Mobil 1 5w40 Euro

If you compare these two posts the UPCs are identical, the FSX2 appears to have been made October 16th 2020(J being the 10th letter means October, right? unless there's a letter that's skipped?) the new FS was filled March 16th 2021, so the FSX2 appears to have been obseleted by the FS
image.jpg

Attached is the UPC for 0w40.

Never mind. I didn’t realize there was an FS and FSx2 both in 5w40.

When I saw FS and obsolete I had to go out and check my stash.

Last edited:
If you compare these two posts the UPCs are identical, the FSX2 appears to have been made October 16th 2020(J being the 10th letter means October, right? unless there's a letter that's skipped?) the new FS was filled March 16th 2021, so the FSX2 appears to have been obseleted by the FS
It appears you are correct. I sent both sets of photos in this thread (FS and FSX2) to Mobil. Here is what they came back with:

Mobil Help Desk Team Lead said:
Ok, the pictures explain a lot... We have a code we refer to as a yardmark on the rear label, telling us when and where we filled a container.

The label with code 11020J17A lists MB 229.3.
The label with code 11021C16A lists 229.5 & 229.3.

The 110 up front indicates both containers were filled at our Louisiana plant. Digits 4 & 5 give us a two digit year. Digit 6 uses a letter code to designate a month, while 7 & 8 provide the day of the month

11020J17A = September 17, 2020
11021C16A = March 16, 2021

I've seen no internal announcements indicating any sort of reformulation. It appears it took a little longer to get the MB 229.5 approval and apply it to the labels. The contents of the containers are identical aside from being born a few months apart.
It's still strange that they've chosen to name the newer batch "FS" when the older batch was named "FSX2".

It appears you are correct. I sent both sets of photos in this thread (FS and FSX2) to Mobil. Here is what they came back with:

It's still strange that they've chosen to name the newer batch "FS" when the older batch was named "FSX2".
So bottom line - my FSx2 5W40 meets the 229.5, formulation is same, just didn't have the approval yet. Makes sense as most of the 5W40 Euro oils have the 229.5.

My local Walmart has both versions. Take your pick! LOL

Y3pkO4n.jpg
Mine too. I was buying oil today as I am doing major update on suspension and decided to replace oil pan too. Didn’t want to got M1. They still don’t have PDS, or at least I could not find it for 5W40 FS.
M1 was always really good with these stuff. I seriously don’t understand this.

My local Walmart has both versions. Take your pick! LOL

Y3pkO4n.jpg
Hi Quattro Pete,
I am really pleased to see that one of the first BITOGER's is stilll active. I was always enjoyed your posts. Thank you a lot. The only Mobil1 FS 5W-40 which has MB 229.5 approval is FS 5W-40: https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html If to be based on relatively cheap VOA which is unable to exhibit all details, the FS X1 5W-40 was more or less idendical by DI package to FS, but differed by base oils composition. The FS X2 is quite similar to FS by both, base oils and DI package. However, there were rumors that X2 contains zirconium based friction modifier and we cannot see it on VOA. This new modifier may be the cause why FS X2 does not have yet MB 229.5 approval. Actual FS 5W-40 sold in EU has NOACK about 8%, so it meets MB 229. 5 requirement. I am sure that despite different viscosimetrics FS X1 5W-40 should have NOACK below 10%. So, we need to search for the reason somewhere else.

Now seeing "FS" at Wally this weekend vs. the older "FSx2" packaging for what I have bought earlier this year. Did anyone get to the bottom of the difference? Still not LL-01.

Don't know why a major wouldn't get a Euro 5w40 approved for LL-01 unless it just won't pass. :unsure:
I think they may have changed the standard. There was a big discussion a while ago about how Mobil 1 0w40 used have LL-01 but then lost it. Castrol 0w40 had it for a while but then they too lost it. For my purposes, I only need MB 229.5 so I'm just going to stick to Mobil 1 0w40/Castrol 0w40.

I think they may have changed the standard. There was a big discussion a while ago about how Mobil 1 0w40 used have LL-01 but then lost it. Castrol 0w40 had it for a while but then they too lost it. For my purposes, I only need MB 229.5 so I'm just going to stick to Mobil 1 0w40/Castrol 0w40.
It's true that the LL-01 spec was updated somewhere around 2018/2019 time frame. Somehow all 0W-XX oils became ineligible which is why M1 0W-40 and Castrol 0W-40 or 0W-30 don't carry this BMW spec anymore.

But it still does not explain why M1 5W-40 doesn't carry it.

Exactly, Castrol 5w40 has it and so does Quaker State/ Pennzoil Euro 5w40, Valvoline 5w40 also not exactly exotic stuff.

It's true that the LL-01 spec was updated somewhere around 2018/2019 time frame. Somehow all 0W-XX oils became ineligible which is why M1 0W-40 and Castrol 0W-40 or 0W-30 don't carry this BMW spec anymore.

But it still does not explain why M1 5W-40 doesn't carry it.
I don't believe any Mobil oil carries BMW's spec, the ESP 5W30 carries MB 229.52 but not LL-04 which seems unusual to me, I guess either Mobil doesn't find it important enough to pay to carry the BMW approval or there's some sort of rift between Mobil and BMW.

Back