Mobil 1 - Is a higher end Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Under limited duration of use, unless there was some ultra grueling severity, I don't think you would see much difference between any oil of comparable spec.

You may be getting something extra ..but what good does it do you if you never get close to pushing the envelope (any envelope)??

Bill it is not fair really knowing!!!
I do not push the envelope of any of my street cars but I do run the best group IV and V oil because [censored] happen and that is something that I can not predict. I did run my VW Golf TDI with little or no oil pressure for two hours on a blend of RP and Redline with no engine damage. I had to be at a payment meeting and the cost of the engine was minor compare to the payment that I was getting. The lost of oil pressure was due to a slow leak in the bypass system.

You had a leak big enough to lower or eliminate the oil pressure for TWO HOURS and still had oil left in the sump?

How many *gallons* does a TDI hold? I know its a diesel and they hold more but 2 hour leak?

Any one know of the gallons per MINUTE that a TDI flows?

Interesting....

Last edited by a moderator:
Who really cares! Mobil 1, PP, Valvoline Maxlife are all really great oils. Just pick one and be happy...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Have no doubt, every version of Mobil 1 and its Commercial "brothers" branded as Delvac are leaders in base fluid technology and Additive package construction. Some people may say that for the price they represent the very best lubricants available!

I always found this gentleman's posts informative. I don't think I'm saying anything that much different.

* The above is from the thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1066853

Last edited:
Quote:
I always found this gentleman's posts informative.

Doug is a very smart and accomplished man. He has knowledge and experience that (probably) none of us will ever manage.

Quote:
I don't think I'm saying anything that much different.

Art ..remember the "might" eventually evolving to the "MUST"? That's what "much" means in posting evolutions.

We're on a long protracted trip here. What's the destination that you really want to arrive at?

If you want to say "M1 is the oil for everyone ..all the time ..and you'll end up better off for it" ..fine. That is surely your right to that desired conclusion. I don't think you'll get too many to support the notion in the face of practical and sensible economics.

There is no such thing as magic oil. Doug Hillary will tell you that himself.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Cooking analogy: You need good ingredients to make a great tasting dish, but you gotta know how to put em together.
There was this fantastic Italian Restaurant in the North End of Boston I frequented in the 80's called Sorrento's. The chef could make a 'gravy' for the manicotti like no other - pure heaven. He used good quality, fresh ingredients, very sparsly spiced but the result was seemingly more than the sum of the parts.

Exactly ... superior is subjective, and based on more than just ingredients alone. Unless the term "superior" is defined and quantified, there is just no way to make comparison between manicotti (er ... motor oil) with or without PAO.

Last edited:

I thought Amsoil was a higher end synthetic? Are you saying that it is not?

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4

Exactly ... superior is subjective

Do you think synthetic is superior to dino?

Quote:
I don't think I'm saying anything that much different.

Art ..remember the "might" eventually evolving to the "MUST"? That's what "much" means in posting evolutions.

You are right Gary.

I'm saying exactly the same thing that Doug said.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: RI_RS4

Exactly ... superior is subjective

Once again, define "superior". I can define "superior" to mean lower price, in which case mineral oil will be superior to synthetic.

I thought Amsoil was a higher end synthetic? Are you saying that it is not?

Sure it is. It's just not "magic oil". There is no magic oil.

I'm saying the same thing about Mobil 1 as you are about Amsoil.

I think so....

it can handle heat better
perform better in the cold
and is capable of handling long OCI better
and in my case keep an engine cleaner

sounds like it to me?

No. I haven't said much beyond what you've asked me about Amsoil. You wanted it left out of the discussion. I've tried my best to accommodate your wishes.

Again, Art, just what are you looking for out of this discussion? If you simply state it, we probably could have saved a ton of bandwidth here. We keep going around in passive circles here.

What are you looking to prove or what are you trying to get someone to admit in a slowly constructed mythos?

I beginning to feel like Wm. Macy in Oleanna

No. I haven't said much beyond what you've asked me about Amsoil. You wanted it left out of the discussion. I've tried my best to accommodate your wishes.

Again, Art, just what are you looking for out of this discussion? If you simply state it, we probably could have saved a ton of bandwidth here. We keep going around in passive circles here.

What are you looking to prove or what are you trying to get someone to admit in a slowly constructed mythos?

I beginning to feel like Wm. Macy in Oleanna

Gary in all honesty what is your motivation here?

I'm saying that a base stock made from

1. Group III and IV synthetic oil

is better than a base stock made solely from

2. Group III.

You can forget about Mobil 1 if that is what bothers you.

Any base stock that fits into criteria 1 will be better than any base stock in criteria 2.

That is all I am saying.

Well, nothing in particular other than finding out what you ultimately are seeking as an outcome of this thread.

Nothing sinister to it, really. It's just a long thread and I'm wondering "are we there yet?" ..so to speak.

It's probably a failing of mine (audience: keep in mind that I still have this Oleanna syndrome making my spider sense tingle here) ..but we're not coming to a conclusion for "you".

In short, what do you need confirmation of ..or concession to ..to make you feel justified in your belief? If it's valid by the consensus of the group at large, then you can have high confidence. If it's got enough holes in it to ventilate a major metro-sports complex at full capacity ..then you need to realign your conceptual view of some things ........or not.

Mobil 1 is a great product. Is it for everyone? Nope. Neither is Amsoil. What more do you want or need? I'm really here to help you through this in whatever you're trying to determine.

Do either or any of you speak for any company and they stand by you word for word what you say and if you don't you don't know any more what is better than some dope on the side of the street.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave123
Do either or any you speak for any company and they stand by you word for word what you say and if you don't you don't know any more what is better than some dope on the side of the street.

21.gif

I don't have any idea what you're saying.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Originally Posted By: dave123
Do either or any you speak for any company and they stand by you word for word what you say and if you don't you don't know any more what is better than some dope on the side of the street.

21.gif

I don't have any idea what you're saying.
That makes two of us... Maybe too much
beer3.gif
?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back