Mobil 1 filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they still a good filtering filter? Which would you choose between it and the Fram Extented Guard? Are the Pure Ones and K&N better choices?

Last edited:
I bet they are all of similar quality. I bet the Pure One is the best you can get for the cheapest.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
PureOne gets my vote every single time.

+1. I feel that PureOne filters are the best "bang for the buck" on the market.

After reading this thread I don't feel bad about switching from M1 to PureOne for my last filter. Why does everyone rate them so high? Is it the 99.9% efficiency statement, or because they are cheaper then the majority?

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
After reading this thread I don't feel bad about switching from M1 to PureOne for my last filter. Why does everyone rate them so high? Is it the 99.9% efficiency statement, or because they are cheaper then the majority?
I switched to the Mobil one for the synthetic media that will flow good with extended oil change intervals. How does the pure one flow when it gets over 10,000 miles? I know someone did a flow test on new filters but I would like to see the same test done on filters with say 10k or even 15k on them and also see how they are filtering with that many miles on them.

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
Excellent efficiency at a great price = VALUE! Sure M1 is a fine filter but 'generally' costs twice or more what a Pure One does. Plus, I like the texture for installation.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I feel that PureOne filters are the best "bang for the buck" on the market.
01.gif

I'd also add Motorcraft filters in the mix for great "bang for the buck" filters. Especially the popular FL-820S

M1 is best filter actually tested by bt anchors on this site. + it can take a few rock hits.

I think the K&N and mobile one are the same filter. look closely at both of them. same part numbering scheme, same look, same numbers stamped in to the filter, same steel tube inside,same weight etc. the mobile one filter is usually a few dollars cheaper

I personally dont care about cost. its cheap insurance to run good oil and a good filter and change it out before it needs it. $50 every three months thats only $200/year or $0.55 per day I use that much in gas just warming my truck up

Originally Posted By: disturban
I switched to the Mobil one for the synthetic media that will flow good with extended oil change intervals. How does the pure one flow when it gets over 10,000 miles? I know someone did a flow test on new filters but I would like to see the same test done on filters with say 10k or even 15k on them and also see how they are filtering with that many miles on them.

It all depends on how "dirty" the engine is. Any engine that is producing tons of crud will load up any filter on the market with extended miles on it. The PureONE is claimed on Purolator's website to have a large holding capacity, so it probably will take a 10K to 15K OCI easily on a newer engine that isn't full of sludge, etc.

Right. I think the K&N just has a nut welded on the end. M1 is about $10,K&N about $14.

Any filter loads (mostly) based on the fuel enrichment miles. Warmed up miles are mostly hollow. If you're doing shorter hops ..it makes less sense to use a high end filter. You're going to be changing the sump out soon enough. If you're going to stretch out the OCI ..because you can due to your daily or typical drive scenario, then a higher grade filter ..with finer filtration ..can work well. At least from a $$$/benefit basis.

My personal testing on a used PureOne that was in service for a 9500 M1 OCI from another member would probably have gone 15k or beyond ..with the qualification that the service itself was conducive to long drains. Don't mistake that for 15k UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.

PureOne is a great value in terms of filtration for the price.

I was just comparing efficiency ratings and found:

PureOne Oil filers ISO 4548-12 of 99.9 percent at 20 microns

Amsoil EaO Oil Filters ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns, and ISO 4548-12 of 70.0 percent at 7 microns

Checked the Mobil 1 site and they don't list any ratings with the ISO 4548-12.

This is what Mobil 1 says:

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters contain synthetic fibers instead of the typical cellulose filter media. With a 99.2 percent efficiency rating (under SAE J1858 Multi-Pass Efficiency Test)"

So, I'd be interested to know the micron rating of the Mobil 1 filter when it's "99.2 percent efficient"?

Also, I believe the Mobil 1 filters are a synthetic & paper filter media blend and not 100% synthetic, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back