Mobil Clean 7500 Honda Accord 2.4L 9130 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
But most dino's aren't Group III. I'm talking standard dinos and I'm just looking at the fact that around 5,000 miles these oils were at or very near the end of their life (at least with respect to their ability to neutralize acids but presumably and likely also in other areas as well). Looking at these UOA's, would anyone honestly suggest that they could be run twice as long as they were?

Whatever Madmike...I'm still looking for proof to prove your point. All your doing is defending your oppinion, without backing it up. Provide your own links, and state facts from MFG's, give some OIC quotes from someones manual...something.

Honda covers my cars based on 10k OCI's until 100k via extended warrenty. I'm not saying I do that consistantly, I'm saying Honda is confident in their OCI's and I think your wrong to name all those companies who you believe disagree with Honda. Your really stretching your opinion to the point it will be ignored.

I stand by the automotive engineers and MFG recomendations. We all make mistakes and miscalculations, we're human. But if we dont trust their expericance and tests, then what do we trust? An OA at each drain? Have at'er! Your money.

You were the one who was going to prove me wrong with UOA's from this site showing great 10K runs on DINO and you essentially proved my point instead. The dinos are all shot by the time they reach 5,000 miles, and those are the UOA's I was referring to. They're not 10,000 mile OCI's but I think you can extrapolate and draw the conclusion that they certainly shouldn't be in use for another 5,000 miles based on the TBN alone. What more proof do you need? You might be able to take them a little longer but certainly not 10,000 miles! I'm done with this post as I think we've both exhausted our arguments and we're at an impass but I don't think you'll find too many people on this site (or anywhere) who would be willing to run dino for 10,000 miles in their own vehicles, even with the blessing of the manufacturer.

My 2006 Honda has an OLM. If all vehicles had this there would be few debates here about OCI - just change oil when the OLM shows an oil life expectancy of between 15%-0%. This is what my Honda manual says and there is no mention of mileage or severe/normal conditions use because the maintenance minder shortens the oil life expectancy assumption for things like cold starts, engine temps for short trips, heavy engine loads, and a few other things. In other words, it sort of penalizes the oil for certain conditions that it monitors and is reflected in the percentage of oil life expectancy it displays.

This thing is not fool proof of course but it has a proven track record at Honda and an even longer one at GM, the developer of this contraption. Tests have shown an OLM is pretty darn accurate and sure makes more sense than going by some arbitrary figure like X number of months or X number of miles; that kind of thinking started 100 years ago. Also, these things are usually calibrated for dino so synthetic use should give even greater leeway as to OCI.

Just go by the OLM, change to the weight oil the manufacturer suggests, use name brand oil such as Havoline, Chevron, Superflo, MC, whatever, and sleep well. If you still don't trust it, use synthetic or go with LC20, FP60 and get a UOA to tell you if the OLM is telling you the truth or not.

Martyi--out of curiosity, what kind of driving do you do (city/highway mix, etc) and around what mileage does your monitor usually indicate it's time?

I ran the factory fill on my 05 civic to 10K (TBN was 1.7):
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003273#000000

I should have a 10K OCI sample of Havoline SM 5w20 in the next few weeks (currently at ~9400 miles on oil and ~19400 miles on unit). I'll post the UOA when it arrives.

I've taken blotter samples every 500 miles, the dipstick shows no appreciable oil use, and the oil still looks pretty clean on the dipstick.

I expect my engine to grenade at any time
grin.gif

Mike, you may be correct about most cars running on dino.. But Honda's are different. Dino's are rarely ever done by 5k in a honda. I completely disagree with everything you are saying on this one. I 100% agree with honda's recommended oci. 10k for "normal driving", and 5k for "Severe driving". Most people fall under the severe.

uoa 1
uoa 2
uoa 3, which you also took part in.

I'm sure i could find more, but i just don't care enough to put forth anymore effort.

But what can be so different about Honda engines that they can go 10,000 miles and end up with a TBN that most other vehicles drop to at half that mileage? That's what I don't understand, and also we haven't seen all that many dino OCI's on Honda's at 10,000 miles to know if this result is consistent or not. I've seen many OCI's on this board where TBN is almost depleted around 5,000 miles so I probably still wouldn't take it to 10,000 miles, even in a Honda.

Of the 3 links you provided, only 1 took dino anywhere near 10,000 miles and Blackstone commented that the wear metals were high. (I know that's open to interpretation so I won't harp on it) But it speaks to the larger issue of having very few actual UOA's to determine if this can be done consitently and safely. One UOA that's OK doesn't prove the point. I would need to see many more to be convinced that 10,000 miles on dino makes good sense in a Honda. I'm already convinced that it doesn't make sense in most other vehicles from many UOA's on this board.

quote:

Originally posted by MADMIKE:
Of the 3 links you provided, only 1 took dino anywhere near 10,000 miles and Blackstone commented that the wear metals were high.

...the one with high metals you're referring to was factory fill. Every factory fill UOA I've seen shows higher than average wear metals (most factory fill UOAs have far less than 10K miles).

I'm interested to see how ugly (or not) my current 10K run will be. The problem with 10K OCI's (aside from folks just not taking it that far) is how long it takes to rack up 10K miles!

Well MadMike, I guess you could call my type of driving "boring". I've been retired 11 years now and don't drive like I use to, or as often. I do try to take the Honda out once a week for a 50 mile trip to town (I live way out in the country). Other than that it only sees country roads and never any stop and go traffic and we don't have any real cold weather down here to speak of.

I don't speed or rev the thing up nor do I haul anything or trailer anything. I own a Honda Ridgeline truck with the 3.5 VTEC engine but really don't use it as a truck very often. I bought it only because it was neat and quite advanced. I am very happy with it (as I've talked about in other threads). BTW, I checked the oil today and, at least on the dip stick, it looks great with a nice amber glow to it. I know you can't tell a whole lot from that but it sure is not dirty or burnt.

I bought the Honda new in May 2005 and have less than 12,000 miles on it. My first oil change was around 6000 miles which was in January when the OLM first showed the service due notice (15% oil life expectancy). I changed the factory fill with Havoline 5w20 and I have used FP60 and LC20 per their general doseage instructions ever since I hit 3000 miles on the truck.

Currently, I have 30% oil life expectancy showing on the OLM and I am just short of 6000 miles on the Havoline. I'm sure I could go to next January before reaching 0% when the service past due notice comes on. However, I will change once again at the first service notice which comes on at 15%. At the rate I'm going, it should hit that in another 800 or 1000 miles or so. From my limited experience with this, it appears the OLM will not go beyond 7000 miles before the signal is issued for an OC, at least per my driving habits.

The factory fill change indicator came on a 1000 miles sooner than this one will. Honda always says to leave the factory fill in the engine until the OLM shows it needs to be changed.

Well, I hope I answered your questions - probably more than you wanted to know!!

Wow!!! It is amazing how much controversy some simple data can generate, especially when it conflicts with some strongly held beliefs.

Some clarifications:

Honda's OCI for the V6 engine is 7500 miles. The 10,000 mile OCI is only for the 2.4L DOHC engine. TBN readings from a V6 are not a valid comparison. The old 2.3 L SOHC engine was also 7500 miles.

The Mobil 7500 oil was bought on clearance at WM for $2.00/qt. At that price it was a good deal. I have one more cycle other than what is in the car now. This oil in 5W-20 has become impossible to find so I will need to find an alternative. I am considering either Syntec or GTX. I like the convenience of the 5 Qt jugs. I am curious to see some GTX OCIs from post February 2006 oil. I think Syntec is pretty good stuff despite the negative posts without evidence in some corners of this board.

It would be interesting to see the GTX, to see if the rumored superior add pack can live up to the hype. $10/5qt-jug around here.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
It would be interesting to see the GTX, to see if the rumored superior add pack can live up to the hype. $10/5qt-jug around here.

I'm tempted as all get out to go with that stuff, at that price. We have that too.

That is interesting. It explains the lack of consistency in the VOAs. Some had sodium and some did not.

"Honda's OCI for the V6 engine is 7500 miles. The 10,000 mile OCI is only for the 2.4L DOHC engine."
According to the manula, the 1.7 OCI is 10K for "normal" driving.

I do not think I have seen any GI or GI/GII dino oils UOA with 10,000 miles from a Honda on this site. I do not think we have seen any true dino oils turn in great UOA results at that high of an OCI! I am preety sure that most of the UOA on this site with intervals exceeding 5000-7500 miles are done with synthetic blends and true synthetics in general. Their are a few GII and lower oils with 7500 and 6000 mile intervals that look ok though. The Asian imports have never specified much more then the minimum standard ie current "API". The Europeans on the other hand have made oil selection for various extended OCI's much more specific and for good reason!

As the amount of deposits increase in the engine the chances for damage increase. Seals do not like varnish or sludge. Even lowly varnish cause's hot spots. As more deposits build up they do so systemicly the rings,cam surfaces, slack adjuster, actuators etc.... all collect varnish. If you treat your vechile well it is less likely to break down on you and leave you stranded. I also think that any owner has some level of moral obligation to the next owner.

Hahahahahaha....

I can't believe the amount of posts with a negative attitude towards the Honda engines.

Well, I can't say I didn't use to be the same way. I've seen the light. After 20 years of listening to several of my friends reccomend Honda, watching them just completely beat the snot out of a car, especially the engine, and now owning 3 Hondas, I'm convinced.

Most of these people I know with 20+ years of Hondas say "I don't know" when they were asked the last time they changed the oil.

I bought a 95 Accord that was "filthy" on the inside of the engine, Appears to still be after 17,000 miles of 3-5k mile OCI's. But it runs like a scalded dog. Doesn't smoke, doesn't leak, just run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back