Mobil Clean 7500 Honda Accord 2.4L 9130 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Honda varied it's OCIs based on the engine design, does provide evidence that Honda is paying attention. Further, Honda is fairly specific on NORMAL and SEVERE service. Nowadays, Hondas is moving to a GM like OLM which I believe is a good thing, so the question almost becomes moot.

Anybody who has serviced Hondas for a length of time can pretty much verify they get it right 99.9% of the time. How many pictures do we see of sludged up Hondas?

Quote:

Of the 3 links you provided, only 1 took dino anywhere near 10,000 miles and Blackstone commented that the wear metals were high. (I know that's open to interpretation so I won't harp on it) But it speaks to the larger issue of having very few actual UOA's to determine if this can be done consitently and safely. One UOA that's OK doesn't prove the point. I would need to see many more to be convinced that 10,000 miles on dino makes good sense in a Honda. I'm already convinced that it doesn't make sense in most other vehicles from many UOA's on this board.

Well, where are all the 10k mile OCI Hondas having sludge meltdowns? If this were happening (i.e. if this were a realistic concern), this would be all over the internet by now. It's not, so far as I can tell.

I don't see negativity towards honda engines, I see people trying to tell you to be careful you may regret 10K OCI's.

Here is an example of manufacutrer giving bad advice on oil change:

1992 Mitsubushi Eclipse Turbo; recomended OCI was every 5K (dino, synth wasn't very mainstream).

Do you really think running 5K in a turbo engine running 12 lbs of boost is a good idea? No, it sure isn't. Not when it's dyno oil. Fact is, the turbo engine had the same interval as non-turbo, which really doesn't make sense. Everyone knows turbos are hard on oil.

So there is a perfect example. And it sucks throwing a rod at 130k miles because previous owner went to jiffy lube every 5K cause that was the minimum he had to do to keep the warranty. Probably drove the snot out of it
wink.gif

Oh well, they will sell more cars because someone will have to buy another car sooner.

"Can't we all Jus' git along?" R. King

Personally I would just swap out the 3 to 4 quarts of just about ANY modern 5W-20 oil every 5K, put on a new GEN-U-INE Honda filter every other time and CALL IT GOOD!

The TBN issue would then be moot, would it not?

Cheers!

This UOA is interesting. This oil's tbn is pretty strong with almost 10k on the oil. Does anyone think that deposits would form with the oil in such good shape?

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
But most dino's aren't Group III. I'm talking standard dinos and I'm just looking at the fact that around 5,000 miles these oils were at or very near the end of their life (at least with respect to their ability to neutralize acids but presumably and likely also in other areas as well). Looking at these UOA's, would anyone honestly suggest that they could be run twice as long as they were?

The point you are missing is that there's no such animal as a 5W20 or a 0W20 that is pure grp1 or 2 for that matter. Honda has spec'd 5W20 and all of them are a blend or semi-synthetic regardless of whether it is marketed as such. There's not a 5W20 product on the shelf at your local China Mart or parts house that would have a problem running 10K intervals if the the owner's driving habits fit within the normal service specs. Granted, if the owner drives severe service it would be wise to drop back to 7,500mi.
It's inaccurate to try to compare Honda with others who have had sludging issues because every engine family is different. After working on Hondas for years it's clear that they can stretch intervals far longer than the average bear. That's not to say they are any better than engines that have to have oil changes every 5K: only different.
I would run any 5W20 out to 10K and let my UOA be my guide. A TBN of 2 doesn't mean an oil is shot. Depends on who is doing the analysis.
I've went through the supposed sludging problem with Toyota firsthand as I was a tech for them. The vast majority of them were from owners that thought all they had to do was put gas in a Toyota to keep it running. MOST were lease customers that didn't want to touch their cars. I had many customers that did their oil changes like clockwork that are still driving their "supposed" sludge engines past the 300K mark. Oh well,that's a whole different issue.
Let your UOA be your guide to intervals. That's much more accurate than what someone "feels" or "thinks" is best for you. I have several customers that are running a "blend" 5W20 out to 10K based on my advice after looking at their UOAs. They all have spotless engines with no consumption problems. I'd say the Honda fellows have more than done their homework on the 2.4 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back