Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol (gold) EP

witch one of those two would you choose and why, do you think one is better than the other ?
Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 7.34.19 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 5.38.54 PM.jpg

Here, let me tell you how this is going to go....

Both oils carry identical licensing and approval, and this topic has been discussed a million times before. How dare you??

Me? I prefer Mobil but I’m leery of this triple Action formula that doesn’t contain the PAO . Which will lead to another way this will go...how dare I care, notice, or tell the difference between PAO, and base stocks achieving the same **** licensing, approvals, and certifications? I should walk a plank straight to hell. But what type of plank? Good plank, or bad plank? Can’t tell unless it’s been analyzed by a spectrograph.

I prefer Mobil but I’m leery of this triple Action formula that doesn’t contain the PAO
Yeah, I used a jug of the Triple Action before I read about the change and was disappointed that it didn't have PAO anymore. Now that Mobil 1 uses GTL, why not just use Pennzoil, which right now is six dollars cheaper at Walmart? Takes the shine off of M1 for me a bit, even though I still like them overall.

witch one of those two would you choose and why, do you think one is better than the other ?
View attachment 127766View attachment 127767

What is the application?

Yeah, I used a jug of the Triple Action before I read about the change and was disappointed that it didn't have PAO anymore.

It still has PAO in it. I can't stop, but wonder: how can you tell the performance of a given lubricant judging it by a vague and purposefully misleading (as in "protecting trade secrets") MSDS document? How would more PAO be better? Or less of it? I am not a lubricant formulator, nor do I understand much about formulation. How about you?

6.2 L gm truck engine
The Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 is the same oil as Castrol EDGE C5 0W-20 sold in Europe. It's a MB 229.71 additive package, meant to keep light duty small displacement Turbo Diesel, T-GDI, and GDI engines clean. It works well for large displacement GDI engines as well. For your application it would be the better oil.

While Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 is very good oil, you should compare Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 with Mobil 1 X2 0W-20. Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 will do well in your engine, however, for your application, I'd give Castrol the edge. If you were running it in a 5.7 HEMI, I'd say go for Mobil 1 EP 0W-20.

I hope this helps.

The Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 is the same oil as Castrol EDGE C5 0W-20 sold in Europe. It's a MB 229.71 additive package, meant to keep light duty small displacement Turbo Diesel, T-GDI, and GDI engines clean. It works well for large displacement GDI engines as well. For your application it would be the better oil.

While Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 is very good oil, you should compare Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 with Mobil 1 X2 0W-20. Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 will do well in your engine, however, for your application, I'd give Castrol the edge. If you were running it in a 5.7 HEMI, I'd say go for Mobil 1 EP 0W-20.

I hope this helps.
my engine is a direct injection , I to think that castrol will do better, tomorrow , Walmart here is come, I hope they have it in stock.

One oil is a 5W the other is a 0W, Both are extended life oils, are you going to run the oils for extended oil change intervals? The question should be which oil would produce less wear and or keep the engine cleaner . I am positive there are differences, they are both oils by quality oil companies . I doubt you will during the ownership of your vehicle all things equal not see any difference in engine life with either of those oils. Just because the oil is a long life oil doesn't mean it will protect the engine from wear better that an oil without the long life additives. I would go out on a limb and say the regular M1 or Quakerstate oil, would have less wear. What ever oil from the majors you chose will allow engine life beyond your ownership .

One oil is a 5W the other is a 0W, Both are extended life oils, are you going to run the oils for extended oil change intervals? The question should be which oil would produce less wear and or keep the engine cleaner . I am positive there are differences, they are both oils by quality oil companies . I doubt you will during the ownership of your vehicle all things equal not see any difference in engine life with either of those oils. Just because the oil is a long life oil doesn't mean it will protect the engine from wear better that an oil without the long life additives. I would go out on a limb and say the regular M1 or Quakerstate oil, would have less wear. What ever oil from the majors you chose will allow engine life beyond your ownership .
ignore the weight ,its just a picture to show the brand .

Back