Mobil Super 5K 5W30 '09 Subie Legacy 2.5i 10655 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that likely to happen? I feel like the UOA is consistent with my engine's history, so I don't know if that is the case here. Who knows though. What was the add. pack for the SM Mobil 5K? The Autozone bottles may be old enough to be SM.

There was no MS5K in SM. It was called Mobil Clean 5000 and came in a silver bottle as opposed to the dark grey MS5K. Mobil Clean had about 2200 ppm calcium, 150 ppm moly.
Current Mobil Special has about 2500 ppm calcium, 45 ppm moly.

Last edited:
Do you remember when the make up oil was added? Is this a 5 qt fill?
I imagine that fresh oil is why the TBN held up.

Ok then I never had Mobil clean in here. Always dark grey bottles. Always been Mobil super. Added the make up at 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: mr_diy
Do you remember when the make up oil was added? Is this a 5 qt fill? I imagine that fresh oil is why the TBN held up.

Not necessarily; I had a 10K run with the same oil and added 0.5 QT at 7,500 and my TBN was 1.4. My capacity is 7QTs so 0.5QT make-up oil would not have had that much of an impact. As long as there is not a lot of short tripping, this oil is good for 10K all day (not that any other oil would last longer with short tripping).

Well Super has been teasing me for a test run anyway. Have we decided if they've changed the formula or this is bad lab work? If it really has 3,000 ppm calcium my dirty Jeep is gonna see some.

MSHM did a lot of cleaning in my 4.0. Ran Super quiet and slowly turned dark throughout the OCI. Black as night when I dumped it. Ran it with and XG8A.

Asked Blackstone about my sample and they said the additive packages could have changed. I will be sending in virgin oil for analysis and will post up results.

Originally Posted By: salv
MSHM did a lot of cleaning in my 4.0. Ran Super quiet and slowly turned dark throughout the OCI. Black as night when I dumped it. Ran it with and XG8A.

What'd you run salv, 10w40?

Originally Posted By: aigochamaloh
Asked Blackstone about my sample and they said the additive packages could have changed. I will be sending in virgin oil for analysis and will post up results.

Fantastic, thanks!

KCJEEP, I ran MSHM 10w30. We had a cold winter up here this year that did not want to go away. I would be running it in 10w40 next, but I got 6 jugs of Peak 10w40 for $3 each at my local AZ. I have no evidence of leaks or seepage even after dumping the high mileage to put in Delo. Whatever effect MSHM had on seals and gaskets lasted after it was drained.

Last edited:
Curious UOA. Are Subaru 2.5 (naturally aspirated) and others known to be easy on oil and wear?

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Curious UOA. Are Subaru 2.5 (naturally aspirated) and others known to be easy on oil and wear?

Yes, the n/a Subaru's are known to be easy on oil.

-Dennis

Well, got the VOA on the oil. Curious where my Moly and Calcium is coming from then, because this is the oil I have been using for 4 or 5 changes. I put both analysis on one post so it's easier to see.

Thanks for the update. That VOA looks exactly right. What on earth is Blackstone doing these days? I am thinking of switching so much of their stuff is highly questionable anymore.

So, they definitely made a mistake on your UOA. The VOA is the right chemistry for MS5K.
Blackstone makes a lot of mistakes. I'd get your money back for both the UOA and VOA.

Maybe [censored] needs someone just to give the UOA's a once going over before out to the customer... but then again, one would think a flag would spring at time of compiled results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back