Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 vs. Mobil 1 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 1997 Honda CRV with 235,000 miles. I've always used mobil 1 5W-30 in it.
The last 30,000 miles, it has begun to use a little oil. So I'm considering trying Mobil 1 HM 5W-30.

I compared both labels.
The HM version does not seem to meet as many standards.
Is it still okay to use?

Opinions please...
Should I try the HM version? Or should I stick with the regular version?

Interested in the reply as well..My Olds has run its life on M1 5w30, due to its age, its developed a leak or two. Put some dino HM in this last change, seems to have slowed it quiet a bit, wondering if next time I should try the M1 HM 5w30 as well??

Mobil 1's HM oils are very very good there a robust API SL package with added seal conditioners and boosted additive packages(anti-wear,detergents)and work well in any engine,try a UOA search you'll see that there well built.

the 5w30 has a HTHS of 3.4 witch is pretty good

if i had a new car i'd run there HM oil.

This thread has some info on the M1 HM 10w40.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1883932#Post1883932

I realize that's not the grade you're asking about but the info is very useful. The add pack is strong, the viscosity at the thicker end of specs.

I'm using it in a 1991 Ranger with the Vulcan V6 that has some seepage from various places. So far (about 900 miles) it seems to be reducing consumption by maybe half. One poster said it may take a few thousand miles to work with older seals.

I would definitely try it.

I wanted to report back after running Mobil 1 HM 5w-30 for over a year.

Prior to switching:
I was never in the good habit of checking oil levels often, because I never had a vehicle that consumed oil. This CRV had never consumed oil, until it did
wink.gif

I'm embarrassed to say that it was down more than a quart one time I checked it.

After switching to Mobil 1 HM 5w-30, it consumes no oil.
We now have 262,000 miles on it. Gas mileage seems to have dropped a little, but there are so many variables affecting mpg that I don't know if it is related in any way to the HM oil. But I am happy with the greatly reduced oil consumption.

That's a good anecdote. I ran M1 HM 5w30 in my Camaro for one OCI, and it slowed down oil consumption by about 25%. Consumption was ~1/2qt/4000miles on regular M1 5w30, and went to 1/2qt/5000miles on HM.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The HM is a better oil (probably their best). More zddp/better additive package.

Is their HM 10w-30 or 5w-30 certified for more Euro specs? I can't recall correctly.

I love the add pack in their HM oils, looks very similar to their EP line. Or at least used to, I haven't looked at them in awhile. Their 10w30 HM specs awhile back were most impressive! I got a stock of it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: shpankey
I love the add pack in their HM oils. Their 10w30 HM specs awhile back were most impressive! I got a stock of it.
smile.gif

The HM 10W-30 has the least impressive viscosity characteristics of the M1 HM range of oils. Due to it's low 149 VI it's actually heavier than M1 0W-40 at temp's as high as 50C.

IMO there is only one reason to use a M1 HM oil and that is for their seal swell additive. Even M1 HM 5W-30 is heavier on start-up to M1 0W-40 at temp's as high as 10C. If oil consumption is higher than you like running the regular M1 5W-30 and you want to try a heavier oil simply substitute a quart or two of M1 0W-40. This will give you a noticeably heavier oil at normal operating temp's without dramatically affecting cold start performance.

I was meaning their add pack. Back when I looked at it, it was very similar to their EP line. Also, back then there was some talk about its other specs, something about its pour point & some other stuff I forget now. This was brought up b/c during that period they were undergoing a change where they became less impressive. Some here were saying that it might be due to changing from more pao to the vissom. I ended up getting some of the older stuff before they changed it. Mind you I don't personally know a great deal about it, I was just going by what some others were on about. Perhaps one of them can expound on it better.

Eleven months ago my son bought a 97 Expy 4.6 with 168K or so. Right from the start we put M1 5-30 in it. After looking into the oil fill hole we saw some goop and varnish but no sludge build up. For the first 10K OCI it used a qt every 1400 miles. Last Sept we put M1 10-40HM to try and slow down oil use. Now my son tells me the oil consumption is at a qt every 2500-3000 miles and improving. If ring coking is his problem then It seems the HM oil is beginning to clean them up. There was never any smoke that was visible, and the engine sounds great with no valve or chain noise. Also the goop around the oil fill hole has disapeared.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Eleven months ago my son bought a 97 Expy 4.6 with 168K or so. Right from the start we put M1 5-30 in it. After looking into the oil fill hole we saw some goop and varnish but no sludge build up. For the first 10K OCI it used a qt every 1400 miles. Last Sept we put M1 10-40HM to try and slow down oil use. Now my son tells me the oil consumption is at a qt every 2500-3000 miles and improving. If ring coking is his problem then It seems the HM oil is beginning to clean them up. There was never any smoke that was visible, and the engine sounds great with no valve or chain noise. Also the goop around the oil fill hole has disapeared.

The MB-1 HM I believe is some very good stuff!

The M1 HM oils have a very high TBN (not sure if that makes a difference),high zddp,and on my UOA of the 10W40,it kept it`s viscosity,where RP sheared down (wonder why?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back