Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 used to be my favorite synthetic oil with 5W-30 in the wife's 2008 Prius and 0W-40 Euro Formula in my BMW 530i with 10K mile OCIs on both. At 50K miles, the Prius started using oil and I figured that the low-tension rings that Toyota used was the cause but numerous UOAs showing high iron content with Mobil 1 left me wondering. Also, Mobil 1 no longer offers any oil meeting BMW's LL-01 spec. The 0W-40 Euro was a great synthetic and was on BMW's recommended list, but I guess that Exxon Mobil is no longer interested in that market. Lastly, Mobil 1 does not currently offer any ACEA A5 oil, which is required/recommended for some of the newer turbo-equipped cars.

All this leaves me wondering about Mobil's future game plan. Your thoughts?

The high iron UOAs were nonsense, IMO. As has been pointed out dozens of times, you can have LESS wear and still have higher iron readings on $30 UOAs if it just happens to move the particle size into the relatively narrow window of sizes that the test picks up on. If the particles are the "wrong" size for the UOA, you can have a huge amount of actual wear and it won't show up on a cheap UOA.

The lack of BMW LL-01 and Chrysler MS12633 both smack of bad relations with those companies for some reason. In the case of Chrysler, M1 was dropped as the OEM supplier in favor of SOPUS, so its a little understandable- MS12633 also appears to have been cooked up *just* to make 0w40 oil suppliers other than SOPUS jump through a new hoop. From descriptions of the test, just about any oil that meets API and ACEA specs should meet it fine. BMW LL-01 is a bit different in that it actually does go a little beyond what the other specs require. However, M1 0w40 FS (the one that doesn't carry BMW LL-01) seems to be every bit as good, maybe better, than the previous iteration.

Could it be that the oil companies are getting fed up with the manufacturers concocting specifications that go beyond the traditional industry standards like API, ILSAC, and ACEA and Mobil is the first one to just punt those specs and see if it cuts into sales?

I would guess that they are not going to worry too much about niche markets and target the thinner grades that gas mileage regulations are pushing automakers to recommend for mass market cars in the US.

The yellow bottle people are running commercials on the car channels showing a BMw being flung around a snowy road. Big woop.

I'm going back to M-1 from PP. I've found way too much sediment in the bottom of the PP jugs. Never found any in the M-1 jugs.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
Exxon/Mobil does still offer a LL-01 oil in the US. Longlife 01 has not been a current BMW spec for 12 years since LL-04 came out.
I don't know where you can find it. I still use the 0w-40 FS in my BMW.

Mobil Super™ 3000 X1 5W-40
Mobil Super™ 3000 X1 5W-40 is a full synthetic motor oil

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-Super-3000-X1-5W40

I did the "Find the right oil" thing on the Mobil website and this is what popped up...

Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends 7 quarts of a 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets BMW Longlife LL-01. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications.

I also Googled "Mobil Super X3000" and it popped up numerous times, but always for foreign countries. Nothing for the US.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

...Could it be that the oil companies are getting fed up with the manufacturers concocting specifications that go beyond the traditional industry standards like API, ILSAC, and ACEA and Mobil is the first one to just punt those specs and see if it cuts into sales?

API specifications are established by the petroleum industry, which is like letting the fox guard the chicken coop. In sharp contrast, ACEA standards are established by representatives of the car designers/builders. IMHO, they are in a far better position to know what their cars require.

It takes all of them working together - and it takes companies that make a profit from new ideas and proven performance... was it GM that figured out synthetics for a great price - or GTL technology ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back