Mobil 1 v Super Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe M1 contains PAO (Group 4) and Group 3, while SS is pure Group 3. So yes M1 is "better" because it contains PAO which should lower the Noack and the cold-cranking. But unless you are in a very cold climate or doing very long intervals, it shouldn't make a difference. A regular car, in a normal climate, with reasonable oil change intervals, it shouldn't make a fig of difference which one you use. They should both do their job and protect well.

There are many pure Group 3 synthetics out there that are well respected, they don't really say, but I'm guessing QSUD, Super Tech, Kendall GT-1, etc. All good stuff

M1 may or may not be the superior oil.
On the OCIs you plan with the engines you have, I'm sure there's be no difference at all.
MSS can be cheaper than M1 with store deals and after MIR, but the cost difference won't be dramatic.
The real great-deal syn is probably Magnatec from Walmart.
If I shopped shelf prices and didn't take advantage of store deals and MIRs, this would be my pick
since it is very well priced at around eighteen bucks a jug and is a proven good oil.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I believe M1 contains PAO (Group 4) and Group 3, while SS is pure Group 3. So yes M1 is "better" because it contains PAO which should lower the Noack and the cold-cranking. But unless you are in a very cold climate or doing very long intervals, it shouldn't make a difference. A regular car, in a normal climate, with reasonable oil change intervals, it shouldn't make a fig of difference which one you use. They should both do their job and protect well.

There are many pure Group 3 synthetics out there that are well respected, they don't really say, but I'm guessing QSUD, Super Tech, Kendall GT-1, etc. All good stuff

Don't forget, All M1 badged oils contain esters as well. You are right that MSS is a grp 3.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Don't forget, All M1 badged oils contain esters as well. You are right that MSS is a grp 3.

Where did you get that info? I find that very interesting, does this include Mobil 1 High Mileage oil as well?

Originally Posted By: gryffinwings

Where did you get that info? I find that very interesting, does this include Mobil 1 High Mileage oil as well?

From XM and yes, all M1 badged oils contain esters. Here is a link from XM.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/what-is-ester-oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gryffinwings

From XM and yes, all M1 badged oils contain esters. Here is a link from XM.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/what-is-ester-oil

I certainly agree that M1 is a good oil, and I certainly agree that some M1 oils have made use of esters in the past (I've seen a few references to this).

But their 2008 wording "Esters are one of the classes of synthetics that have been used in Mobil 1 oils" isn't very strong. It doesn't clearly say that all M1 products always have and always will use esters.

I think it's fairer to say that some M1 products are likely to contain esters.

Called XM recently and they do use esters in all M1 badged oils. The % is proprietary.

Last edited:
I was a big fan of Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W40 (former name: SuperSyn) in my oil burner SAAB 9.5 engine: 6K OCI and 1 quart per 1000 miles consumption. It was relative cheap synthetic for this application. It has only MB229.3 approval.

Last edited:
If you look at Shannow's blending chart - they are using a small amount - likely a "utility" amount - and then vary GIII/IV

Called XM recently and they do use esters in all M1 badged oils. The % is proprietary.

Excellen Work !!!

I'm enjoying M1 5W30 right now in my car.

Originally Posted By: zoli
I was a big fan of Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W40 (former name: SuperSyn) in my oil burner SAAB 9.5 engine: 6K OCI and 1 quart per 1000 miles consumption. It was relative cheap synthetic for this application. It has only MB229.3 approval.

We get a product with about the same name here, with LL-01 approval. It comes in 1200 L package sizing only, so it might be good for an oil burner.
wink.gif

Would that include their Delvac line also or just M1 ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back