Mobil 1 0W20 vs Toyota 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
TGMO is great stuff for it's intended purpose of being very fuel efficient. In most operational situations, the oil will be lighter than the M1. M1 0w20 covers a broader range of extreme temperatures better.

If I had to guess, the TGMO is a Group III/II? blend and the M1 is a mostly PAO/III+/AN/POE blend.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Either way Castrol Edge calls it a 0W20 oil, having the same PP as their 5W20. Thanks, I'm still confused by this, and Castrol's lousy PDS.

I checked last night out of curiosity, and Castrol's sheets certainly haven't improved since we last groused about them. Their stupid sheets simply make their oils look mediocre when they may actually not be.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Either way Castrol Edge calls it a 0W20 oil, having the same PP as their 5W20. Thanks, I'm still confused by this, and Castrol's lousy PDS.

I checked last night out of curiosity, and Castrol's sheets certainly haven't improved since we last groused about them. Their stupid sheets simply make their oils look mediocre when they may actually not be.

I agree, their PDS is not helping them, at least not here on Bitog.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

For any 0W oil the PP by defn has to be below -40 degrees.

The fact that TGMO 0W-20 is a 0W oil is incidental as it is not targeted at extreme cold performance but rather being as light as possible at more normal start-up temperatures.
In that regard I'm sure it contains no pour point suppressants.

It's the same with many 0W oils including M1 R 0W-30 and 0W-50. Do you think Mobil formulated their racing oils to perform at -40 degrees? Of course not. It's simply a consiquence of using high VI light base stock oils. Technically speaking if an oil meets the minimum 0W pumping spec's the formulator is supposed to label the oil as such.

I'm a little confused here. Edge with Titanium has a PP of -38°F, you mentioned below -40°F? or is it -40C? Either way Castrol Edge calls it a 0W20 oil, having the same PP as their 5W20. Thanks, I'm still confused by this, and Castrol's lousy PDS.

Boy did they destroy that oil with the move to API SM. JMO

-40F is the same as-40C.

Thanks, but their PDS says Pour Point, ºF (ºC) max -38(-39) -38(-39) , does that qualify it to be a 0W20 is what I'm wondering? It is also exactly the same as their 5W20.

I'm not splitting hairs I'm trying to learn, I thought the cut off was -40F. I also didn't realize -40F and -40C were the same.

Canadian Tire has a sale on Mobil 1 right now, so when I was there this morning I decided to pick up 4L of M1 AFE 0w20 for my Civic's next oil change. So that means I'll be switching from Toyota 0w20 to M1 0w20 obviously. Even with the 25% off it was still $8.99 per liter, compared to only $5.75 per liter for the Toyota 0w20. I'm not sure if M1 is worth the extra $12 per oil change or not, but ever since I put Mobil 1 in my Corvette I guess I've turned back into a Mobil 1 fan-boy again I guess!
smile.gif
All that will be left to switch over will be my fiancee's Jetta, it will get M1 0w40 on it's next oil change
smile.gif

From a technical standpoint, I'm a little bit disappointed that M1 0w20 is thicker under most operating conditions compared to the Toyota stuff I'm draining out. But I do believe M1 is much better than the Toyota stuff for extended intervals, so if I need to extend my interval beyond the norm (such as if the MM hits zero in the middle of winter sometime when I hate changing oil) I'm a bit safer. I do think M1 probably has a better add pack and a better base oil than the Toyota stuff too, so as an oil nut that will help me sleep better at night too
smile.gif

Patman I'm surprised you want to try M1 0W-20 vs the bargain we get on the Toyota product.
One thing you should be aware of is that the Cdn version of M1 AFE 0W-20 is only a SM oil and it's MRV and VI are not quite as good as the SN GF-5 US made oil.
Aside from the Toyota oil being much lighter on start-up which you mentioned it also has a more robust AW package and is available in the SN GF-5 formate.
But M1 does have a higher TBN level to the Toyota oil, so if one is planning on extending the OCI beyond 16,000 kms I can see an advantage. The likelyhood that M1 contains more PAO in it's formulation is academic to the performance of the finished oil in our climate.

Patman I'm surprised you want to try M1 0W-20 vs the bargain we get on the Toyota product.
One thing you should be aware of is that the Cdn version of M1 AFE 0W-20 is only a SM oil and it's MRV and VI are not quite as good as the SN GF-5 US made oil.

I too was surprised that I ended up buying this oil, considering how cheap the Toyota stuff is here! But price hasn't always been my top consideration when choosing an oil either.

FWIW, the 0w20 I got is actually the new SN formula. I probably would not have bought it if it were the old SM formula.

Yes I remember your favouring the SN version of the TGMO.
The SN version of M1 0W-20 must be have just arrived, as of a week ago it was still the SM version I saw on the shelves of my local Cdn Tire; same for M1 0W-40 which is still SM.
It's interesting that Imperial Oil haven't updated their web-site yet.

The SN version of M1 0W-20 must be have just arrived, as of a week ago it was still the SM version I saw on the shelves of my local Cdn Tire; same for M1 0W-40 which is still SM.

I'm hoping I'll be able to get the SN version of 0w40 before the next oil change in my fiancee's Jetta!

Originally Posted By: cp3
Patman, 0w40 is on sale this week. I picked up a few more but I didn't check, I just assumed it was still SM.

I was in a couple of different CTs and both of them only had the SM version of 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Canadian Tire has a sale on Mobil 1 right now, so when I was there this morning I decided to pick up 4L of M1 AFE 0w20 for my Civic's next oil change. So that means I'll be switching from Toyota 0w20 to M1 0w20 obviously. Even with the 25% off it was still $8.99 per liter, compared to only $5.75 per liter for the Toyota 0w20. I'm not sure if M1 is worth the extra $12 per oil change or not, but ever since I put Mobil 1 in my Corvette I guess I've turned back into a Mobil 1 fan-boy again I guess!
smile.gif

In my case it's the opposite. Toyota will come out to about $10 more for 5 qts then M1 AFE 0w20. Is it worth it to spend the money for the TGMO?

Originally Posted By: Valueline
Originally Posted By: Patman
smile.gif

In my case it's the opposite. Toyota will come out to about $10 more for 5 qts then M1 AFE 0w20. Is it worth it to spend the money for the TGMO?

While I like the Toyota oil, I'd have to say "probably not". If there were a $10.00 difference I'd use M1.

I looked at M1 0w-20 in W-mart yesterday. 5qt bottle was about $25. Single quarts were almost $7 each.

I put it in my C and have no problems with it. Good numbers, easy to get, and competitively priced. Win, win, win for me.

I have no idea what Toyota oil costs at the dealership, but I'm never there and it would be out of my way to pick some up. Not worth the trouble.

Originally Posted By: JOD

While I like the Toyota oil, I'd have to say "probably not". If there were a $10.00 difference I'd use M1.

5 qt jugs of PP, M1 and SynPower are usually 25 bucks at WMT. Sometimes less. Although I Toyota 0w20 is a little bit cheaper then Honda 0w20, which I found interesting, as it seems the opinion of Toyota is much higher.

Try this for a better deal on TGMO oil: Go to your local Toyota dealer's parts website and search this 12 qt. case part number (002790WQTE).
My dealer wouldn't match the online price in person but said I could order it online and choose local pickup. I've checked several dealers and noted prices from $60-$70 online.
Also check your local Lexus dealer with the same p/n. That's where I saw the $60/cs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back