Mobil 1 EP 5w30 20k...my new normal

As mentioned before I had to change my screen name from Doublehaul for tech reasons beyond my scope but as many of you know ive run mobil 1 0w40 in my Tacoma and 4runner since new at a 10k oci and using Fram Ultras for 2 10k intervals.

Long story short went to wally world to grab a jug and they are no longer stocking it by me. In its place was the new FSx2 5w40. Spoke to a Mgr and he confirmed my store is no longer stocking the 5qt jugs of the 0w40. Knowing nothing about the 5w40 i made the decision to switch.

Supper happy to see that the EP product is now rated for a 20k oci! May be old news here but at last check only the AP product held that waiting was very expensive. The 5w30 EP 5 qt jug was around $25. I made the choice to switch from 0w40fs to the EP 5w30 in both vehicles. We drive a lot of miles and i feel pretty good about the 20k oci. I hate changing my oil with a passion...so this makes life much easier for me. As before ill continue to get UOAs at every change and post em up.

Long story short...M1 5w30 EP 20k OCI test in progress. Stand by for a UOA in doubt 6 months in the 2.7 and the 4.0 Toyotas.

Anyone else planning to take it the distance? Im betting Mobil wouldn't risk their reputation with the mileage claims.

Perhaps...but mobil doesn't guarantee it as such. I ran 0w40 in both vehicles since new at 10k OCIs and the UOAs (posted here) were always fine. Im hoping the same holds true for the EP. I hate changing oil...especially on the 4runner.

My thought is this...Mobil 1 has more brand equity than perhaps any other lube in the US. They would not risk their reputation by advertising 20k or 1 year OCIs if they couldn't back it up.

Im not going to lie...the Taco is lifted and runs big heavy tires and spins down the E way at 3200k RPM. The heavier 40wt gave me the warm fuzzies. I keep telling myself though thats it was just a thick 30 and the standard 30 (ep 5w30) will do just as well. I suppose UOAs will tell.

Perhaps...but mobil doesn't guarantee it as such. I ran 0w40 in both vehicles since new at 10k OCIs and the UOAs (posted here) were always fine. Im hoping the same holds true for the EP. I hate changing oil...especially on the 4runner.

My thought is this...Mobil 1 has more brand equity than perhaps any other lube in the US. They would not risk their reputation by advertising 20k or 1 year OCIs if they couldn't back it up.
they don’t advertise it as such because it’s not their flagship. resource conserving oil grades = more buyers

new life/0w40 used to be their darling oil until the late 2000s. actual manufacturers were and still are recommending 18.5 and 20k intervals with it.

Last edited:
As mentioned before I had to change my screen name from Doublehaul for tech reasons beyond my scope but as many of you know ive run mobil 1 0w40 in my Tacoma and 4runner since new at a 10k oci and using Fram Ultras for 2 10k intervals.

Long story short went to wally world to grab a jug and they are no longer stocking it by me. In its place was the new FSx2 5w40. Spoke to a Mgr and he confirmed my store is no longer stocking the 5qt jugs of the 0w40. Knowing nothing about the 5w40 i made the decision to switch.

Supper happy to see that the EP product is now rated for a 20k oci! May be old news here but at last check only the AP product held that waiting was very expensive. The 5w30 EP 5 qt jug was around $25. I made the choice to switch from 0w40fs to the EP 5w30 in both vehicles. We drive a lot of miles and i feel pretty good about the 20k oci. I hate changing my oil with a passion...so this makes life much easier for me. As before ill continue to get UOAs at every change and post em up.

Long story short...M1 5w30 EP 20k OCI test in progress. Stand by for a UOA in doubt 6 months in the 2.7 and the 4.0 Toyotas.

Anyone else planning to take it the distance? Im betting Mobil wouldn't risk their reputation with the mileage claims.
I like the EP but I'd never run it 20k in the Gamma GDI. With the amount of soot it produces it would probably turn to asphalt if I went that long. Only about 2500 miles on it so far and it's already coal black on the dipstick.

Your Toyotas should be just fine at 20k so long as you're not doing mainly short trips and drive at least 20k per year. Remember the bottle say up to 20k or 1 year, whichever comes first.

If you like the idea of slightly thicker oil you could get the EP high mileage, the 5w-30 has a KV100 of 11.8cst

they don’t advertise it as such because it’s not their flagship. resource conserving oil grades = more buyers

new life/0w40 used to be their darling oil until the late 2000s. actual manufacturers were and still are recommending 18.5 and 20k intervals with it.
You want to run it out to 20k intervals? Be my guest. I personally don't think it would hold up at all.

You want to run it out to 20k intervals? Be my guest. I personally don't think it would hold up at all.
sure. you’re approaching the limits but with non monkey driving i’d say it’s 100% doable. it should perform just as well as the original pre-visom majority pao version, and EP as well.

i’m going to run an 18.5k uoa on my beater as it comes up

sure. you’re approaching the limits but with non monkey driving i’d say it’s 100% doable. it should perform just as well as the original pre-visom majority pao version, and EP as well.

i’m going to run an 18.5k uoa on my beater as it comes up
Good to know, I'm a big fan of long drain oil change intervals.

Do you just reset your OLM and keep driving?

so im curious as to why castrol edge EP 20k never gets any love. is it worse than M1? is its tbn and tan worse than M1 with the same usage.
It's usually more expensive than Mobil 1 EP, Mobil1 does rebates and Castrol almost never does, and castrol seems to use all hydroprocessed crude while Mobil1 EP contains a good slug of PAO or in the case of the 0w20 it's pretty much entirely PAO as the main base oil. Mobil1 EP just feels like a more premium product, whereas Castrol Edge EP comes off more like Gold Bottled snake oil.

It's usually more expensive than Mobil 1 EP, Mobil1 does rebates and Castrol almost never does, and castrol seems to use all hydroprocessed crude while Mobil1 EP contains a good slug of PAO or in the case of the 0w20 it's pretty much entirely PAO as the main base oil. Mobil1 EP just feels like a more premium product, whereas Castrol Edge EP comes off more like Gold Bottled snake oil.
Yeah only the 5w-20 and 30 EP hardly has any pao but I've also been told that pao content doesn't matter and that m1 ep 0w-16/20 with majority pao vs 5w-20/30 with almost no pao will perform the same. Don't know if I can completely believe it although they're rated the same and promise to deliver the same performance.

Go 10K and UOA-that's what I did on my shear monster xB. It only has a 3.5 quart sump, so I've actually been doing 7500 on it, with 2 or 3 OCIs on an Ultra XG3600 (depending on dents/rust).

OCIs are largely determined by the type of driving, with other factors considered too of course. If the OP is doing a lot of highway miles, the chances are that their vehicles will do fine with the EP product and a good filter. I assume they have done their research and not running 20k intervals on a whim.

If I drove 20k+ miles a year, I'd absolutely do a 20k interval with a UOA to verify. But at the rate I drive, it'd take nearly 4 years! LOL.

Back