Mobil Clean "7500"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using these oils? Funny how XOM's #1 seller is actually a synthetic. Mobil actually makes very good conventional oils too that don't get that much attention. Clean is a blend though.

Quote:
Mobil Clean 7500 is formulated from a combination of synthetic and conventional quality base stocks combined with modern performance additives, including an advanced cleaning additive system to provide excellent engine cleanliness, protection and longer oil life at oil drain intervals up to 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. These oils help protect against sludge, piston deposts, engine rust and corrosion under severe and low-temperature operating conditions. Pour depressants and a viscosity index (VI) improver are included, where required, to provide the optimum viscosity and fluidity over a wide range of temperatures. Mobil Clean 7500 is available in three multi-viscosity grades: SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30. All three grades contain friction-reducing additives. The American Petroleum Institute (API) classifies these viscosity grades as "Energy Conserving" engine lubricants, and meet ILSAC GF-4 and also meet API SM. In addition, Mobil Clean 7500 5W-20 meets the latest requirements of Ford and Honda. It meets Ford Specification WSS-M2C930-A.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Clean_7500.asp

This oil, I suspect, is also finally sold in Canada as Mobil 'Special 2000'. Specs look great on it.

You're right, it is different branches of EOM that produce the two oils, one in Canada, on in the US.

And the oils aren't the same - specs are different enough that they are most likely fairly different formulations.

But, it is nice to see a high-quality EOM blend in Canada. Before, you just had Esso Extra, and M1 oils. Now there is a step in between....

I was a fan of Mobil Clean 7500 a few years ago but it now costs nearly as much as full synthetics (especially 5 qt. jugs at WM).
I think Motorcraft semi synt. for 11.50 per 5 qt. jug is a better value.

XL ISN'T a blend - it is 100% group III+ base oil, which makes a 'full synthetic'. I don't know why people keep referring to this oil as a 'blend'.

As to the mileage, well, yeah, it does make Amsoil look a little 'weak-kneed', saying that you have to have a full-syn to go 7500 miles; when Mobil says you can do that on a blend.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
XL ISN'T a blend - it is 100% group III+ base oil, which makes a 'full synthetic'. I don't know why people keep referring to this oil as a 'blend'.

As to the mileage, well, yeah, it does make Amsoil look a little 'weak-kneed', saying that you have to have a full-syn to go 7500 miles; when Mobil says you can do that on a blend.....

Oops, my bad. I don't know why, but I have in my mind that they were blended oils. Knowing they are fully grp III makes things a little more clear.

I find M1 products way too expensive for what you get in return. Now this is just my opinion so nobody get their nickers in a knot.
grin2.gif

You can buy Pennzoil Platinum in Canada for almost $6 cheaper for the same size jug and IMO its equal if not better in performance!

I think XOM needs to come down a peg in pricing or they might start loosing market share!
wink.gif

I buy Amsoil because in Canada it's not that much more for me to do my change with ASL or SSO than it is to with M1. And with Amsoil ASL/SSO I get more PAO content from what I understand.

To me that makes it an easy choice...
wink.gif

Note: I never said their was anything wrong with M1 products, I'm speaking about a value perspective for the Canadian market!

Maybe in Canada, but here in the U.S. their oils are priced very competitively. I might run this oil next.

Buster I ran it in the Silverado and Toyota. It was ok. A *slight* hit on MPG but never did a UOA on it.

I had VOAs done with it. Here are the VOA theads A lot of sodium in it. (along with GTX, Valvoline and other Mobil oils)

I have not seen it on a store shelf for years. We run the Mobil 5000 with excellent results. Prob Mobil's best oil IMO.

Let us know what you think if you run it.

That is a problem though as it is so old. They might have, and probably have changed the formula of it.

I ran 7500 when it first came out. No issues. A nice value oil when it was under $3 when they introduced it and the 5000 as new products. It was positioned at a difficult market point, and standard formula (non-EP) M1 wound up being not much more. Like Bill, I haven't seen it around here in the usual places for at least two years. I do recall some closeouts at under $2, which was a steal.

I would have no hesitation in using it in a non-synthetic application.

I ran 7500 for a couple of oil changes, but couldn't find it after that. Still later when I could find it, it was badly overpriced.

If it were available and competitive I would use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back