Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was over at the Walmart, and 10W-30 Mobil 1 can be had with the EP designation, not the 15W-50. But in 2008 I ran the 15W-50 for 11,000 miles with no problems, in the very same Avalon.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I ran 15w-50 in the same car in the summer of 2008. I do not see why people flip out over it, as it works just fine & is often on sale. In the summer it is AOK around here.

Use it....but IMO... a 5-30 is all you need for better mileage and power. Why do you think you know more than the manufacturer?

But the manufacturer doesn't know OP's specific application .....
Manufacturer recommendation remains ...... a recommendation. Nothing more.

Originally Posted By: zeng

You're probably right. He's going to be driving his car on the highway. Totally unforeseeable situation from a design standpoint.

Originally Posted By: zeng

High speed driving in very hot, Western weather, over 100 degrees F. In 2008 I drove the same car with the heavy oil, and there was no issue seen, no mileage loss either.

Originally Posted By: vronline
Mobil 1 EP doesn't come in that grade.

It used to.
IIRC, the EP was even thicker than the regular M1 15W-50 and had some ridiculous HTHS number.
I bought a bunch on clearance and used some for a couple of summer runs in my '99 Accord 4 cyl VTEC. It made the engine noticeably slower to rev and cost a few tenths in fuel economy. It was also buttery smooth and quiet.
My old BMW was a much happier application for this oil and I used most of what remained of my stash of it in that car. The last quart went in one of the mowers where it seemed to work well.
Many are asking the OP why when the appropriate question might be why not.
This oil in this grade will do no harm under warm weather conditions and might do some good.

EP oil is excellent, one of the best oils I've ever used. With the 4Runner V8 out of extended warranty, I change the oil and filter once a year. 5W-30 with a current Fram Ultra filter.

In the very hot Southwest summer months to the very cold winters of Colorado mountains, the oil performs great. No problems at all. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back