Mobil 1 European formula 0 W 40 in a jeep 3.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My jeep 2006 liberty sport requires 5 W 30, and I use extended life mobil 1 and a napa gold filter every 6 months, which equals about 4-5000 miles with several short one mile drives. Of course my local walmart was out....So, how about the 0 W 40?
Thanks.

If you have a clean engine currently you could go 7,500 miles easy on the Extended life, probably 10,000 is more of a good run.
4-5,000 miles on a premium synthetic like that really is something of a waste. You can do that on inexpensive bulk oil and be fine for the life of the vehicle.

I'd rather do and extended drain on what you have and wait for the 5w30 to come back in stock than to go to a 40 weight.

I've run cars out to the full 15,000 miles on Extended life before, it was a 18 month OCI, but I had no issues.

I'd stick with the 30 weight synthetic. No real reason to go with a 40 weight that I can see.

Originally Posted By: hooperswish1
My jeep 2006 liberty sport requires 5 W 30, and I use extended life mobil 1 and a napa gold filter every 6 months, which equals about 4-5000 miles with several short one mile drives. Of course my local walmart was out....So, how about the 0 W 40?
Thanks.

Why are you using M1 Extended Life for only six months? Mobil recommends this oil up to 1 year or 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: zeuloa
Thanks.

Why are you using M1 Extended Life for only six months? Mobil recommends this oil up to 1 year or 15,000 miles.

Because it varies from application to application (car to car, driver to driver, i.e., driving style), you don't just take what they say at face value.

Any vehicle that specs 5w30 will be VERY well served with M1 0w40....without a doubt.

Use with confidence. Besides, 0w40 is really light 40 weight and typically shears a bit anyhow.

Originally Posted By: Trinh
Thanks.

Because it varies from application to application (car to car, driver to driver, i.e., driving style), you don't just take what they say at face value.

Why not? A year is not out of the ordinary and Mobil 1 has a solid guarantee to back it up I believe. For your low mileage and 6 month interval a good conventional (PYB, Mobil Super 5000 which has a guarantee) would probably hold up just fine.

I have some gm goodwrench breakin additive / E.O.S, comp cam additive. , and redline breakin additive. sitting around from old builds from years ago. I was thinking alittle of gm and comp and a bit more redline mixed it good oil. for the new predator 79cc.

ken

i will keep posted on breakin and stuff.

Thanks.

Why not? A year is not out of the ordinary and Mobil 1 has a solid guarantee to back it up I believe. For your low mileage and 6 month interval a good conventional (PYB, Mobil Super 5000 which has a guarantee) would probably hold up just fine.

For "friendly" engines such as Hondas, I would, but for others (without UOAs), I wouldn't. I would also like to avoid the legal hassle of getting Mobil to honor their guarantee. Let's say your engine has problems, it's not like they'll simply cut you a check.

Have YOU ran Mobil extended performance for an entire year?

The current QSUD 5W30 in my trail Jeep has been in for 2.5 years. No one here beats their vehicle like I beat mine. It spends ALL of it's time in low range either on the trail, or at home used as a tractor.

1 year service/5K miles in the OP's Jeep is a walk in the park for M1EP, IMO.

hooperswish1 said:

For "friendly" engines such as Hondas, I would, but for others (without UOAs), I wouldn't. I would also like to avoid the legal hassle of getting Mobil to honor their guarantee. Let's say your engine has problems, it's not like they'll simply cut you a check.

I have not as I get to the mile interval within a year, but I would have no problem running ANY synthetic for a year if mileage was low, nevertheless M1 Extended Performance.

Running M1 Extended Performance for 6 months in my opinion is overdoing it, and a bit of a waste of money. If it makes you feel better however than there is no price for that - nothing like driving while imagining how that great oil you just put in is cleaning and lubricating your engine!

Last edited:

I have not as I get to the mile interval within a year, but I would have no problem running ANY synthetic for a year if mileage was low, nevertheless M1 Extended Performance.

Running M1 Extended Performance for 6 months in my opinion is overdoing it, and a bit of a waste of money. If it makes you feel better however than there is no price for that - nothing like driving while imagining how that great oil you just put in is cleaning and lubricating your engine!

How much money are you truly saving? 25 dollars over the course of an entire year? If that's material to you, I suggest you take the bus to save even more money.

How much money are you truly saving? 25 dollars over the course of an entire year? If that's material to you, I suggest you take the bus to save even more money.

Let's see smart guy.... Perhaps that wasted money can be put to better use such as a donation to BITOG, which will assist to have more moderators in order to control forum tough guys (aka trolls) that contribute nothing and just fill empty space. Better yet, I'll be happy to provide you my bank account number where you can deposit $25 per year. Perhaps it'll help me for my bus fair...

I use 0-40w Mobil 1 in both 2011 Rubicon Jeeps. It runs smoother, no more ticking noise and ran great in 1999
Dodge Dakota R/T. 5,000 mile oil changes and I won't use anything else.

Martin
Mine-2011 Blk. JK Rubicon.
Hers- 2011 Slvr. JK Rubicon.

I went back to walmart today, and they had the extended mobil 1 5w30, so that is what I went with. Thanks for all of the responses. I also went with the new? fram premium filter for synthetic oils, which was a bit pricey at $8.99, but seems to be very solid and well made. I am sure regular mobil 1 oil would suffice for my oil change regimen, but the mobil 1 5 qt jug is $24.99, where as the extended is $26.99. So what the heck, for 2 bucks I will take the overkill. And if something happens and I am late changing, I can feel confident that I have the 15000 mile stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back