Mobil 1 5w-30 NOACK 11-13%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Question:
Oil for a Mazda Direct Injection Engine
Hello, I have a Mazda direct injection engine and I am trying to find one oil with low NOACK viscosity ratings. I am unable to find this information on the Mobil 1 5W-30 Product Data Sheet. Can you help me with that? Thank you
-- Stefan Stoian, Buffalo Grove, IL
Answer:
Typical Mobil 1 5W-30, NOACK viscosity is 11-13%.

Quote:
Straight Answer to Whether Mobil 1 is an Ester Oil
"Many synthetic oils, including Mobil 1, contain a variety of synthetic fluids, and usually this includes esters"....you did not answer the question! As a new INFINITI G37 sport owner (NISSAN) we want to know, IS MOBIL ONE AN ESTER OR ESTER BASED OIL? yes or no, not "may contain" or "usually includes" esters. We don't want to pay $12 a quart for Nissan ester 5w-30 so please answer the question.....yes it does, or no it does not.
-- Tim Youso, Lake Havasu City, AZ
Answer:
Mobil 1 contains Ester.

Kudos to the guy asking about whether Mobil 1 contains an ester. haaa think he was mad? I'm impressed they answered these questions. It's not like it would do them any harm considering most companies publish this information.

From this, it's probably safe to assume Mobil 1 5w30 is significant Grp III, and contains an ester/PAO etc.. Great oil despite the higher NOACK, although "some" consumption related issues with this particular oil could be a result of that.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
You are buying an oil, not a formula. Ester oils seem to be $$ so $12 isn't that unreasonable.

Yep.

According to Amsoil M1 5-30 noack is 9.17.

{Non-board sponsor link removed}

Last edited by a moderator:
Castrol use too be the biggest deceiver in engine oils ...that title now belongs too Mobil without a doubt.

Originally Posted By: zddp77
Castrol use too be the biggest deceiver in engine oils ...that title now belongs too Mobil without a doubt.

Besides opinion, please explain.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I think zddp77 is referring to Mobil's usually vague responses sidestepping the question of base stock composition.

While I believe you should be concerned about the overall formulation of any oil your purchacing, getting a answer from Mobil basically telling us not to concern ourselves with such trivial matters such as base stock is a real turn off. It would be similar to a orange juice manufacturer telling us not to worry whether their product is made from concentrated or fresh oranges. Either way it quenches your thirst and the end result is the same but we still like to know what we're buying.

Originally Posted By: orlzx6r
Originally Posted By: tig1

I think zddp77 is referring to Mobil's usually vague responses sidestepping the question of base stock composition.

While I believe you should be concerned about the overall formulation of any oil your purchacing, getting a answer from Mobil basically telling us not to concern ourselves with such trivial matters such as base stock is a real turn off. It would be similar to a orange juice manufacturer telling us not to worry whether their product is made from concentrated or fresh oranges. Either way it quenches your thirst and the end result is the same but we still like to know what we're buying.

All oil companies have some info that is proprietary.

Pretty big words for a newbie,got any proof you can post up?

Some AMSOIL's have 5.7% NOACK, most Redline's NOACK are 6% (just minus the 0w's I think).

I have the same engine and the same worry. I run Redline 10w40 for its 6% NOACK and 4.7 HTHS and for it's high moly content and b/c it's an ester (Gr. V) basestock.

If you want all of that, you will have to pay for it. Buy it by the case from amazon and you can get it for around $9 (per quart avg) shipped if u have their prime thing like I do. There's also another racing website that ships free over $100 which puts it at just under $9 I think.

I would like to run AMSOIL too. If I did, it would be the AMSOIL Extended Life 10W-40 hands down! For one, it is the one AMSOIL personally recommended to me for my car (Mazdaspeed3 same engine as u). 5.7% NOACK, 4.3 HTHS. The slightly lower 9.0 TBN (vs their other 10w40 which has 12 but worse NOACK and HTHS) is on purpose, imo. This oil is built for our engine cause we shouldn't run any oil super-duper long. And 9.0 is plenty before we have to change due to direct injected fuel dilution and turbo beatings, etc, issues. So much higher of a TBN would probably end up just being a waste.

In fact, if u become a preferred customer, I think that is the best oil out there for the money. At only $5.30 a quart, man you can't touch that! In fact, I just resold myself on it. lol My next run and probably forever after will be AMSOIL 10w40 XL. I had a lengthy email discussion with AMSOIL about my car and they are very cool and we went back and forth for a long time and they answered every question. They even thought about it for a couple days before answering with 10w40 XL giving it some thought. I appreciated that!

Last edited:
Many oil companies do not show NOACK D 5800 teat results, such as ELF. I could give the links on this but I would get edited.

I believe IMHO that Mobile evades that question because if it contained very little PAO maybe fewer would use it. My opinion is that FULLY synthetic oils should contain resonable amounts of PAO's or POE's. i.e.,1-5% just does not cut it. The key word here is my "opinion"

Thinking more on this...

AMSOIL 10w40 XL
NOACK: 5.7%
HTHS: 4.3
TBN: 9.0
PRICE: $5.30

I would be interested if anyone could find me another oil with those numbers at all. Other than Redline, which does equal those specs, but it's twice the price. Motul's 300v if I remember has a much higher NOACK, something I dearly wanted to keep low to help with the intake valve deposit issues with D.I. A low NOACK is a must for me!

Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
I believe IMHO that Mobile evades that question because if it contained very little PAO maybe fewer would use it. My opinion is that FULLY synthetic oils should contain resonable amounts of PAO's or POE's. i.e.,1-5% just does not cut it. The key word here is my "opinion"

It seems this thread is quickly turning into another Mobile bash.

Based on the response Pennzoil provided to the question of NOACK % in PU, NOACK % is not a concern for DI engines. Pennzoil said VIIs were the issues. They said no more that that. If you buy into what Pennzoil said then the key to avoid valve deposits in DI engines is using an oil with very low VII but I find VII info difficult to find.

I know for (pretty) sure that the Mobil 1 0w40 is truly Grp IV [PAO] basestock (significant amount) oil. Which is like their signature oil. It's the only one that says European Formula on it (I believe) which is significant b/c of the Euro's much harder specs due to longer OCI's over there.

When I emailed Mobil 1, also super duper nice people. MJ, who is probably the coolest guy I've ever talked to, also considered my car, engine, habits, etc and his recommendation was M1 0w40.

The only other M1 oils that I might think would be really stout like their 0w40 would be the 15w40 racing oil and of course their superb HDEO's.

But for regular cars. I am in absolutely love with their green cap oils. In particular the 0w30 which I run in just about everything. That is a really great everyday car oil.

I wouldn't touch 5w30 with a 10 foot pole. Having said that, I love Mobil 1. Most of their oils are really good, some are great, one is meh. All imo, of course. And their people at M1 are really, truly cool guys. MJ even sent me an awesome sticker package and I have some really tasteful Mobil 1 stickers on my Speed 3 now. Man they are gorgeous. I have pics if anyone's interested. But yeah, I'm a pretty big M1 fan. :D

Last edited:
It doesn't take much PAO to get the properties they want. So yes they probably use the least amount to get the formulation they are seeking. Having said that, I was impressed that Pennzoil had no problem saying their "ultra" contains the esters needed to satisfy the Nissan "diamond-like" coatings. Being it is a specification for these type of engines, Mobil should answer the question like Pennzoil.

BTW, I still believe in Mobil motor oils as being the best. Wouldn't doubt they still use esters and PAO in their formulation to meet these requirements.

Originally Posted By: modularv8
It doesn't take much PAO to get the properties they want. So yes they probably use the least amount to get the formulation they are seeking. Having said that, I was impressed that Pennzoil had no problem saying their "ultra" contains the esters needed to satisfy the Nissan "diamond-like" coatings. Being it is a specification for these type of engines, Mobil should answer the question like Pennzoil.

BTW, I still believe in Mobil motor oils as being the best. Wouldn't doubt they still use esters and PAO in their formulation to meet these requirements.

Hold on a second... Pennzoil specifically said that Ultra had no Gp IV or V in it and made no bones about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back