Mobil 1 EP 5w30 20k...my new normal

I'd try it with M1 EP and a Fram XG, monitoring oil level pretty regularly, and getting a UOA. The UOA would tell me if I should ever try it again on the vehicle in question.
Our engines are GM DI turbo engines, I really don't want to push it. I look for deals on dexos jugs, wix filters and just don't chance it. Currently working my way through the RGT stash and after that some of the napa syn, then it's Costco Kirkland on sale for 11.50 a jug.

I figure better safe than sorry. Our engines don't burn any oil approaching 100k and I'd like to keep it that way.

Our engines are GM DI turbo engines, I really don't want to push it. I look for deals on dexos jugs, wix filters and just don't chance it. Currently working my way through the RGT stash and after that some of the napa syn, then it's Costco Kirkland on sale for 11.50 a jug.

I figure better safe than sorry. Our engines don't burn any oil approaching 100k and I'd like to keep it that way.
I get it and probably would drop back to 7-10k OCI even with a good UOA, but I'd do it once out of curiosity. ;)

I ran my 2009 Ford Focus 15K-22K OCI's. The 22K run was made with Rotella T6 15W-40 and it was used up. The other 3 were good with 15-17K miles. I plan on doing some 20K runs myself. My 2010 Scion specs 0W-20 but I can't bring myself to push such thin oil that far.........but I might. We shall see.

What oil filters are constructed to last for 20,000 miles?

Many if not most:

Remember in Europe both BMW and VW (as well as MB and many others) suggest extended but variable (condition based) intervals of up to 30,000 km/18,641 mls under ideal driving conditions what translates to ~25,000 km/15,534 mls on the OLM in real world most often.

My two cents...
I'm not a big believer in expensive oils so I would try a different [cheaper synthetic] oil this time to see if there is any difference. You could always sample the cheaper oil at 12,000 miles to make sure things are fine. Climate for the next 7 months maybe harder on the oil.
Generally your driving conditions are ideal for oil life.

Looking forward to seeing the UOA.

Im betting im fine on both vehicles. They are both EFI old school engines and get driven a lot
Well you may just be betting two engines on it. Do you know what your TBN is after 10K I'd be checking that number before I made 20K my new standard in OCI's! If its ok I'd be doing another one at 15K. Also take a look at the remaining viscosity!

I call this trust but verify!

Ok guys…hit 20,750 miles on the 2.7 w/ 5w30

I’m going to change it out tonight and refill w/ the same.

Truck only used a qt of oil in the run. Not bad!
Did you add the quart of oil along the way or are you saying that's what came out ?

I put a qt in at around 15,000 miles. It still shows full.

As to checking the TBN...ive run 0w40 at 10k since new and the TBN was always in the 3-4 range with no makeup oil. Im willing to bet im not betting 2 engines on it LOL

The 4 runner doesn't get driven as much...it only has about 4k on the oil so it has a long long way to go thankfully.

So if I’m understanding this right, you’re driving almost 40,000 miles a year in that Toyota Tacoma? How many miles are on it? Curious to see how that 5w30 Mobil1 EP is holding up (that is what I’m considering using for my next oil change). A 2016 Toyota Avalon

Its got just over 100k on it now. 35-40k a year is about right. It had been getting m1 0w40fs at a 10k OCI since the day i purchased it new but my walmart stoped stocking it...much to my chagrin

Its got just over 100k on it now. 35-40k a year is about right. It had been getting m1 0w40fs at a 10k OCI since the day i purchased it new but my walmart stoped stocking it...much to my chagrin
They stock M1 0W-40 FS here in Alaska, only in 12-quart boxes instead -- and lots of them. It's the only Mobil1 oil I'll consider running in my now older GM products. Otherwise, it's D1G2-rated Kirkland 5W-30, which does well in Alaska's cold weather.

Come to think of it, I do have Valvoline Advanced and QSFS 5W-30 on my shelves as well. My preference are the predominant 0W-40 oils though, either M1 or Castrol Edge. It was negative 20 something just the other day... and I like their HTHS.

Last edited:
Back