Mobil 1 - Is a higher end Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the absence of real data...I don't think you can knock the manufacturers of high end cars.

If it's simply a marketing scheme, then oils don't matter much since it's all marketing

If they do and they pick mobil 1, then that says a lot.

If it's somewhere in between marketing and actual real world superiority...then I don't see how you can go wrong using Mobil 1.

"Mobil 1 is the factory fill of many top-performing cars including the Nissan GT-R, all Porsche vehicles, and Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles."

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Originally Posted By: dave123
Do either or any you speak for any company and they stand by you word for word what you say and if you don't you don't know any more what is better than some dope on the side of the street.

21.gif

I don't have any idea what you're saying.
That makes two of us... Maybe too much
beer3.gif
?

Let me see ..that's not unlike a "Gary string". I should be able to decipher.

Do either or any you speak for any company (?)

I'm not sure who he's talking to ..but I'll figure it's Art and me.

and they stand by you word for word what you say (?)

I don't see me saying anything about Amsoil ..and I obviously don't work for XOM.

and if you don't you don't know any more what is better than some dope on the side of the street.

This appears to be a statement.

So, are either of us speaking for any company? Do those companies stand by either of our words as truth? Do we (both?) know more than Jackshhh!!!?

I sell and represent Amsoil as a dealer. I'm not selling or promoting Amsoil products in this thread. I try to only speak the truth about Amsoil products and just about anything else. I don't know everything, but I hopefully know more than Jackshhhh!.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
I'm saying that a base stock made from

1. Group III and IV synthetic oil

is better than a base stock made solely from

2. Group III.

You can forget about Mobil 1 if that is what bothers you.

Any base stock that fits into criteria 1 will be better than any base stock in criteria 2.

That is all I am saying.

1-2) For what? Under what metric do you wish to measure?

For doing 3k/3m in central Florida in the winter and anywhere north of the Mason Dixon line for the rest of the year in a generic appliance owned by snowbirds? Nope.

Running either out to their ultimate fatigue points while comparing feature and benefit for feature and benefit in the most demanding and taxing conditions you can pull out of your behind? Probably ..but YMMV.

There is no answer to your question as posed.

[/quote]Do you think synthetic is superior to dino?

In my experience,in the engine,no. But in the gears,yes.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

It's probably a failing of mine (audience: keep in mind that I still have this Oleanna syndrome making my spider sense tingle here) ..but we're not coming to a conclusion for "you".

Gary,

I wish you'd come to a conclusion for "you" and simply not post in my threads. You always come down on them negative. Yet you continue to post over and over. Which makes no sense at all? I don't appreciate your input, since you are often condescending and disrespectful to me. If you don't like me that's fine. But why interact with someone you don't like? Can't you just find the strength to avoid responding to them?

As a general matter to the forum at large. If someone posts a thread that isn't interesting just allow it to extinguish itself. Why fuel it with negativity? There are people behind good questions and bad questions. Show some respect.

People are way more important than motor oil. Maybe some of you should think about that. I never mistreat people on here or anywhere else for that matter. I do defend myself however. I believe there is a difference in that.

Last edited:
Art, how have I offended you? I don't think I've once personally attacked you or said anything "bad" about you. I don't see where I've trespassed here.

I'm a curious guy. Not just about motor oil and the related subtopics ..but with people too.

It's obvious I'm stressing you here ..but I'm not sure why.

To answer the original question. NO. There is absolutely no sense to spending more for M1 JUST because you're getting something extra. You are getting NOTHING EXTRA. You're getting exactly what you paid for. If you wish to use it in a manner that could be serviced by a much less expensive oil ..since the extra features and robust formulation are as useful as udders on a bull ..that's your choice, but there will be no benefit beyond market share for XOM.

..but ..go in peace. I do wish you well in your time here.

2. Group III.

Any base stock that fits into criteria 1 will be better than any base stock in criteria 2.

That is all I am saying.

Art,
You aren't defining what you mean by "better" or "superior".
Until you do (and many in the thread have asked) you can't and wont get a straight answer.

For me and my application the answer is NO.
A Grp III and IV blend is not superior to just a grp III base stock.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1

If they do and they pick mobil 1, then that says a lot.

If it's somewhere in between marketing and actual real world superiority...then I don't see how you can go wrong using Mobil 1.

"Mobil 1 is the factory fill of many top-performing cars including the Nissan GT-R, all Porsche vehicles, and Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles."

Yep. According to Doug Hillary's last article of the month "As for Manufacturers and Oil Companies being in collaboration – well that may well be so. However take Porsche – they have about 100 Approved lubricants Listed – they Factory fill with Mobil 1! They also work very closely with Mobil’s Engineers on engine development but the car’s owner can use any of the 100 lubricant with confidence – simple as that!"

For my application, M1 0w-40 is best. Not just because it meets all the BMW specs, but my mechanic carries it.

Last edited:

Gary,

I wish you'd come to a conclusion for "you" and simply not post in my threads. You always come down on them negative. Yet you continue to post over and over. Which makes no sense at all? I don't appreciate your input, since you are often condescending and disrespectful to me. If you don't like me that's fine. But why interact with someone you don't like? Can't you just find the strength to avoid responding to them?

As a general matter to the forum at large. If someone posts a thread that isn't interesting just allow it to extinguish itself. Why fuel it with negativity? There are people behind good questions and bad questions. Show some respect.

People are way more important than motor oil. Maybe some of you should think about that. I never mistreat people on here or anywhere else for that matter. I do defend myself however. I believe there is a difference in that.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

*YOUR* THREAD?
smirk2.gif

"Show some respect" (like the above had ANY?)

Oh I'm sorry, missed the part where people can not answer or discuss in YOUR thread...

You OWE Gary an Apology first of all. He has been unbiased in this tread and answering the question TOO many times.

Mobil 1 is NOT a higher end Synthetic. NO OIL is.

Answer made. Get off the PAO this or group III that because it does not matter. Get into finding a oil that makes you happy (just pick Mobil 1) and get on with it.

This thread does not need to be going on 7 pages....

If you want to fall for the Marketing go for it. But please please please just pick a oil and end it....

Bill

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Art, how have I offended you? I don't think I've once personally attacked you or said anything "bad" about you. I don't see where I've trespassed here.

I'm a curious guy. Not just about motor oil and the related subtopics ..but with people too.

It's obvious I'm stressing you here ..but I'm not sure why.

Your a lot nicer that I would have been and was on my last post..

Quote:
To answer the original question. NO. There is absolutely no sense to spending more for M1 JUST because you're getting something extra. You are getting NOTHING EXTRA. You're getting exactly what you paid for. If you wish to use it in a manner that could be serviced by a much less expensive oil ..since the extra features and robust formulation are as useful as udders on a bull ..that's your choice, but there will be no benefit beyond market share for XOM.

Excellent post! He will not get it (and some others) but thank you for it.

Bill

Not not 100% sure what the OP is looking for in this discussion but here is my opinion on the base stock and its bearing on how good an oil is. Since no one is really 100% certain what exactly Mobil 1 is using and its percentages I don't think the base stock matters much here. It is the total package that makes the oil good or bad. Given the selection of oils mentioned in the OP and keeping Amsoil out of the discussion, if I had to select an oil to use, it would be PP. Why? Because of the reviews it gets here and the UOA's. The base stock dosen't mean much, PP seems to be a consistantly good performer. JMO

M1 incorporates costlier ingredients derived from a more exotic process, can satisfy broader performance requirements, and could be considered a more elegant solution than a common Grp.III based oil. If that's true, I think you can consider it a higher end synthetic.

OTOH, if the "best" and "good enough" turn in identical results in your application, consider what you're paying extra for. Peace of mind, bragging rights, Kung PAO, whatever. Get your money's worth.

I'm saying the same thing about Mobil 1 as you are about Amsoil.

I'm saying exactly the same thing that Doug said.

Finally figured this thread out.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4

Exactly ... superior is subjective

Do you think synthetic is superior to dino?

Not necessarily. It depends on the subjective criteria.

2. Group III.

That is all I am saying.

If the subjective criteria is pour point, then you are correct.

If the subjective criteria is molecular stability of the synthetic base, then you are correct.

If the subjective criteria is cost, then you are not correct.

If the subjective criteria is viscosity index, then it depends on the particular dino.

If the subjective criteria is wear performance, it depends on the additive package for both.

If the subjective criteria is OCI, it depends on the formulation of the base oils and additive package.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back