Advice needed for 2015 Subaru Outback BS9 that consume?

This is the first FB I’ve heard that’s had a dripping problem. Over the years I’ve done 3 of my EJs’ VC & spark plug tube seals but haven’t had any issues with the FA/FBs yet.

Same here. 140k miles on my FB and zero leaks or burns. Even the EJ’s I’ve rocked in the past just had weeps here and there.

It was definitely a rare case it seems. I still have the oil stain on my garage floor to remind me of the whole thing. :oops:

Cam carriers and covers on both sides. Passenger side got to the point it was dripping pretty bad. One of the worst ones my dealer had seen. It definitely had plenty of undercoating on that side :oops:
Might want to check/change PCV if it's this bad. If it's bad might be pressurizing crankcase and causing these issues

My '99 Legacy GT Wagon with EJ DOHC engine unsurprisingly developed weeping cam carriers at about 10 years old/ 100k miles. Switching from regular Mobil 1 to the HM version mostly stopped problem; after that, consumed about 1 quart per 2000 miles. That car is still in service with a young relative.

Old joke: "If your Subaru isn't leaking any oil, it just means that there isn't any left in it."

Guess I got lucky with my 2017 Outback with the 2.5and 62k on it. I have had mine for little over 2 years put a little over 40k on it. Burns or leaks no oil. Have been running Castrol 5w30 Edge or Edge ep in it for 3-4 k oci.

Last edited:
Back