Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Mobil 1 10w30 in my wife's 2001 Toyota Sienna. Since these engines have been documented as having sluge problems, I'm concerned about the oil I have on my shelf in the garage. I bought quite a few 5-qt jugs of Mobil 1 Tri-Syn some time ago, since they are very hard to find here and the price was good. I still have 4 of them left. But now, since finding this forum, I've read that the Tri-Syn formula was not that great and the newer Super-Syn formula is much better. So I'm a little worried about using the older Mobil 1 that I have. Should I think about an additive of some sort to use with it? Or am I worrying about nothing? I do 5K mile oil changes. Thanks

Al

At 5K mile changes I wouldn't worry about it. The SS variety is better but its not earth shattering. The 10W-30 stuff is very shear stable. I wouldn't add anything else to the oil. If you want to live on the wild side you could just add a quart of the SS variety to get some benefits and some moly from the new variety [Smile]

You can take them back to Walmart and exchange them, that's what I did. You don't need a receipt and they will give you a store giftcard.

Patman

Staff member
Check and see if it's the SL rated TriSynthetic. If so, this oil did very well in a UOA I posted on my sister's car last year. I ran it for 8k and it held up very well. I personally think the SL rated Trisynthetic might've been better than the new SuperSyn, although there isn't enough data to prove this, I just have a hunch that's all.

harrydog

Unfortunately it's SJ not SL. I guess I'll just use it although I might try to return it to Walmart, get a store credit, and buy some of the new formula next time they stock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.