Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a bit of a struggle here and I know this is the right place to ask this question.

I posted a few weeks back with a slight oil burning problem on my '00 Intrepid with a 2.7 and 253,000 miles. I used Amsoil in it from the time I bought it with 22K. I was going to keep it to 300K but I didn't want to spend the $$$$ to replace the A/C evap. I was paid the ultimate compliment by the dealer when he added the car to his loaner fleet.

Anyway, I bought an '00 300M for a screamin' deal and I want to convert it to synthetic fluids like the other car had. My question is on the oil. Amsoil just had another price increase at my shop and their oil is now in the $8-$8.50 range per quart. I also noticed the filters are about to double in price as apparently they are changing their filters as well.

Mobil 1 is cheaper at my local Costco by far and I am certainly not afraid to use a Wix filter with it or another reccomended brand. At those prices, Amsoil is getting expensive.

So, should I switch, or am I just being a cheap *******?

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

I don't think you're being cheap at all. I stopped using Amsoil years ago, cost vs. benefit was one factor. I ran my LH 3.5 motor for 221K on mostly M1 oil and filter before the trans let go. The last UOA I did just before the trans died was stellar. I remember your previous post. You did fantastic for a 2.7!
As an aside, I have some leftover Amsoil trans fluid. At 165K I had changed the fluid with Amsoil and did it again at 215K, again with Amsoil. It died at 221K. To be fair, the trannies on these cars are weak. The replacement at 115K had all the latest upgrades and used Mopar +4 until I changed it with the Amsoil. My point is with all the upgrades and using Amsoil, there wasn't any increase in service life.
I'm starting to use the Pennzoil Platnum. At about $2/qt after rebates with AA and Pep Boys (and Wally matching in some instances) and with many positive comments on this board, I figure it's worth a shot.

Good luck with the new car, love to find an M myself!

quote:

So, should I switch, or am I just being a cheap *******?

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

I use Mobil 1 5W-20 in my 2001 Taurus because it meets the latest Ford spec and is readily available. I believe it meets the latest Chrysler spec as well. I know nothing of Amsoil oil.

That said, I use the latest Amsoil EA filters. Donaldson and Amsoil EA filters are excellent and better than anything currently available.
quote:

Good luck with the new car, love to find an M myself!

As would I.
cheers.gif

[ February 26, 2006, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Iain ]

You can always order Amsoil. I'm sure one of the Amsoil sites sponsors would more than help you.

Pennzoil looks like they are promoting the Platinum with some super deals. Wear levels are very good with this new oil & the prices so far has been incredible.

If I was in the hunt for a synthetic in a moderately clean, sub-100K engine that I just purchased, this would be the brand I would grab first -- followed by the 2-3 sales Auto Zone has every year at $3.99 for German Castrol 0W-30.

You don't need to spend $10-$15 for filtering. Members here at BITOG have 300K vehicles using basic Frams exclusively. I won't support Frams anymore because other companies give you better quality at near-same prices, so AC Delcos, Motorcrafts, Wix, Purolators, & Bosch are all you need for good filtering/flow service under 10K OCIs for only around $5.

quote:

but I hope they include Chapstick!

No I think it includes AJ's Prostate 2000 Vitamin formula.

Go through a site sponsor and get a great price. At that price, Amsoil is worth it.

All oils are getting better. Amsoil is certainly excellent, but you need to run it to the full oil change mileage, as determined by analysis, to get the cost benefit. Ditto for all synthetic oils except for very cold or very hot operation.

Use Mobil 1 and rest easy. It is also excellent oil,

Ken

I like amsoils products but i dont see myself going the distance with oil change intervals. I like to go 6K max so thats why im going to try moble one new truck and suv formula or even the EP. I like the way my truck drives with the amsoil series 3k but its a waste of money to change it at 6K intervals, who knows ill do some uoas and that may change my mind.

Sometimes I just have to laugh when I see people worring so much about price differences on a couple oil changes per year. What are we talking, $25-$30 per year difference between AMSOIL and M1. Don't get me wrong, I think both are fine products but I personally choose AMSOIL for a few reasons. 1) I think they make some of the highest quality sythetic lubrication products across the board, 2) I somehow like the idea of supporting the company that really got the ball rolling with respect to consumer synthetic lubricants and 3) they are 100% owned and operated in the USA.

quote:

Sometimes I just have to laugh when I see people worring so much about price differences on a couple oil changes per year. What are we talking, $25-$30 per year difference between AMSOIL and M1. I somehow like the idea of supporting the company that really got the ball rolling with respect to consumer synthetic lubricants and 3) they are 100% owned and operated in the USA.

==========================================

No need to throw in that concerned American sentence - since you drive a 2004 Subaru WRX.

there definitely is a difference between buying American made for goods that have lots of options... but for a large purchase like a car - you cant blame anyone for buying a vehicle that appeals to them above any other vehicle... Its too big of a purvchase to buy American just because... If the American car appeals, great... if not, there is no good reason to buy it... That is different from other goods... oils tools, this, that, etc.

Subaru was owned in part b a US company in 04, and for all I know, was made here, giving some fellow countrymen jobs.

JMH

I use Amsoil cause I go with a one year run. And with the new Ea Nano filter, it just got better.

I fail to understand folks that run Mobil on 2 cycle OCI per year,,,where is the cost benefit compared to a one year which averages out to 12k-15k and that being on the conservative side.

No I use Amsoil, I fail to understand how Mobil can cost less! I buy quality is why I buy Amsoil!

Thanks for all the replies. I actually think the tranny fluid is the best I've seen. I even run in in my older Chryslers (3 '68's and 2 '70 Plymouths) and it's great. Same thing with the gear lube. My OCI is 6-8K and I put on around 35,000 miles a year. I was dumping the fluid on the Intrepid every 50K just for the sake of the filter. That obviously worked well.

My shop does great work but I think the pricing on this stuff is out of hand. Mobil 1 10W30 is 27.99 for a six pack at Costco locally + 5% Mass tax.

The 300M is wonderful and a nice step up over the Intrepid. The Intrepid was, far and away, the best car I've owned. The M has a few minor things that are covered under a dealer warranty, but nothing too serious.

Thanks again for the replies! Keep them coming!

I dont' know who you are buying Amsoil from at $8.00 a quart, but I hope they include Chapstick!

I signed up as a Preferred customer with Amsoil and purchased a two year supply of oil substantially cheaper than that. Check into this program if you want oil at more reasonable pricing.

And the new Ea filters, at least for Fords and Chevy's, are about the same price as the Amsoil filters they replace. They filter smaller particles, hold more dirt and have higher flow. But, I do buy Baldwin filters which accomplishes the same thing at half the price.

I wouldn't hesitate to use M1 EP or Amsoil for an equivalent length of time. I would base my decision on cost and convenience. Same goes for the filters. I would invest in a UOA or two if I wanted to do extended OCIs. Neither are immune to problems created by defects in the engine.

Be aware that there may be some Chrysler 2.7L V6 engines with inherent defects:

http://www.dontbuyone.org
http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=122&did=960

[ February 27, 2006, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back