Mobil 1 (Group III) in a Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
True Brian. At this point I don't know why I still defend M1. Perhaps bc I still do believe it to be a very good oil. This test could be worse. It could have been performed by XOM.

Unintentionally (nevertheless probably) opening another can of worms here, but just how certain is anyone that a GTL base oil (described by some sources online as a "super" Group III base oil due to its lack of polycyclic aromatics, wax, and freedom from metal, nitrogen, and sulfur contamination) isn't perhaps what Mobil is loading into Mobil 1 EP?

Quote:

Unintentionally (nevertheless probably) opening another can of worms here, but just how certain is anyone that a GTL base oil (described by some sources online as a "super" Group III base oil due to its lack of polycyclic aromatics, wax, and freedom from metal, nitrogen, and sulfur contamination) isn't perhaps what Mobil is loading into Mobil 1 EP?

If they're using their VISOM wax isomerate, I think that would qualify as a Super Group III or Group III+, however you want to put it.

Quote:

Well, I know in 9-5s, the issue with 30 weight M1 wasn't deposits (at 5k), it was oil pressure. Honda, I'm sure, was just trying to stay on the thin side of things.

Interesting... that said, our 2.0L ecotec derived engines dont hve any issue with pressure of 30wt oils... yet M1 5w-30 is in no way reccomended whatsoever for use in those engines. At the same time, the 9-3 is designed for up to 18k mile OCIs, but then again, acuras are likely specced for what? 10k mile OCIs with a filter change every other time? Not that different, in the big scheme of things, considering that most saabs only go 12-15k on their oil change interval.

Im not sure that Id use M1 in my 9-3 one way or another, due to its lack of an A3 rating, which in my owner's manual, is claimed to be accpetable if top-up is necessary and a non GM-LL-025-A oil is not available. Though M1 is good oil, and works great in certain (many) applications. leaving the value analysis out of it, if the GIII,IV,V mix is doing great per UOA, in whatever engine, then all is well... if compromises are made, then we must look elsewhere - this is the case for any oil.

For us, M1 isnt the right choice one way or another... but in, for example, our acura, regardless of the value formula, if UOAs keep looking good (as they do), we will keep using it there...

JMH

Quote:

The point was people are scared to use it in applications that they had no problems using M-1 in the past. Group III and PAO performance as baseoils are closer than ever. The truth be told I have no problems using M-1 for the same applications that it was always recommended for.

I'm not certain you have characterized those of us no longer using ex-Mobil accurately. There is no fear in my decision to no longer use ex-Mobil. I do agree concerning the closeness of current group III oil and PAO’s. I certainly do not believe you will be ill served to continue to use ex-Mobil 1 in any application where you feel so inclined to use it. I only feel that, for less cost, I can equally protect the engine in my own vehicle. The simple old cost/benefit ratio is the only reason I am switching. No fear, no conspiracy theories, and no ill will. Perhaps a slight feeling of betrayal, but I’ll get over that in time.
smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

This is an advertisement not a test.

LOL- yea really. Sorry I want the last 2 minutes of my life back.
thread.gif

Me three...with no scales on the graph how can you tell how great the difference was? Oils that passed were 9.9 and M1 was 10.0? And what are "leading synthetics"? By sales volume? Brand recognition? How many other oils were tested and what are the brand names (even Amsoil publishes those)? Were the others only Group III based, or Group III/IV/V blends?

In other words, that graph is pure marketing bunk. The same crapola EOM and most other Corps now expects the average joe consumer to believe irregardless of actual quality.

And keep in mind, we have evidence that EOM is using less costly, and possibly inferior materials to make their products, but we have yet to see if the product was improved in any way. Virtually all of the UOAs we have here are of such short OCIs, most dinos can do as well or better than M1. Whose to say that an older formulation of M1 wouldn't of smoked the current M1 in that chart above?

The bottom line is EOM prefers to bamboozle their customers instead of being up front and honest, while expecting to charge a premium for brand recognition and marketing bullhockey.

twocents.gif

didn't Mobil the maker of Honda oil? maybe there are some agreement things and Honda need to come out and justify the use of M1 5w-30 instead of Castrol. all M1 5w30 I purchased wihtin this year (2x4.4L and 3x1L) is A1/B1 on the bottle and Castrol 5w30 stated A1/B1 A5/B5. i am no expert here but i think A5/B5 is a higher level of performance? does anyone knows this HTO-6? perhaps this is a "fuel effiencet" rather than "wear" type of test. if so maybe this make sense GC did not come out top
grin.gif

I would not use M1 xW-30 in turbo engines because of warnings from Mercedes:

"some oils which are not recommended:
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-30 SL/SJ/CF A1/B1/A5 9.7 doesn't meet 229.1 nor ACEA A2 or A3
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 SL/SJ/CF A1/B1/A5 9.8 doesn't meet 229.1 nor ACEA A2 or A3
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 10W-30 SL/SJ/CF A1/B1/A5 10.1 doesn't meet 229.1 nor ACEA A2 or A3
These 3 oils do not meet MB spec of > 3.5 cP for high temperature high shear strength."

xW-30 oils that meets ACEA A3/B3/B4 and MB 229.5 and available in USA:
Pennzoil European Formula Ultra 5W-30
Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30
Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30
Elf Excellium 0W-30

Source: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

Quote:

I would not use M1 xW-30 in turbo engines because of warnings from Mercedes:

"some oils which are not recommended:
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-30 SL/SJ/CF A1/B1/A5 9.7 doesn't meet 229.1 nor ACEA A2 or A3
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 SL/SJ/CF A1/B1/A5 9.8 doesn't meet 229.1 nor ACEA A2 or A3
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 10W-30 SL/SJ/CF A1/B1/A5 10.1 doesn't meet 229.1 nor ACEA A2 or A3
These 3 oils do not meet MB spec of > 3.5 cP for high temperature high shear strength."

xW-30 oils that meets ACEA A3/B3/B4 and MB 229.5 and available in USA:
Pennzoil European Formula Ultra 5W-30
Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30
Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30
Elf Excellium 0W-30

Source: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

First, those are old specs. Second, Mercedes requires oils that meet a particular HTHS value. That by itself is not an indicator of the overall quality of any particular formulation.

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I know in 9-5s, the issue with 30 weight M1 wasn't deposits (at 5k), it was oil pressure. Honda, I'm sure, was just trying to stay on the thin side of things.

Interesting... that said, our 2.0L ecotec derived engines dont hve any issue with pressure of 30wt oils... yet M1 5w-30 is in no way reccomended whatsoever for use in those engines. At the same time, the 9-3 is designed for up to 18k mile OCIs, but then again, acuras are likely specced for what? 10k mile OCIs with a filter change every other time? Not that different, in the big scheme of things, considering that most saabs only go 12-15k on their oil change interval.

Im not sure that Id use M1 in my 9-3 one way or another, due to its lack of an A3 rating, which in my owner's manual, is claimed to be accpetable if top-up is necessary and a non GM-LL-025-A oil is not available. Though M1 is good oil, and works great in certain (many) applications. leaving the value analysis out of it, if the GIII,IV,V mix is doing great per UOA, in whatever engine, then all is well... if compromises are made, then we must look elsewhere - this is the case for any oil.

For us, M1 isnt the right choice one way or another... but in, for example, our acura, regardless of the value formula, if UOAs keep looking good (as they do), we will keep using it there...

JMH

I''l put it this way, I don't know of anyone who ran the 5W30 for 5k intervals that had issues. Beyond that, in the 9-5, even an A3 rated oil can have issues if the PCV system isn't up to snuff. Someone in the last year posted a 7k interval with 15W50 M1 (ACEA A3 rated) and had some pretty out of wack insoluables. Now, whether you can blame that on the M1, though....

Saab's problem was they spec'd a 10k interval (5k severe) and 0-30/40 oils and initially spec'd API SH/SJ OR ACEA A3/B3. So, the ACEA rating wasn't a requirement....and people were running 10k intervals with semisynth SAAB oil in a car with a horrible PCV system....

Most folks I know who ran 5W30/10W30 Full synth M1 (back in the day) for decent intervals on the earlier 900s and 9000s weren't having any problems.

It wouldn't surprise me if other boutique brands are using a blend of Group III but still not stating it. I know that Synergyn, Shell and Elf use some Group III's in the mix. XOM is really doing nothing unusual here, but I think coming out and acknowledging that they use some "group III conventional base oils" in the mix would clear the air a bit. *However, there is no excuse whatsoever to act they way Mickey did towards one of the best members to ever join this board. That was a pathetic act and that only makes that individual look like a coward.
mad.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

At the same time, the 9-3 is designed for up to 18k mile OCIs, but then again, acuras are likely specced for what?

Honda goes by the OLM, and the maximum interval is 10k mi/1-yr. Most drivers average 5-7k between a service.

Quote:

Most folks I know who ran 5W30/10W30 Full synth M1 (back in the day) for decent intervals on the earlier 900s and 9000s weren't having any problems.

Yeah...that was back in the day. Who knows how well today's cheapened M1 would perform.

Quote:

It's an advertisement of a test performed by Honda. Take it for what it's worth.
BTW, the test was done by Honda not Mobil.

O.K. a "test" done by Honda with no scale on the "Performance Rating"(whatever that is) and after all of the doublespeak coming out of EOM lately I should believe this Mobil Interpretation of a Honda test? lol-not

Yeah, I'll just use Pennzoil's space age molecule oil then. Or manybe try Castrol's sludge protection GTX? LOL...give me a break.
laugh.gif
They all do the same thing...."Lets keep it real" here.

Last edited:
As far as 30 weight in the Saabs, Saab Synth is a 0w-30 A5 oil. Am I mistaken?

Last edited:
No, you're not. The 99-02 9-3s and 99-03 9-5s are the ones that do best on thicker oil. Pump design is showing itself to be a problem on those cars.

04 and up 9-5s and 03 and up 9-3s are a dream on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back