Engine is new, consuming oil, which oil is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Vikas
He probably trades them in every 4 months! I see 3 vehicles per year in that log, although this and last year our OP's finances must not have been that good as he had to slum with only one new vehicle for those two years. Sure sign of the recession!

That's a customer worthy of rolling out the red carpet for every time he walks into the new car showroom. A trade and a new car that often, that's big money for the dealer!

Trust me, they do! I go to the same Cadillac dealer for all my purchases, so they know.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Why even worry about oil consumption? Just trade it in on a new model next year like your list shows.

I always lease and do short term leases which allow me to get in and out of cars often, but I love the V Coupe so much and since this is the last year of the V Coupe, I can't lease another new one after this, so I may keep this one for 2-3 years.

Then let it burn that oil!

Originally Posted By: jayg
Why even worry about oil consumption? Just trade it in on a new model next year like your list shows.

I always lease and do short term leases which allow me to get in and out of cars often, but I love the V Coupe so much and since this is the last year of the V Coupe, I can't lease another new one after this, so I may keep this one for 2-3 years.

Then let it burn that oil!

I am, but according to GM they strongly advise checking the oil level frequently and making sure the level is full. If I neglect the car and something happens, they will void the warranty due to owner abuse and neglect and I am stuck without a car. I have seen it happen a few times to fellow forum vehicle owners and I have no patience to fight them in the courts. I still want to take care of the new car I just got less than 3 months ago.

Give it some miles to settle in, although you should see results by 5K or so.
I doubt that you hurt anything with what you describe to be a hard break-in. Many builders actually recommend this.
If the engine continues to swill oil, the best oil would be the one that takes you to the dealer to insist that they warranty the problem.
When they refuse, that very same best oil can take you to your lawyer's office for a consultation.
A stern phone call from a real lawyer might be all it takes to get the dealer to get GM to step up and fix the problem under warranty.
This is not acceptable consumption in my book and it can only get worse over the years and miles.
Isn't CA a Lemon Law state?
Another arrow in your quiver.
Keep taking it back and then make them buy it back.

Sorry, I find it strains the boundaries of credibility to say that a quart every thou is "Normal". And I'm less impressed by your track record with these engines than I am with your style of driving. You're doing something wrong, then, I'd suggest you lighten up just for a while and see if the consumption lowers/stops. Blowing that much oil that frequently cannot be good for the engine.

Let the dealer know, and I have read (don't quote me) that sometimes engines need to be run hard for a little.

Quote:
Trust me, she is well broken in by now. Since day one (May 23, 2014) with 5 miles on the clock right off the showroom floor, it was pedal to the metal. The engine seems to feel a lot looser now at 2,300 miles over when it did at 5 miles. The way I am driving it combined with the fact that it's a manual transmission that runs at higher RPMs may be the main problem.

Although there are anecdotal recommendations to do this, that is not what an engine needs to seat the rings.

You may disagree, but I's say that is the cause. Now you live with the effect.

I haven't had a GM vehicle since 1992, but the 10 Oldsmobiles I had between 78 and 92 never consumed any oil. They were replaced as company policy every 45,000 miles.

Let the dealer know about it so that it's documented, but keep topping up and keep an eye on it. I bet the consumption will go down on it's own shortly.

I'm going to get flamed for saying this. But this wouldn't be the first time that I've heard of someone switching oils (especially to M1) and seeing consumption. I know my car did it when I switched to M1. It took a few thousand miles to go away, but once it did it never returned.

Keep driving, hopefully sometime between now and the 10K mile mark the consumption will improve. You might just have an engine that uses more oil than you'd like, it happens.

Bringing it back to the dealer will probably get you, the "oh that's considered normal" blanket statement.
In other words, the dealer will lie their butts off to avoid dealing with the problem and a quart every 1000 miles is a HUGE problem.

I had one engine (and only 1 engine) that increased oil consumption with M1. but it certainly did. I've had good luck with the oil penz ultra (very low NOACK) and also amsoil. I wouldnt be thrilled with 1 quart per 1k miles - but I doubt that I would want anyone to replace the engine over it.

I agree... it just sounds like a brag post to me.

Cmon C7!
smile.gif

Last edited:

Trust me, they do! I go to the same Cadillac dealer for all my purchases, so they know.

So they treat you like royalty when you buy cars from them, but won't start a simple log for oil consumption simply because you're at the borderline of GMs spec? Inform them politely the this is the last time you do business with them, send a letter to corporate and I bet they will move their behinds to help you. Otherwise they are probably thinking that you will lease another brand new toy from them anyway, so why bother?

In any case, no oil will help with this kind of consumption. Low NOAK or not, it is simply irrelevant at this point. The oil would have to be boiling all the time to loose so much of it to evaporation, and you would be draining tar afterwards. The problem is somewhere in the engine.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
He probably trades them in every 4 months! I see 3 vehicles per year in that log, although this and last year our OP's finances must not have been that good as he had to slum with only one new vehicle for those two years. Sure sign of the recession!

That's a customer worthy of rolling out the red carpet for every time he walks into the new car showroom. A trade and a new car that often, that's big money for the dealer!

Then I'd raise [censored], and that would be the last car I bought from them if I wasn't happy with the outcome.

Raise [censored] with GM and the dealer.

or

Fill it with 5w-40 and look for a decrease in consumption.

or

Do nothing and hope for improvement.

There's not much else that we can do to help you out. If you're unwilling to force this dealer to examine the issue, then do nothing and maybe it'll get better, or maybe not. If it's just a lease and you're going to turn it in, then don't worry about it at all.

Just wanted to show that the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum according to the testing didn't do all that great considering what they are advertising.

Except that SOPUS designs its products to pass API, ILSAC, ACEA, and manufacturers' tests, not those of some backyard buffoon.

As for the consumption, document it, as has been suggested, but a little patience may be in order yet, too. Nonetheless, I'd be concerned if I were you, too.

Geez can we wait at least 5-10K before we lose our minds?
GM4LIFE, stop it with the high RPM, high-vacuum (low load) driving and keep the engine producing TORQUE. That means that, unless you drive on a track or perpetually climb 30% grades, upshifting, bringing the RPMs down and turning the per-stroke pressure on the pistons up. High RPMs are fine but only near maximum load otherwise you'll keep drinking oil with the new unseated rings and not help further ring seating if you cruise @ high RPM & light loads

Originally Posted By: Noey
Sorry, I find it strains the boundaries of credibility to say that a quart every thou is "Normal". And I'm less impressed by your track record with these engines than I am with your style of driving. You're doing something wrong, then, I'd suggest you lighten up just for a while and see if the consumption lowers/stops. Blowing that much oil that frequently cannot be good for the engine.

Less impressed by my track record with these engines? Don't know what that means and why you would say that, but ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back