Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol (gold) EP

My experience with Ester in air cooled motors showed me the proof needed to stay with them (Redline) for that application.
Ran cooler, better MPG, overall a perfect application for Ester.

Had a dealer drop in 20w50 bulk Dino when I asked for full syn. Driving back, the heat was higher and parasitic drag was noticeable enough that I called when home to claim I had wrong oil installed.

Turns out they did own up to this. Total profit taking...so I have always been careful to call out what oil I have requested if a 3rd party is managing the change.
The majority base in Redline is (has historically been) PAO. They do use a decent "slug" of ester base in the blend, but it isn't a majority ester-based lube like one might be inclined to think, based on their marketing material.

The majority base in Redline is (has historically been) PAO. They do use a decent "slug" of ester base in the blend, but it isn't a majority ester-based lube like one might be inclined to think, based on their marketing material.
I wonder what they replaced that majority PAO in their motor oil with. That 34.9% os oddly specific. :unsure:

1669478794933.jpg

RedLine D6 ATF took a huge PAO haircut as well:

1669479316867.jpg

I wonder if RedLine is quietly reformulating their High Performance lineup to incorporate Group III to make their parent company happy, as I seriously doubt they went with more Esters. I wonder what they gonna cut next, and how long before they catch up to Royal Purple. What do you think?

I wonder what they replaced that majority PAO in their motor oil with. That 34.9% os oddly specific. :unsure:

View attachment 128040

RedLine D6 ATF took a huge PAO haircut as well:

View attachment 128044

I wonder if RedLine is quietly reformulating their High Performance lineup to incorporate Group III to make their parent company happy, as I seriously doubt they went with more Esters. I wonder what they gonna cut next, and how long before they catch up to Royal Purple. What do you think?
I was thinking of you when I put that bit in brackets there (has historically been) 😁

That would be my hunch. Maybe just re-badged Philips 66 synth?
They're not using Group III in any of the products in their High performance lineup. I asked them today specifically this question. Considering that there FTIR analysis, and that their brand is on the line, I doubt they would lie about it. I received a clear answer without them beating around the bush or using marketing terms.

Come to think of it, high quality Group III base oils are expensive, so the savings might not be worth it, if any. They may have just switched their PAOs and they no longer want to report the non-hazardous ones on the SDS. 🤷‍♂️

It was interesting to speculate, not to mention that Chad got a kick out of it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not using Group III in any of the products in their High performance lineup. I asked them today specifically this question. Considering that there FTIR analysis, and that their brand is on the line, I doubt they would lie about it. I received a clear answer without them beating around the bush or using marketing terms.

Come to think of it, high quality Group III base oils are expensive, so the savings might not be worth it, if any. They may have just switched their PAOs and they no longer want to report the non-hazardous ones on the SDS. 🤷‍♂️

It was interesting to speculate, not to mention that Chad got a kick out of it. ;)
What did you ask and what was the answer verbatim?

Interestingly, it seems only to be the European SDS sheets that show the
Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 11.46.36 PM.jpg

Interestingly, it seems only to be the European SDS sheets that show the View attachment 128425
Yeah I know. Either they're blending a different formula for export, which I doubt they do, or they're dragging their feet updating the American English PDS. 🤷‍♂️

What did you ask and what was the answer verbatim?
I can do you one better: DM me and I'll give you the name and email of the person you can contact at Red Line and ask for yourself.

Yeah I know. Either they're blending a different formula for export, which I doubt they do, or they're dragging their feet updating the American English PDS. 🤷‍♂️

I can do you one better: DM me and I'll give you the name and email of the person you can contact at Red Line and ask for yourself.
Guess we'll see. It's also possible that the SDS is wrong, lol.

Guess we'll see. It's also possible that the SDS is wrong, lol.
Could be. 🤷‍♂️

They're purposefully written in a misleading way to protect their trade secrets.

My buddy Chad said he's not getting any, it's too expensive. He's sticking with Mobil 1.

1669723099483.jpg

1669723119205.jpg

Some changes I've noticed - Noack across the board has changed, HT/HS of the 0w30 has changed too.

I mean you could do that...or you could do away with the veil of secrecy and post the answer. :LOL::geek:

Could be. 🤷‍♂️

They're purposefully written in a misleading way to protect their trade secrets.
Deception is not the purpose, but if it does happen to protect trade secrets then it's an opportunity that will be taken. The purposefulness of an SDS is to inform firefighters and users of the materials of any safety hazards and how to respond to an emergency situation.

I mean you could do that...or you could do away with the veil of secrecy and post the answer. :LOL::geek:
I inquired about their D6 ATF. I was curious if it's compatible with Hyundai SP-IV-RR and Dexron HP. I also inquired if they use Group III base oil in their ATF or High Performance motor oils. I found his reply about the D6 ATF a little bit strange because Hyundai SP-IV-RR came out after Dexron HP, and it's more than likely based on it. I could be wrong. I believe they're not confident that GM transmissions calling for Dexron HP will not shudder using RedLine D6. It's silly and it's more than likely a lack of testing on RedLine's part. As @MolaKule stated previously, the shudder issue was cause due to the original black label Dexron HP fluid (Afton add-pack) being hygroscopic. At least his reply was honest, and I sure appreciate that. Especially since AMSOIL ATL uses the same DI package as RedLine D6, yet AMSOIL claims Dexron HP compatibility. More than likely AMSOIL did more testing to ensure that compatibility.

As for not using Group III base oils, I believe that as well. Here is the reply from Red Line:

1669733827760.jpg

Back