Mobil 1 5W30 getting dark so fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Cadillac CTS-V with the manual trans (GM LSA Engine) that has 4,000 miles on it currently. At 1,754 miles on the engine, I drained the factory fill AC Delco Synthetic Blend and removed the GM factory blue PF48 filter and filled the crankcase with Mobil 1 5W30 and I installed an Amsoil EA15K50 oil filter. When I drained the factory oil, it was blacker than tar!

I noticed that the oil got dark very quickly and continues to get darker and darker every time I check the level which is every other day due to the consumption issues I have been experiencing. I want to make sure the oil level is always full and I top off when necessary with the same Mobil 1 5W30. Is the getting black just because the engine was new when I changed the oil and the engine is breaking in and causing the color of the oil to get dark so fast or is this just a characteristic of the GM LSA engine? Is it the oil and filter I am using? I have a little over 2,000 miles on the oil and I can't believe it is so dark already. Is it due to how hard I have been driving it?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I experience the same thing with my wife's 97 Honda Civic using Mobil 1 5W-30. Other members have noticed the same thing as you.

I wouldn't get too worried about it. Next time get a UOA.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
I was planning on sending off a sample after a 5K interval to Blackstone to see how well the engine is breaking in. It should be fully broken in by 5K total miles on the engine. I used to always run Amsoil 0W30 signature series oil and Amsoil EA oil filters on my previous CTS-Vs and that oil got dark quickly as well. Maybe it's the way the LSA engine is. I guess changing it every 4K-5K miles will only help keep fresh oil in the engine.

Lots of friction in a new engine. Why send in an oil sample, what is there to see. But then it is your money.

There is not much reason to do a UOA on an engine that is breaking in. You will see break in noise in the form of elevated iron, copper, silicon and maybe others. The point of a UOA is to extend oil change interval or spot contaimnation, and since you are using Amsoil SS and running normal intervals, your money won't get you much here.

I would wait for at least 4 oil changes before i UOA'd to see the numbers start to form a trend, otherwise your going to be sky high and fall back to normal then form a trend.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I was planning on sending off a sample after a 5K interval to Blackstone to see how well the engine is breaking in. It should be fully broken in by 5K total miles on the engine. I used to always run Amsoil 0W30 signature series oil and Amsoil EA oil filters on my previous CTS-Vs and that oil got dark quickly as well. Maybe it's the way the LSA engine is. I guess changing it every 4K-5K miles will only help keep fresh oil in the engine.

I don't think it will be broken it hardly at all with 5000 on it. I've seen gms with 80000 and still shedding material.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There is not much reason to do a UOA on an engine that is breaking in. You will see break in noise in the form of elevated iron, copper, silicon and maybe others. The point of a UOA is to extend oil change interval or spot contaimnation, and since you are using Amsoil SS and running normal intervals, your money won't get you much here.

I would wait for at least 4 oil changes before i UOA'd to see the numbers start to form a trend, otherwise your going to be sky high and fall back to normal then form a trend.

Currently running Mobil 1, not Amsoil SS oil. I am running the Amsoil oil filter.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I don't think it will be broken it hardly at all with 5000 on it. I've seen gms with 80000 and still shedding material.

That's because they're reaching the end of their lifespan.

smile.gif

Same happened with me in the 10 Armada in my sig. I run it 7500 OCI now and its about 90k. Only has seen M1 5-30. My UOA's are stellar and sooooo boring. Last one at 83k Blackstone was making their comments as usual....started with 300k is bla bla bla.

Stick with it.....great oil. Get a UOA down the road and settle into a comfort zone for you and your car.

I say its early, and on the 1st fill after the factory fill, I wouldn't worry. Wait and see how it goes after a few more or so OCIs. Also being first OC, probably started out with some factory fill residue too. Engine has to few miles to worry at this point.

BISCUT,

Mobil 1 is one of the best synthetics on the market. I don't know why so many are against it. I will keep running it and hope that the oil color will stabilize after a couple more oil changes.

901Memphis,

I was planning on maybe doing 3K mile oil change intervals for the first 2-3 oil changes to get all the break in materials out of the crankcase eventually going to 5K max intervals. The LSA runs very hot and I run the engine hard. Having fresh oil and a new oil filter more often will help keep the LSA running it's best while being protected.

I've run nothing but Mobil 1 5w30 in my 2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo and it does darken quickly.
I had a UOA done on the last fill and it had good numbers and plenty of life left at 6600 miles.

Assembly lubes are used abundantly,in new engines and they are typically rich in molybdenum. When the engines are run the assembly lubes mix with the engine oil, turning it dark and glittery almost immediately. This is almost certainly what you saw with the drain of the factory fill. And as there is always a good amount of residual oil in an engine even when drained, this is likely what you are seeing in the fresh Mobil1, too. So, nothing to worry about.

pbm,

What oil filter are you running?

Danh,

Thanks and thanks to everyone else on here who is such a great wealth of information.

..I am currently on my 33rd new GM vehicle that came equipped with an LSx V8 engine..

So how did your others fare in the dark oil phenomenon?

Originally Posted By: splinter
..I am currently on my 33rd new GM vehicle that came equipped with an LSx V8 engine..

So how did your others fare in the dark oil phenomenon?

I never really checked the others as much as I do with this engine because of the oil consumption I was experiencing. I check the dipstick on this car everyday it seems to make sure the engine doesn't run low on oil. That's how I really noticed that the oil went from a very light gold to a very dark tan color quickly. When I wipe the oil off the dipstick, the towel is black. I may change this oil out at the 3K mile mark and then eventually go to 5K miles once the engine breaks in more and doesn't make the oil so dark so fast. I stocked up on a bunch of Amsoil and Fram Ultra oil filters, so I can change it more often if the need arises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back