Mobil 1 5w40 Euro

TBN is sky high no doubt due to the very high calcium. The Valvoline pic posted is of MST which has been discontinued, but the current Valvoline Euro 5w40 is also the same spec wise.

Heard a conversation between a couple older guys at WalMart. I did not engage, as they seemed to be pretty set in their ways to hear anything I'd have to say. Judging by their conversations they both had some post-2010ish BMW cars. Their verbal exchange:
- I always used Mobil 0W40 in mine since new, because forums say it's the best, but I see they got a 5W40 now too. I may try that this go around.
- No, no, no, stick to 0W40. 0W40 is for gas engines, 5W40 is for diesels. (goes over to Castrol section) See these here? (points to Castrol Edge 0W40 and 5W40) Same thing - 0W40 is for gas engines and 5W40 is for diesels.
- Oh ok, definitely don't want to ruin my engine. I'll get Mobil1 though. Castrol crap causes sludge.

So maybe most non-BITOGers have a similar understanding as these two fellas? And because of that oil manufacturers give two "Euro" grades to cover all the market and not lose brand loyalists due to not having a certain grade?

Last edited:
I just think so many are concerned about the 0W portion of this that the 5W40 is like a safety blanket. "VW dealer always used 5W40 so clearly that's what I should use." or "0W is like water bro, don't use it in your tuned engine"

I just think so many are concerned about the 0W portion of this that the 5W40 is like a safety blanket. "VW dealer always used 5W40 so clearly that's what I should use." or "0W is like water bro, don't use it in your tuned engine"
I don't get that logic, are they unaware 0w40 Mobil1 was the factory fill on many Porsches and Mercedes-AMG cars

I don't get that logic, are they unaware 0w40 Mobil1 was the factory fill on many Porsches and Mercedes-AMG cars
No idea and yeah, I don't get it either but that is a common concern on the VW FB groups I frequent. I have 0W40 M1 in my Sportwagen right now.

Why not. Next change. Got the rebate.
20210402_141926.jpg

I might do it too. HTHS is really good so suitable for track. I have in line Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, then Motul 300V, so maybe after that.

Meh, dealer bulk oil in a jug. The new QS and long standing Castrol have more approvals, it's not like Mobil can't afford approvals this is unremarkable (but perfectly serviceable) oil. Better 5w40s for less inches away.

It is thick though.

No reason not to try it. Sometimes it's fun to change things up.

That said, if I were going to run a 5W-40 I'd go with the new 229.5 approved Castrol. I've always preferred Castrol over Mobil 1, but that's me.

Not throwing stones, TiGeo.

Scott

PS I have one more oil change in stock of Pennzoil 5W-40. Been running it in the E90. Nothing wrong with it but I will not continue to use it. Their website always seems to be in a state of flux. That shapes my opinion to a degree.

That said, if I were going to run a 5W-40 I'd go with the new 229.5 approved Castrol. I've always preferred Castrol over Mobil 1, but that's me.

Scott

PS I have one more oil change in stock of Pennzoil 5W-40. Been running it in the E90. Nothing wrong with it but I will not continue to use it. Their website always seems to be in a state of flux. That shapes my opinion to a degree.
I ran Liquimoly products for the last 2 years so was fun to just change it up.

Scott

Agree about Pennzoil inconsistency.
I appreciate Mobil1 being transparent on performance numbers.

Agree about Pennzoil inconsistency.
I appreciate Mobil1 being transparent on performance numbers.
Same here. Pennzoil Technical data sheets are all over the place and have typos which has been proven here.

Pennzoil doesn’t even list HTHS for any of their oils in their website not even for the Euro specs, something M1 does. Oh well, never had a issue with PP but I’m headed to M1 for my passenger cars. Maybe I’ll try ESP for the Z since redline is hella expensive.

Castrol is cool too but after they pulled their 0w40 here in most GTA CT locations, they can go suck a lemon too. I don’t want to use their 5w40 euro spec.

I have used this one since late 1990's in all my new cars. The name & formulation has no doubt tweaked over this period but great product specially in cold weather.
Improved my mpg by 5~10% (important over here!)

Attachments

• 1617428692995.jpg
    1617428692995.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 109
@edyvw
It's now at the Walmart near me. For whatever it's worth, they don't have the 0W-40 FS at present. I asked the employee about it and he said they hadn't received the 0W-40 in over a month but he isn't sure if this is a replacement move or addition to the M1 line of oils they'll sell. They also stopped selling the EDGE 0w40 and 5w40. The only xw40 I see is this one and QS.
20210405_090513.jpg

Who knows. IMO, Mobil1 will not just like that drop MB229.5 offerings.
Though they have listed Mobil1 ESP 0W40 X3 on web site, so maybe that is the replacement?
M1 0W40 is in plenty of supply here at least and M1 webs ite still list it, in same package design as this one.

Back