maintenance ...inventory ...

That $65 oil change represents $25-30 in direct material costs. The direct labor (keeping in mind that YOU are trying to make a living on doing this one task) is probably $12-15 (typically labor costs anywhere from 150-200% of hourly wages)..

Would any of you build such a place to make a POTENTIAL (assuming that that one bay is full 100% of the time and no more than 1/2hr per car) $320 a day minus your indirect expences???? (mortgage, electricity, taxes, waste disposal, etc.)???

Would it be worth the investment?

[ March 09, 2004, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

hi.....
You can consider your selves lucky, here in Greece MOBIL 1 15W/50 costs 65€ (4L) plus 15€ for the mechanic = 80€ TOTAL!!!
I own a Fiat Punto GT and I drain oil every 10k KM's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back