Mobil Super 5K 5W30 '09 Subie Legacy 2.5i 10655 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran the oil longer still again, and this report seems ok as well. Amazing things these newer engines and oils. I think I'll cap it around here though. Seems good enough.

10k+ miles on conventional lube. I love it! Welcome to the world of today's possibilities from current lubes and equipment!

This lube did everything right and nothing wrong. There is still life left in that load, but I understand folks are scared to tread out only so far. So as far as "safe" limits, 10k miles still leaves you a margin of safety. Whomever states that 3k or 5k miles is "cheap insurance" is stuck in yester-year.

The topic of TBN is only part of the story; you need to know TAN. TBN can be low, but as long as TAN is not high, you have no worries. TAN can even cross over TBN, but the lube can still be viable for some period of time. You really need to know both before you're at a point of knowning about condemnation.

Greatly extended dino OCIs are only for we heretics. With the next UOA, get TAN as well, and I suspect you'll see that you can go even further.

Your UOA is a great showing and you can take pride that you are bucking the old trends, and establishing new ones, with proof that you are still caring for your vehicle well.

Last edited:
Great report IMO.

TBN at 1.6 and the Ti is now showing less than 1/3 it's original concentration. That and the shear (although not bad for 10K) would have me believing you have reached the prudent ceiling on this oil for your rig.

Impressive. Does plain ol' Mobil Super really have 2,900 ppm Calcium? Am I seeing that right or is that a typo? Is this the second run of Super?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just dug around and I can't find any Mobil Super VOA/UOA's that show anywhere near that level of detergents. Have they changed something?

Just switched to this in the Focus
laugh.gif
It looked like it was a great oil, it's cheap and it meets Ford's specs for my car.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Great report IMO.

TBN at 1.6 and the Ti is now showing less than 1/3 it's original concentration. That and the shear (although not bad for 10K) would have me believing you have reached the prudent ceiling on this oil for your rig.

Impressive. Does plain ol' Mobil Super really have 2,900 ppm Calcium? Am I seeing that right or is that a typo? Is this the second run of Super?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just dug around and I can't find any Mobil Super VOA/UOA's that show anywhere near that level of detergents. Have they changed something?

I have been running the same Mobil Super 5000 for 5 oil changes now, and the UOAs for Mobil Super go to 8/24/11. The last column was Castrol GTX.

Last edited:
Thanks. You're last two OCI's are both crazy high in detergents, around 3,000 ppm. Wow. Is this brand new Super?

All the VOA's / UOA's I could find looked like your other two, around 2,200 ppm detergents.

Wow!
I used to think that a certain mod had been smoking a rope fiber making herb when he wrote about the potential for much longer drains on conventional oil than most of us would have dreamed of.
I am beginning to understand that much longer drains than I would have though possible are actually quite reasonable.
Thanks for posting this UOA.

Ok this is very neat but just a question: where is the moly coming in?? The column that has GTX and GTX has never had moly. So where is this moly showing up in oil that has none???
Originally Posted By: aigochamaloh
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Great report IMO.

Thanks!

I have been running the same Mobil Super 5000 for 5 oil changes now, and the UOAs for Mobil Super go to 8/24/11. The last column was Castrol GTX.

Nice UOA, but unless MS5K has just become a kicked up version of Mobil Special, this doesn't look like MS5K. I didn't think they changed the additive chemistry.

Originally Posted By: salv
Nice UOA, but unless MS5K has just become a kicked up version of Mobil Special, this doesn't look like MS5K. I didn't think they changed the additive chemistry.

Agree; (at least it does not appear to be an SN version unless something has changed recently). Calcium is too high (should be in the 2200ish range), sodium is too low (should be in the 360ish range), and titanium is too low (should be in the 30ish range).

I dunno what to say. They have been Mobil 5k for awhile now. The may have been old bottles I got from the auto zone deal awhile, or they could have been from Walmart, but they were all Mobil 5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back