Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol (gold) EP

Additives sometimes change color and break down during use. You note that color is not a good indication and then argue that the color change means that the oil is doing a better job at cleaning, etc.
Some oils like Valvoline turn black early on because of the "quality" base oil they use. That's not the oil doing its job, that's the oil failing at it.

In a normally driven vehicle that's not short tripped the oil should slowly and steadily turn amber, then brown, then dark brown... eventually black if you let it go far enough or neglect to change it.

It's Mobil 1 Extended Performance, not Protection.

What separates Mobil 1 from the rest is that ExxonMobil is vertically integrated, so they use ANs, Esters, expensive Group III, PAO, and GTL in their formulations, amongst other things. If you want Group III with an add pack dissolved in Group I oil, then buy Valvoline, Castrol, or Pennzoil (this one is gonna be GTL + Group I + add pack dissolved in it).

Amongst the big brands, there is nothing else like Mobil 1.
Yep - combined names from EP & AP …
(AP In signature)

Last edited:
Some oils like Valvoline turn black early on because of the "quality" base oil they use. That's not the oil doing its job, that's the oil failing at it.

In a normally driven vehicle that's not short tripped the oil should slowly and steadily turn amber, then brown, then dark brown... eventually black if you let it go far enough or neglect to change it.
So I should not be using the Valvoline product that carries Volkswagen 504 00 approval?

just some observations of “old formula” Mobil1 EP 0W20 and new triple action Mobil1 EP 0W20...

I just ran the old formula for two back to back 10,000 mile runs, it didn’t use a drop of oil, and it returned an excellent UOA. I’m talking, out of this world, excellent.

I’m currently using the new formula on a 10,000 mile run, and I’ve started to notice a strange color out of it...started at 3,000 miles. It is seemingly turning a almost burgundy color. Checked it again at 4,000 miles, and it does look a little like tranny fluid. Not quite like it, but a little more like THAT than oil I’d normally see at 4,000 miles. Maybe it’s just at that point before oil starts to turn dark? Don’t know, but I don’t remember this happening in the old formula. Other than that, no problems so far...oil level hasn’t dropped, no unusual noises. The whole run has been in colder temperatures than the previous two runs (maybe that’s contributing to the color?), but otherwise everything seems good.

Me? I prefer Mobil but I’m leery of this triple Action formula that doesn’t contain the PAO . Which will lead to another way this will go...how dare I care, notice, or tell the difference between PAO, and base stocks achieving the same **** licensing, approvals, and certifications? I should walk a plank straight to hell. But what type of plank? Good plank, or bad plank? Can’t tell unless it’s been analyzed by a spectrograph.
'It still contains upwards of 30% PAO, just not the 70% it did before. I wish people would check their facts....

So I should not be using the Valvoline product that carries Volkswagen 504 00 approval?
I was talking about their lower tier API licensed synthetics. I never used XL-III, which I assume is what you're refering to, so I'll withhold judgement on that one.

You bring up an interesting and important point. I recall reading that the percentage of antifreeze to water in pre-mixed formulations is greater in Canada than in the US. One article I recently read mentioned that 70% figure.
Right you are Shel. Toyota pre-mixed is 55/45 in Canada, 50/50 in U.S.

Obviously with the Triple Action one! Duh! Although, the flashy gold color bottle has my attention too.

It is believed that the updated D1 / Gen 3 , SP formulation of M1 synthetic oils to be using superior base stocks than just about any other off the shelf synthetic oil available (i.e. Sopus , Valvoline or Castrol) .

Additives sometimes change color and break down during use. You note that color is not a good indication and then argue that the color change means that the oil is doing a better job at cleaning, etc.
Not exactly. I said color is not generally a good indicator, but there is room for argument that it might be and went on to suggest there's a lot more to it, variables, etc. IOW it's a data point. Not the definitive be-all-end-all indication. The thrust of my point is that it's not a reliably good indicator.

just some observations of “old formula” Mobil1 EP 0W20 and new triple action Mobil1 EP 0W20...

I just ran the old formula for two back to back 10,000 mile runs, it didn’t use a drop of oil, and it returned an excellent UOA. I’m talking, out of this world, excellent.

I’m currently using the new formula on a 10,000 mile run, and I’ve started to notice a strange color out of it...started at 3,000 miles. It is seemingly turning a almost burgundy color. Checked it again at 4,000 miles, and it does look a little like tranny fluid. Not quite like it, but a little more like THAT than oil I’d normally see at 4,000 miles. Maybe it’s just at that point before oil starts to turn dark? Don’t know, but I don’t remember this happening in the old formula. Other than that, no problems so far...oil level hasn’t dropped, no unusual noises. The whole run has been in colder temperatures than the previous two runs (maybe that’s contributing to the color?), but otherwise everything seems good.
Interesting observation. Who knows what has changed. Could be base oils, could be AO's etc. Have we seen a VOA/UOA of the Triple stuff yet? I have 6 quarts of it. Thought about sending a sample to B/S Labs then I realized it would be a waste of money.

Interesting observation. Who knows what has changed. Could be base oils, could be AO's etc. Have we seen a VOA/UOA of the Triple stuff yet? I have 6 quarts of it. Thought about sending a sample to B/S Labs then I realized it would be a waste of money.
I am running Mobil1 EP 0w20 in the wifes T-GDI "diluter" right now. I will be sending off my sample to Polaris soon.

Not the 0w20, but there is a VOA of the 5w30 Ep Triple Action that doesn't look that great. I am running it now in the 5.0. Link to VOA. It is the next to last one:

Mobil 1 EP 5w30 Triple Action VOA

What about it doesn’t look that great to you?
The 5.8 TBN and the add pack. In addition, according to Mobil documentation on their website, the PAO is all but gone as well. I expected more for a 20,000 mile oil. Now, as I said in that thread, I am hoping there are things that are not seen that make it as stellar as ever. I am running it right now, so far so good.

Back