Mobil 1 turning dark at 600 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
OUCH! BUT WORTH IT

LOL.gif
wink.gif

I figure the additive package with the maxlife full syn, and the blessing of valvoline to use it in a new vehicle, why not?

Hey Bill,

I am replying to ur message which says, "Now, If I can get the oil on sale (like QS syn for $8 for 5 quarts or Mobil 1 which WAS $5 for 5 quarts after the rebate) then I'll buy it."

Is this lower in cost to what u normally pay for YB?

what gets me is bill wants us to respect the fact he uses pennz yb dino oil. But we are wasting our money on synthetic.

Fact Synthetic flows better in winter

Fact Synthetic handles heat better

Fact. Synthetic can go longer on drains

Now, if I did use dino oil and I have nothing against it, I would drain every 3000 miles. I go 5000 plus on synthetic. My choice. My money.

I have UOA's that show Synthetic has lower metal numbers than dino in the same engine during the same amount of miles... I have to dig them out of my office that I'm painting and promised to post them here for all to see.

My engine makes much less noise in the winter and shows lower metals on the UOA's with synthetic so IMO it works for be better than Dino.

I think the dino would get me great life from my car, but I want the most and Syn IMO, IMA works better.

wink.gif

I use syn because of our cold winters, and the flexibility to change my oil when it's convenient for me. I can change it at 5, 6 ... 10k. Lots of buffer to fit into my life. No one wants to do an oil change in -30 degree weather. The price difference is irrelevant when I factor in less frequent oil changes, and hence less oil filters over the life of the car.

Anyway, this thread is about M1 turning dark not another dino vs syn thread. Use what you like people, you don't need to justify your decisions to anyone but yourself
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
what gets me is bill wants us to respect the fact he uses pennz yb dino oil. But we are wasting our money on synthetic.

Fact Synthetic flows better in winter

Fact Synthetic handles heat better

Fact. Synthetic can go longer on drains

Now, if I did use dino oil and I have nothing against it, I would drain every 3000 miles. I go 5000 plus on synthetic. My choice. My money.

I agree well said toyotaguy.
thumbsup2.gif

yep. I travel 75 miles a day round trip for work. I can rack up miles quickly. So synthetic is a better choice for me. ok. Im done

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have UOA's that show Synthetic has lower metal numbers than dino in the same engine during the same amount of miles... I have to dig them out of my office that I'm painting and promised to post them here for all to see.

My engine makes much less noise in the winter and shows lower metals on the UOA's with synthetic so IMO it works for be better than Dino.

I think the dino would get me great life from my car, but I want the most and Syn IMO, IMA works better.

wink.gif

Every BMW UOA I've seen here tells me that synth is the way to go. Then there's the fact that what I use is mfg approved. shhhhh.

Bill thinks all the manufacturers are lying to us and that dino is equal to syn oil. I disagree. While dino oil works very well and for most people will work fine many people want better than that. They want top performance, protection, efficency etc. If we are willing to pay a little more for it who cares.

**I told Bill to sue all those lying oil manufacturers and do a class action suit......
11.gif

Last edited:
Bill is a good guy, and has a point... I don't know all the conversations he might have had with everyone, but Dino these days is almost as good as SYN in my opinion for 90% of the cars out there.

With the exception of cars that require SYN due to severe operating temperatures both hot or cold or people who want to run extended drain intervals there is no doubt SYN holds up better under these conditions and worth the extra cost.

I'm with Bill when he says use Dino and don't waste your money unless you really need to. (remember that a good majority of the cars out there run on whatever bulk oil the OC place uses and most people push their oil much longer than they should and these engines still live to see 200-300K KM (120-180K miles) without issue!)

I could get away with running Dino in the winter up here, and my engine would last a very long time, but not as long as I would like to see it run because I'm a junkie and choose to run SYN to squeeze as much engine life out of my engine with the least amount of wear possible in my climate/driving conditons.

I have UOA's to prove this and the horrific noise I hear for 5-10 minutes on very cold starts using dino that I don't have with synthetic but they aren't terrible just show slightly more wear metals than SYN.

The ones for my SYN runs in the winter show below average wear, and the ones with DINO show average-slightly higher than average wear. WOOPIE DOO!
grin2.gif

90% of people will not experience this unique situation or the situation where SYN is absolutely required. Nor do 99.9% of the people out there really care about their oil so Bill is right IMO.

I support his views, but choose to run SYN because of my application/climate and because I don't pay for it. It's covered through my works mileage allowance.
grin2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I would say everyone is right in what they choose. If it makes someone feel better to use synthetics, then so be it. I can waste my money on more things besides motor oil. Like starbucks coffee. Like eating out all the time. and so on and so on. The synthetic oil purchase is just a minor expense to what I can purchase. Like I said, I would rather cut back on something else like eating out or that expensive coffee. Now that is a waste. My vehicle is not

Everyone can spend money on whatever they want... It's about whether or not it's needed or worth it...

This is just a place for discussion. Everyone has an opinion and no one is more right than another.

At the end of the day if you sleep better, feel better, or just want to spend the money on Syn when it's not "technically" needed so be it.

No one is more right/wrong... We are all friends discussing oil passionately on this great forum and we should never loose site of that.

FWIW: In my next vehicle I will most likely still run SYN, and not because I live in Canada and have harsh winters or because I think I need it, but because I like the way my current car runs/feels and that's enough for me! (Also because I'm not barring the cost, my employer is)
grin2.gif

cheers3.gif

I agree toyotaguy. Everyone wastes money on something in someone elses eye. That is what keeps the economy going. Whether you chose a .99 cent cup of coffee or a 3.00 cup, a 15.00 steak dinner or a 30.00 steak dinner.

Whether you run the cheapest store brand oil and filter or a high performance Syn oil and super filter who should really care as long as you are happy with it? If it makes you happy and that is how you want to spend your money than do it.

I do find it funny that people get excited out of spending an extra $10-15.00 on syn oil every 4-6 months when they would easily spend that on something else in 1 day or every week. But then again...each of us choose what is important to us.

the next time i go on a plane trip with bill ill be flying in business class....ill be thinking of bill in coach...and think to myself..."i wonder how bill's doing over there in coach. i do have an empty seat here next to me. should i tell him? nah..he wont come sit here with me anyways. im sure he is "adequate" where he is now.

bill says to himself, "gosh that MBCLK is really an idiot...he falls for all that "marketing" and buys a business class seat. as long as i get to my destination. that is all that matters"

gotta rib u a little there bill!

StevieC, ZZMan, thank you for your gracious and graceful comments. They seem to be a good endpoint to a thread that has wandered far, far afield from the original question -- the darkening of a fill of M1 in a seemingly short time. I'll go with what I see as the consensus here -- that the color of an oil, at any point in its life, tells you very little about what shape it's in.

Remember that great kids book "Goodnight Moon" -- how 'bout this -- Goodnight thread that's best left for dead. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back